Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My broadheads were hitting 8" left of my field points at 60 yards. They shot only a little left at 20 yards and it increased with distance. Im shooting a Bowtech Patriot at 70 lbs, 29" Goldtip 300 ultralight pro arrow, and 100 grain slicktrick magnums. My arrows are shooting perfect bullet holes through paper and Im not getting any fletching contact with my rest. The Slicktricks are grouping very tight 2-3" at 60 yards just they were hitting left. I sighted in the Slicktricks and now they group great and hit where they are suppose to but my fieldpoints hit to the right. I like to target shoot a lot during the hunting season but shooting only broadheads would destroy all my targets in a hurry and I cant stand practicing with my fieldpoints since they are off. Im guessing that there is nothing I can do to get them to both hit in the same place but thought I would check to see if Im missing something in the tuning department.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mot, I had the same problem earlier in the year. I too like to shoot too much to deal with just sighting in my broadheads and go hunt. As long as your arrow spine is correct and since your grouping fine with your broadheads, your arrows are probably spinning fine. Use the Easton Method found throughout this site and move in very tiny increments (1/32" at a time). Patience, You will get there. I made the mistake of moving too much and over doing it. It gets pretty frustrating then. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
people say you can't get broadheads and fieldpoints to hit the same place. I've never had that problem because of the way I tune my bow. this will hopefully help you some. I tune my broadheads to my fieldpoints. Meaning, I will shoot my fieldpoint and if it hits the spot and my broadhead hits 3in to the right I move my rest to my fieldpoint. It dosen't take much, I mean just a hair!! sometimes. It might make your fieldpoint move alittle at first and them it all comes together after some trial and error. Like the thread before mine don't move it to much or you'll be over adjusted. IMO just because a bow is paper tuned dosen't mean its broadhead tuned. the broadhead actually steers your arrow not your fletching. it only stablizes it. This will work I promise!! I'm shooting a couple different broadheads right now, one being a slicktrick that I'm taking elk hunting in 10 days and the other a magnus buzzcut I'm also taking. I'm shooting them both at 60yds along with my fieldpoints and doin real good!! Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to share this since I know I was in the same boat a long time ago till a friend read a article on tuning like this. Its worked ever since and hope it helps you. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried moving the rest to the right to get the broadheads to come in to the right. The further right I went the worst it got. Then I moved it left from the original position and it started getting better. It ended up about 3/16" to the left of the original spot. Now both fieldpoints and broadheads are hitting the same spot out to 60 yds and grouping well. I didnt think it would paper tune afterwards but I tried it and its still shooting bulletholes. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
337 Posts
paper tune you bow with broadheads we have fixed many problems this way!!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Southern Sam said:
people say you can't get broadheads and fieldpoints to hit the same place. I've never had that problem because of the way I tune my bow. this will hopefully help you some. I tune my broadheads to my fieldpoints. Meaning, I will shoot my fieldpoint and if it hits the spot and my broadhead hits 3in to the right I move my rest to my fieldpoint. It dosen't take much, I mean just a hair!! sometimes. It might make your fieldpoint move alittle at first and them it all comes together after some trial and error. Like the thread before mine don't move it to much or you'll be over adjusted. IMO just because a bow is paper tuned dosen't mean its broadhead tuned. the broadhead actually steers your arrow not your fletching. it only stablizes it. This will work I promise!! I'm shooting a couple different broadheads right now, one being a slicktrick that I'm taking elk hunting in 10 days and the other a magnus buzzcut I'm also taking. I'm shooting them both at 60yds along with my fieldpoints and doin real good!! Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to share this since I know I was in the same boat a long time ago till a friend read a article on tuning like this. Its worked ever since and hope it helps you. Good luck

Sorry, but your comment that a bh steers an arrow is totally incorrect...Vanes and feathers steer an arrow, as a bh competes with them for flight control.

Dave

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
well.... what ever works for you deer dave is fine, but I have a different opinion on the matter. I know this works for me and the article that was wrote makes sense. I can't tell you where the article is now or who wrote it, but I've been tuning like this for years and have had no trouble with shooting high speeds 300fps with thuderheads 100's - Rocky premiers 100's and other large cutting heads that are not the low profile heads of today. which is fine everybody tunes there bow different and whatever works for them is fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Saying the broadhead steers the arrow is completely incorrect is a pretty harsh statement. Because it does steer the arrow the first several feet after the shot then the vanes and feathers take over and try to overcome what the broadhead is doing and straightens the arrow up. If this were not the case field tips and broadheads would shoot the same regardless of how the bow is tuned.
Good Hunting and God Bless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts