Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up some new ST magnum replacement blades the other day, and I was really curious if the "new Mercedes" steel would test out any differently than the original steel. I was shooting my Elite GTO at about 10 yards into my blob target. My blob is fairly new, so I was able to shoot into an undamaged portion of the target with each shot.

First, I tested the original blades. They were razor sharp at the start of the test (verified by shaving my arm). After one shot into my blob target, I tested the sharpness of the blades. In my opinion, they were surprisingly dull and would no longer shave hair off my arm. I also tested the sharpness by seeing if they would cut paper. The blades would cut paper, but not very efficiently.

Second, I tested the new "Mercedes" blades. After one shot into my blob target, I was again surprised by how dull the blades were. This time, the blades would shave a few hairs here and there, but they were no longer razor sharp. However, the blades did cut through paper more easily than the original steel.

Lastly, I decided to test one of my Montecs to see if blade angle made any difference. These were not new, out of the package, but they were razor sharp via my diamond flat stone / leather strop (again verified by shaving my arm). After one shot into the blob, the edge seemed the dullest of the three heads tested. The BH would no longer shave hair and would not cut into paper.

To summarize my un-scientific results, the Mercedes steel seems to hold the edge better than the original steel. The higher blade angle of the Montecs seemed to negatively affect the edge retention.

My question is, how in the world can we expect our BH blades to be razor sharp after passing through hide (and maybe rib bones) and entering the chest cavity? Are the serrations as found on the Buzzcut worth taking a look at?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
In my experience, the blob for some reason, will dull broadheads VERY fast compared to my 18in1. That being said, I use a KME sharpener and DMT diamond stone to sharpen my BH's. Last year I shot a buck from 30' up, entering just to one side of the spine and exiting a solid mass of bone in his brisket. I was using a Magnus Buzzcut 125. I could still easily shave with the broadhead even after passing through hide and a rather thick mass of bone/cartilage. I think blade angle is the key element in holding an edge when passing through any media. The serrated part is not the part I could shave with btw.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting experience with the Buzzcut, thanks for sharing. Those long tips cause me some concern if I happen to hit a heavy bone (curling). I just cannot imagine that long tip will not curl and inhibit penetration when hitting a heavy bone.

·
74,535 Posts
Well my mercedes blades will be brand new when they cut good holes through my deer. Sharpest blades I have ever witnessed.

I dont practice with new blades.
DB

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Thanks for the post! I do think there is a huge difference between shooting into a blob and shooting through hide. If you shot two shots into your blob: one with hide over the blob and one without it; there would be little or no difference between the two heads. They will be plenty sharp to pass right through most animals, for sure. Just don't shoot them through a blob a few times, then shoot them at an animal without resharpening, and you will be fine :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Interesting experience with the Buzzcut, thanks for sharing. Those long tips cause me some concern if I happen to hit a heavy bone (curling). I just cannot imagine that long tip will not curl and inhibit penetration when hitting a heavy bone.
I have killed several deer with stingers/buzzcuts and only curled one tip. It was on a 48 yard spine shot. I was shooting a 360 grain arrow at 237 feet per second. The arrow went most of the way through the spine before breaking. It was barely curled too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts