Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a few shots yesterday in my backyard with my chill x and my carter Attraction. Half way through a shot and suddenly, Smack! My release came off the string loop sending my fist and Carter release straight into my bottom lip and boy did that hurt. Tore my bottom lip open and felt some pain on my top tooth. I am thinking that the string loop came off as I was pulling and possibly twisting the Carter Attraction back to get to anchor. After, I checked to see if it was the release that had opened prematurely but it was still closed. It seems as if the hook is barely big enough to fit the string loop and any twist can have it come off. In any case, had to miss work because of a huge bottom lip and a nasty blister that formed. My daughter looked at me and said, "You better tuck that lip in boy before you get it caught in a trip wire". I laughed my butt off. It is from a great line in the movie "Forest Gump". I am certain that I am not alone in this and has probably happened to others. I am glad I did not chip a tooth. It did leave me nervous about using my carter attraction though. Will probably look into buying something that completely captures the string loop without the risk of it coming off. A bit gun shy I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was working on my nocking point location I had a D- loop come untied on me mid draw. Wacked myself in the mouth so hard that my jaw was sore for a few days. Now I'm starting more away from my face.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Near miss, could of been worse.

Attach photo for us to see: "It seems as if the hook is barely big enough to fit the string loop and any twist can have it come off"

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Ouch, I'm glad is wasn't worse. I'd be a bit gun shy too...

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,095 Posts
I've done that NUMEROUS times... Stans and Whalens are the most prone to it. All of mine were release-hand position related. All of them were my fault.

·
Socket Man
24,236 Posts
That is more of a hook release, it isn't supposed to close completely. Hooks are very safe and a good choice, I would take a look at jesse broadwater videos and watch him draw his bow and how his release is at the perfect angle and remains there during the drawing process and how his back arm moves through with a high rear elbow and settles in. I have a feeling you have a weird draw cycle causing you a problem.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Near miss, could of been worse.

Attach photo for us to see: "It seems as if the hook is barely big enough to fit the string loop and any twist can have it come off"
I can't download pictures to this site for some reason.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeeoow!!! Sorry to hear about it...hope things are feeling better. I don't ever want to have that happen to me, but now I'll think more about it every time I draw.:embara:

Bill

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
Is that anything like when you're pulling the blanket up over you and your hands slips off sending your fists right into your face? I mean.....I've never done that but I've heard rumors :D

·
Socket Man
24,236 Posts
You don't have to turn your head and sky draw to not punch yourself in the face, once you learn to draw a bow correctly you can have a misfire and not hit yourself in the face. I have had a few misfires in the last few months because I was messing with a couple of my releases and I draw back to my anchor in a straight manor but I have learned how to draw correctly over the years.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Ahh I have done this twice! Comes with the joy of working on your own equipment. But the first time wasn't my fault i was at a shop shooting some different bows and had an Insanity and was shooting away and about the third draw the d loop let go punched myself in the lip busted it and bleed the shop owner freaked and thought i was going to sew lol. Needless to say I got some price cuts for a while from that place.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You don't have to turn your head and sky draw to not punch yourself in the face, once you learn to draw a bow correctly you can have a misfire and not hit yourself in the face. I have had a few misfires in the last few months because I was messing with a couple of my releases and I draw back to my anchor in a straight manor but I have learned how to draw correctly over the years.
My thoughts, also.

·
Socket Man
24,236 Posts
The secret to drawing a bow and not punching yourself is to not use your bicep, your elbow travels in a arc up and over your shoulder and you draw with your back muscles and the rear of your arm. This way if your release lets go early your bicep isn't under tension and won't snap your hand towards your face.

Guys who draw with a low elbow where their hand and elbow travel just under their chin near their peck muscle are the guys who try and draw with their bicep and tense up their entire arm including the triceps and biceps and they get the best split lips.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Go to youtube and do a search on Dave Cousins and watch how he draws a bow.
Not a chance of hitting yourself in the mouth again, if you draw like Dave. :thumbs_up
I do and I don't ! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts