Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started shooting 100 gr. magnums last year. The only deer i shot was a doe at 8 yards but no pass thru. It only went 30yrds and the lungs were pretty much liquified when i field dressed it. Im shooting 305fps with 29 inch arrows btw. I was just wondering if anyone else had penetration problems with these.

·
74,535 Posts
I have yet to stick a deer with one. Im shooting 280 fps with Goldtip XT 75/95XT

Attachments

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Not at all.... even when I was shooting less than 40lbs I always had pass-throughs with slicktricks. Anywhere from 20-35yds. Sure you didn't hit the opposite shoulder or something?

·
Registered
742 Posts
used grizztricks last year and it blew right through my buck at like 13 yards from the treestand, heres pics

entrance

exit, grizztrick cut the leg bone in half

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itwas a broadside shot entering about the middle of the rib cage and ending up near the ribs on the opposite side. May have hit ribs but no shoulder im sure.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I started shooting 100 gr. magnums last year. The only deer i shot was a doe at 8 yards but no pass thru. It only went 30yrds and the lungs were pretty much liquified when i field dressed it. Im shooting 305fps with 29 inch arrows btw. I was just wondering if anyone else had penetration problems with these.
i too am trying them this year for the first time so i cant say anything about them other than they are field point accurate. speed doesnt have as much to do with penetration as you think. you can be shooting 380 fps and still have penetration problems if you dont have the right arrow weight to speed combination. you will get more penetration with a heavier arrow than a lighter one all the time. what you want is the optimum kinetic energy from your set up. in order to achieve this you will need to do some testing with different weight arrows and a chronograph. the eqaution to calculate KE is: mass x velocity sqauared divided by 450240. by doing all this and finding the sweet spot in your bow for the most KE and speed will help you with your penetration issues.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mass is referring to the weight of arrow in this case.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I have only shot 1 Kudu cow with 125 grain Slick Trick Magnum at 20 yrds.
The arrow continued for 25-30 yrds and dented the point of the broadhead on a stone by 1-2 millimeter.
She moved 25-30 yrds before she dropped.
I shoot a Bowtech 340 Destoyer set at 60 lbs and max draw length.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive shot a dozen deer with them and had pass throughs on all but a couple that hit the opposite shoulder. The deer dont go far but I defintely am not getting crazy blood trails like Ive seen with vortexs and other large mechanicals that make it spray..I think ill switch to vortexs this year actually..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
how about penetration thru BOTH shoulders? yep....

dont pay attention to the arrow angle. there was only about a 4" piece of shaft left on the head. hit her on the should on the other side, exited high on the shoulder pictured.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I shoot magnums and I have had no issues with pass thrus...even blew through a boar's shield using one. Make sure equipment is tuned properly and your arrow is spined out correctly...this will effect optimal performance and flight if it's not.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i have yet to not pass thru and that includes a 800# canadian bear.i find them incredibly accurate and stupid sharp.if i can have a fixed blade shoot like these i wouldnt mess w a mech head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
all of mine have blown right through the deer also. I just got the grizztrick 2's and i'm looking forward to trying them out this year.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've shot 3 bucks and a doe with them and all complete pass through with one exiting out the opposite shoulder. I just don't see myself changing heads for a long time. Just a good reliable head:)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Shot a buck with a st magnum in 09 complete pass-through. He was only 12 yards away. I never did find the arrow in the soybeans. Bow was a pse diamondback 28in. draw 60lbs.

·
Archery Addict
9,211 Posts
I've busted through ribs on both sides and still the arrow buried deep into the ground on the other side on several deer with the Slick Trick Mags. I just bought another pack so now I have a quiver full of them on each of my bows. They are the best flying, deepest penetrating, and sharpest broadheads I've used in years. No problems with them here.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts