Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I shot thunderhead 100's for well over 20 years.I always had plaining with them.After hearing all of the happy users of ST's I thought it may be time for a change.I switched last year and was extremely happy with the.They fly great,no plaining,right with my field tips.I stuck six deer with them last year and will continue to use them this year.I'm shooting the 100 mags.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
ST is a better head. Used to shoot thunderheads, and while its a great head, it doesn't compare IMO. The ST is stronger, better cut being 4 blade, all steel, and #1 it flies better (they'll both fly good out of a well tuned bow, but....).

·
Registered
610 Posts
I shoot Thunderhead 125's and have never had a problem. Good solid head that is easy to replace blades.

·
brandon170
1,255 Posts
I shot ST's last year. Shot one doe and hit a little high but the exit was just behind her opposite arm pit. She didn't leave much of a blood trail at all. I'm shooting 100gr Thunderheads this year. Just shot them today and they fly great on a Gold Tip 22 with Blazers.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Killed a ton of deer w/Thunderhead 100`s, always flew great when bow was tuned right....Slick Tricks fly great but wont kill a deer any deader.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Both are great heads.Both are really sharp,sharper than most.The only edge to me is the availability of thunderheads which can be bought almost any walmart or bowshop.

·
registered
1,028 Posts
I shot Thunderheads and had two problems with them. It was hard to put the bladess in and I kept using the washer which locked them. Secondly I tried everything and couldn't get them tuned the way I wanted so I restricted my shooting to very short distances. I put a Slick Trick on away back when there were only what became known as magnums; at that time there was only one head. I screwed it on and as I kept backing up while shooting it, I found that it shot right with my field points to 50 yards (about as far as usually shoot). Extremely strong and great locking head with no parts to lose. Sharp and deadly on game; I have never looked back, as Slick Tricks did everything I ask of a broadhead.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I shot 100 gr.Thunderheads for several years and found it alittle hard to tune them, it took some time to get them flying right. The Slick Trick hit the mark the 1st shot. Very little tuning is needed with STs. I think they are the best flying fixed head on the market today.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
My uncle still shoots Thunderheads out of his Bowtech Stryker Crossbow @ 400+ FPS and kills deer out to 60+ yards every year. They dont plane, and no tuning required. He just screws em on and shoots deer. If they fly true at over 400fps, they will do just fine in any other setup.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I shot Thunderheads and had two problems with them. It was hard to put the bladess in and I kept using the washer which locked them. Secondly I tried everything and couldn't get them tuned the way I wanted so I restricted my shooting to very short distances. I put a Slick Trick on away back when there were only what became known as magnums; at that time there was only one head. I screwed it on and as I kept backing up while shooting it, I found that it shot right with my field points to 50 yards (about as far as usually shoot). Extremely strong and great locking head with no parts to lose. Sharp and deadly on game; I have never looked back, as Slick Tricks did everything I ask of a broadhead.

Same thing for me too. But last year I tried the Grizztrick 125's with the most awesome results of any bh I've ever shot. They hit with field points out to 40 yards which is the furtherest I shoot. :thumbs_up

I always got Thunderheads to hit pretty well, but it took time doing so and even though I got them to group, those groups were always off to the left for whatever reason. And I dont see why I should have to resight my bow for any broadhead.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Both are sharp and tough. Both shoot great with compounds. Slicks fly great out of anything including xbows.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I shot ST's last year. Shot one doe and hit a little high but the exit was just behind her opposite arm pit. She didn't leave much of a blood trail at all.
One poor shot, does not a statistical sample make.

I've used Thunderheads in the past, and they are a very good head. I've also shot a fair pile of deer with ST's. Not sure what the blood trail differences are, but a high shot with a 2" cut mechanical leaves a pretty poor blood trail in my experience, so I have a hard time imagining that the small difference between Slicks and Thunderheads would make.

Over the past several years, I've settled on Slicks, Nitrons, and Muzzy's, all 1"-1 1/16" cut for fixed blade BH's. In every case, they have been just as lethal as the larger replaceable blade and cut on contact heads I've used since 1967 when I started bowhunting. Shot placement kills deer quickly, not 1 1/4" or even 2" cut diameters. Shot placement also determines the amount of leakage after the shot, if you need that to find them afterwords. These days I use fixed blade heads from my lighter bows only, for deer. The lower drag from the smaller diameter cut is better for penetration. For my heavier bows, I shoot Steelheads and Spitfires as they are less prone to wind drift, and shooter error when you get cold and stiff. They also seem more stable at 290-300fps.

If you stay with a fixed blade for hunting, legacy Slick Tricks may be the best BH available today.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
nope not everyone feels the same but there really is no comparison slick trick any day...tougher bigger hole fly better
For you. Not everyone feels the same. Just saying.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I used and killed more (30+) deer with Thunderhead 125s than any other head. But every year I'd reset my sights to shoot them and practice with BHs after season started. I do have a soft spot in my heart for them because they do put deer down and are reliable. As long as you know you can put it where it belongs, shoot them. That said I do think that SlickTricks fly much better and being all steel are a much better head. Funny thing is the 1st pack of STs I had I sold right away because they looked so tiny. But after seeing all the "slug" holes I bought some more and they performed great. So far I have 2 kills with standards, 4 with Mags, and 2 with Razors. All performed equaly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts