Archery Talk Forum banner

Slick Trick or Expandable?

759 19
I've heard that as far as fixed blades go, Slick Tricks fly most similar to field points. Obviously one argument for expandables is that they fly so much like field points. My question is, am I sacrificing reliability (i.e. - blades fully opening upon impact) if I buy expandables, or should I go with the Slick Tricks even if they don't fly quite as closely to field points as expandables? If I buy an expandable, what kind? Thanks in advance for the advice.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
25,353 Posts
if you want a head that flys like a feild tip and causes crazy damage look at the crimson talon xt heads.

they have 3 curved blades, 3 59 degree offset bleeders and a trocar tip 1 1/4 cut.

it is one of the best flying heads i have used, magnus is the best thus far for me.

i never had to adjust my sights or anything with thses heads and they screw through the animal leaving a massive hole.

if you want mech damage in a fixed heads you got it. 4 heads for $29 sweet deal.

www.spintite.com check them out

· Registered
11,415 Posts
If your bows tuned to perfection, and head will fly like a field point.

Slicks tricks are ones that fly well even if your bows out of tune (slightly)

I wouldnt reccomend shooting mechanicals if your bows out of tune. Your going to loose more energy than you need when you arrow hits the intended target.

But saying that i haev had good luck with slick tricks and grim reapers and spitfires

· Banned
18,714 Posts
Why not both ??....I usually carry both 100 gr Slicks and Rocket 100 Gr Steelheads or Sidewinders in my quiver. Rocket is coming out with a new 1 1/2 inch cut version of the 100 gr Steelhead.....supposedly out by the end of May some time....I'll be passin' one thru a deer this year....:thumbs_up....:wink:....

· Registered
10,641 Posts
I use both tricks and expandables, especially those made by rocket. Bottom line is they both work equally well. I do trust the tricks a bit more for angled shots and they provide very good blood trails. The expandables I like better for areas where I might shoot farther or on windy days. Either way is fine, but the trick is one of the baddest fixed heads around.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
I use both tricks and expandables, especially those made by rocket. Bottom line is they both work equally well. I do trust the tricks a bit more for angled shots and they provide very good blood trails. The expandables I like better for areas where I might shoot farther or on windy days. Either way is fine, but the trick is one of the baddest fixed heads around.
+1. They have the same POI so I carry both.

· Registered
960 Posts
If ST's fly well for you then use them. They are a great head.

· Registered
32 Posts
I use Slicktricks and did not have to resight my bow last year and they punch one heck of a hole.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
I've heard that as far as fixed blades go, Slick Tricks fly most similar to field points. Obviously one argument for expandables is that they fly so much like field points. My question is, am I sacrificing reliability (i.e. - blades fully opening upon impact) if I buy expandables, or should I go with the Slick Tricks even if they don't fly quite as closely to field points as expandables? If I buy an expandable, what kind? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Great news! They both work when put in the right spot :D.

My only experience with ST's are watching some guys practice with them on the AT hog hunt last year, and being in the blind with a3Dhunter when he shot a turkey. They flew like darts...accurately...and deadly.

That being said, I enjoy the use of Rocket Steelheads and have no reason to change. They perform perfectly and penetrate like nothing else.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
I've shot the "tricks" in the past and they are excellent b-heads. They fly like field points and come as sharp as ANY b-head you could find. You really can't go wrong with them. However, that being said, I'm lookin' for larger wounds and am very satisfied with the Rage 2 bladers I shot last season..... they are wicked! :thumbs_up

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Go with the tricks their all steel they do not have a aluminum ferrule. Hence there tougher and in my opinion sharper. No moving parts less to go wrong.:thumbs_up

· Muzzy61
1,795 Posts
Well as you might expect with my user name i have shot Muzzys for years. they are a great broadhead.
Last year i planned my first midwest hunt ever and thinking that I might have a longer shot then I shoot here in FL. I spent all year shooting Muzzy's, slick tricks, rage, and grim reapers to see which flew the best out of my bow.
The rage and slicktricks were the best. I shot two deer here here in FL. in the early season. One each with the slickticks and rage.

I deciced to use the slickticks on my midwest hunt. I shot a 136" 275lb whitetail at 20 yards. He went 15 yards and dropped. While i certainly didn't need it in this case, I had a blood trail a blind man could follow.

I have been converted. Just call me slicktrick61 from now own.

· WapitiBob
6,941 Posts
2 bulls with Spitfires (15,18 yards), next bull with Slick Tricks (2 steps), back to Spitfires for last years bull (20 yards).
My experience has been .... More blood, quicker death with the Spitfires.
Can't speak for anybody else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.