Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... What are your experiences with slick trick blood trails even the trails with marginal shots. The reason I ask is because I am probably going to switch from rage and I am wondering how much of a difference there will be in blood trails. I am switching due to penetration problems with rage when it hits bone.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I've had great success with ST standards. I shot the mags but it wasn't a big enough deal to me and I had tons of the standard extra blades still so I just kept shooting them. Most will agree that shot placement is the key factor with ANY head. But with marginal shots, I've really only had one experience with it. The arrow went in at a steep angle into her back reaching down into the lunges. It was a quarter to shot so I didn't get a pass through. I believe it hit a branch which caused that angle but it was hard to tell at dusk. The first 10 yards didn't show sign of blood but I saw where she went. Once I picked up the trail, it was fairly easy going. I still had to look with my flash light a bit but I knew I would find it. She went 50 yards and pilled up.

Like I said, it doesn't matter what head you shoot, you will get really good trails with good shot placement. I've never hit bone YET with these heads so I can't really say how they will perform. All but one of my shots were pass throughs and the arrows burried DEEP into the ground on the other side. IF I ever do hit bone, then I don't think they will have much problem getting the penetration needed for a clean kill.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
I have heard stories of good and bad but my personal experience with Grizz Tricks has been great when it comes to blood trails.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have shot the Mag's for a long time with great results. None of the deer ran far but there were a few times blood trail could have been better. I, am going to try Rage out this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I took 6 deer with the ST standards last year. If you shoot em broadside in the lungs they will not go far and the blood trail will be just fine. Farthest deer went 60 yards for me. Switching to NAP Killzones this season just for the fun of trying new products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts