Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a model of slick tricks thats blade system is stronger than the other models? I have the magnums and have broken the blades multiple times this year on deer and pigs. Love the heads just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what they did.

·
Registered
17,326 Posts
Standard would be a little strong due to shorter blades.

Hear there is a new ST coming out this week at the ATA show

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to use nothing but slick tricks and like you I ran into the same issue with the blades breaking. As far as I know they use the same blades for all of their different heads. Luckily replacement blades aren’t too expensive

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only shoot whitetails with them. I use standard size, 100 grain. I have never broken a blade. This year, I shot two deer within three days with the same head after re-sharpening the blades. It just hasn't been a problem for me, so I was surprised to hear about this.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Surprised to hear this as well. I’ve harvested many deer with slick tricks and never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There’s the new professional series Slick Tricks that are advertised as stainless steel. I’m not sure if they are referring to the body of the head or the blade.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
My mag blades get nicked...bent or break depending on hit. But so does every other head I've shot. Besides the Magnus stingers Ive shot. Broadhead blades are a one and done for me. I will use blades that survive and resharpen...use as a finish off arrow of ever needed. Otherwise there is always a fresh head on my kill arrows.

Mags just kill for me. Quickly and short track jobs.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Interesting, I switched to Slick Trick mags this Whitetail season and broke a blade. In defense of the head i think I hit the offside shoulder/leg, deer went on a death run in between tight trees probably breaking the blade as I didn't get pass through. Found one half of a blade underneath my arrow but couldn't find the other half. Wasn't too thrilled field dressing that deer after dark without knowing if that blade was floating around the chest cavity or not. Great blood trail though and they shot lights out to 60 yds., Will order new blades and use again for spring Turkey.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
WAIT A DARN SECOND HERE.....
Broken blades on a white tail? Blades chip and roll over and dull, are you serious?????
BTW - this is one of the greatest "loss" issues going. Especially on pigs. The thin bladed broadhead blades get destroyed on impact and cannot cut afterward. Trust me, initial penetration of the intercostal space followed by bilateral pnuemothroax and laceration of the pulmonary arteries (or something like that), happens best if the blades are still sharp after cutting the hair, hide and seriously man, whimpy rib bones. I wonder if they cut their costs on blade manufacturing.....just saying.

Thanks to Jboyce23 for the honesty. It happens a lot. I don't think there is a solution if ST doesn't make thicker blades.
I will say, the magnus comments are spot on. They keep going and going.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,783 Posts
I have shot a bunch with Slick Tricks and haven't broken a blade yet. I'm not saying it can't, won't or didn't happen just in probably 15 kills or more with them it's never happened to me. I shoot a lot of different heads because I like to see & learn first hand rather than rely on others.

What I can tell you is a solid blade is stronger and that's one of the main reason they make em'. So if a broken blade bothers you and you are seeing this too much switch.

But like everything in archery the downside to solid heads are they can be harder to tune because they grab more air. The solids are also more quiet.......pick yer' poison.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not a lot of kills with standard tricks but haven't broken a blade yet.

But for me broadheads are one and done even if they come out perfect they don't get shot at anouther animal, I test them and use them as practice heads are varmint heads around the house.

I think any broadhead made by any company could have blades break off, just depends on what the blade contacts on its way in and throw and what it hits after it pass's throw is my thinking.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I've killed over 70 deer with slick tricks and never broke a blade,In fact,I killed at least four deer and a turkey in the same year with the same head and blades.All I did was clean off my arrow and touch up the blades.I stocked up on heads and blades before the company was sold so I have no idea if the quality has changed.

·
Treestand Assassin
3,102 Posts
I've been using ST's for years. Never a broken blade but I have had nicked blades.
I've shot trees without a mark.
I think the nicks are from burying in the ground.
The shots that didn't bury do not have any marks.
If your blades broke, I'd guess it's the death run that contributed or rocks in the dirt.

·
Shoot straight!
3,620 Posts
No broken blades here. Actually last year shot my buck directly through the shoulder blade hitting the thick bone and head and blades still look pretty good considering. Was actually impressed.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
I've been extremely happy with the results of slick tricks. Zero broken or bent blades in 6 whitetails and two yotes. I know that's not a huge number, I let most deer walk. In comparison to my results with two quite popular mechanicals, I made the right choice going to slicks. I initially purchased 6 slick tricks (3 standard and 3 mags) and I am still using 4 of the 6 for hunting (two for target practice). I've been able to simply resharpen the blades.

That said, every head can fail depending on the senario.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Surprised to hear this as well. I’ve harvested many deer with slick tricks and never an issue.

This... Absolutely love them... I've shot both Mags and standards... never a single issue..

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I've been using ST's for years. Never a broken blade but I have had nicked blades.
I've shot trees without a mark.
I think the nicks are from burying in the ground.
The shots that didn't bury do not have any marks.
If your blades broke, I'd guess it's the death run that contributed or rocks in the dirt.
Gene,I thought you died.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts