Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm interested in getting some slick trick or grizz trick broadheads. Any preference on the models? Also, I've thought about getting the 125 gr. in order to add more weight for accuracy and penetration. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I generally shoot Axis arrows with four fletchings and i would think that would correspond well with the grizz tricks as well. how are your arrows set up?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I shoot the 125's as well, fly well, kill well. Shot a doe in late season in PA with them. Shot was a hard quartering at 40yrds, arrow entered just infront of the hind leg, and penetrated to the center of the chest cavity to the brisket. Deer made it 50yrds. I found a mark from the head in the upper/front chest cavity but did not penetrate through, but it got up through liver, lung, and the heart on its way through. I suspect on a perfect world broadside shot that head would have painted the forrest floor red. I'm more than satisfied with them considering the shot given.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
Grizz Tricks are great broadheads IMO. Big holes with good blood trails in my experience with them. I would suggest however that in order to achieve optimal accuracy you arrow spine is more crucial then weight forward. If you increase the weight in the front you also manipulate the spine into being weaker then before. As a result, the arrow will oscillate or flex more and thereby rob you of accuracy. So long as you have a stiff enough spine to add weight and remain within the suggested spine strength you should be fine. If you are already cutting it close and add more weight then you are selling yourself short. Download OT2 (On Target 2) they may still have a free trial period where you can punch in your info and see where your spine falls.

Also, with fixed heads and 2" vanes I have found that hard helicals work best. I use the AZ mini and it does a fantastic job. I prefer to use 3 vanes and 2" give or take to minimize drag so as to improve trajectory. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
Gt2 makes great holes and are tough!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I first tried them with Easton axis 400s and they were all over the place. Switched to 340s and they impact and fly just like field points all the way to 60 yards which is as far as I tested them. I have killed several deer with them. Just looking at the broad head you wouldn’t expect them to do as much damage as they do. They punch BIG slug holes!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also use Axis 340's. What broad head grain do you shoot deafcon2? TimmyZ7, do you think the 340's have enough spine strength? thanks for the responses everybody!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I shoot the 100 grain. I also have 50 grain brass inserts installed. I would think you would be ok with 100s or 125s. I wont be changing my hunting arrow setup any time soon for sure.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I have some stick trick mags, grizz trick 2 and viper tricks I plan on doing some testing with this summer to see which will be in my quiver this fall...

For my hunting arrows which ever I chose will be on an fmj with 75 grain inserts and 100 grain tips.... about 565 grains

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have killed 2 deer with grizz tricks, one complete pass thru neither went 25 yds. Fly with field tips to 50yds,28" fmj 340 65# bow.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just my .02 cents but I started with the Standards in 2010 and no complaints. Used the mags in 2011 with even better results. Used the Grizz 2 last year and even more pleased. Here's a link to a video with some follow up on a Elk that I shot with the Mags last year and at the end at the 10:00 mark I shoot a small buck with the grizz (self filmed). You will see the blood at impact on the ground and all over the tree that he smacked into as he ran off. Brought the dog just to give him the practice, not that he was needed. Pretty much just take your pick and go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIG51eE8nI

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
The Grizz Trick is the way to go imo. They shoot wonderfully and leave the meanest gash from a fixed blade possible.

The blood trails are amazing.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
I also use Axis 340's. What broad head grain do you shoot deafcon2? TimmyZ7, do you think the 340's have enough spine strength? thanks for the responses everybody!
Any spine that is matched properly with a bow will shoot them well. If you tell us your specs; draw weight, draw length, bow and arrows then a basic determination can be made and if time is not too constrained I will run the numbers for you and see what OT2 suggests.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm hearing many positive reviews on these slick tricks....I may have to check them out currently looking to switch my g5 montecs don't really seem to leave a good blood trail as I would like....

MR6 Switchback XT

·
GUT DEER ????
4,595 Posts
anything from slick trick and you cant go wrong

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363918064.128368.jpg
This is another members pic I used but it is consistent in my experience with them

1 - 20 of 38 Posts