Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a few smaller diameter arrows to try out and was looking for ya'lls opinion on Beman MFX versus Easton Axis. Which do you like better and why? Any other smaller diameter arrows you would suggest?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bemans all the way. cause there cheaper. They used to be straighter than the axis arrows too, but I see the new nano axis have the same straightness as the bemans.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in quality, between the MFX and Axis, but the MFX arrows were slightly heavier and the FMJ are a bit heavier yet.

The A/C/C arrows are possibly the best ever and the 3-39 and 3-49 are similar in dia. to the Axis/MFX

Pick any of these that fits your setup best and you can't go wrong IMO.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that the Easton Axis arrows hav a broadhead adapter ring. Do the Beman MFX arrows require the same type thing?

I am shooting Slicks tricks right now. Is this adapter ring required?

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
I shoot Beman MFX shafts (Black Max's). You can use the Broadhead adapter rings or use the chamfering stone that comes with the inserts. I shoot Muzzy broadheads and if you don't chamfer the inside edge of the shaft, you will split it wide open. Muzzy heads are tapered at the top of the shank.
If your heads are square from the threads up the shank, and you have a G5 ASD, no adapter ring is required. Just make sure your shaft is square at the end.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Carbon Express Nano shafts are the best small diameter shafts built today. If you can't/don't want to afford them, check out Carbon Tech. They are also excellent.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I noticed that the Easton Axis arrows hav a broadhead adapter ring. Do the Beman MFX arrows require the same type thing?

I am shooting Slicks tricks right now. Is this adapter ring required?
The BAR is not a must for all BHs, but I recommend it and they are also used on MFX arrows as well as some A/C/C arrows. They give a little added protection.

Jerry NJ goes an extra step and epoxies a 1/2" section of an aluminium shaft over the end of the axis/mfx arrows. I think it's a 2117 shaft that fits and it does make theses arrows indestructable. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've been tremendously happy with my Axis 340s, and I've never used the BAR with my Slick Tricks. The only time I ever noticed anything was on a passthrough that drilled into a Maple root. Once I got my arrow unscrewed from the bh, I noticed some small cracks at the very tip, but that was the only time I have ever had anything like that happen.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't noticed a difference in quality, between the MFX and Axis, but the MFX arrows were slightly heavier and the FMJ are a bit heavier yet.

The A/C/C arrows are possibly the best ever and the 3-39 and 3-49 are similar in dia. to the Axis/MFX

Pick any of these that fits your setup best and you can't go wrong IMO.
So the Easton ACC are a small diameter like the Axis and Beman MFX? I did not know that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
For durability I would go with an all carbon shaft.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For durability I would go with an all carbon shaft.
So I take it from this post and your other one that you would try out the Beman MFX shafts.

Or are you including the Easton Axis shafts in your comment quoted above?

Are you saying that you would sway away from the Easton FMJ shafts? Is this due to aluminum possibly bending?

·
Registered
862 Posts
exactly. You shouldn't limit yourself to just the MFX and axis though. Shop around and find the arrow you like. I personally have shot the MFX arrows for about 4 years and love them. They are built like tanks, darn near indestructible.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Check out the Trophy Ridge line of arrows , the Crush are .0008 straightness and hit like a truck ..

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't used beman shafts but have over the yrs used easton axis, axis fmj, and acc's. They are all very good shafts. I currently think the fmj is the best hunting shaft for my needs, and I use the acc for my target shooting.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just got some Beman MFX 400's but haven't shot them yet. I picked those over the axis, because at the same spine, they are a bit heavier(9.6 gpi). They are also cheaper, and from what I understand, Beman and Easton are all part of the same company anyway.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think the ACC pro hunters are smaller diameter. these are what i'll be picking up when i run out of epics.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I suggest Trophy Ridge because they are the toughest, hardest hitting arrow that fly's great.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
I've been tremendously happy with my Axis 340s, and I've never used the BAR with my Slick Tricks. The only time I ever noticed anything was on a passthrough that drilled into a Maple root. Once I got my arrow unscrewed from the bh, I noticed some small cracks at the very tip, but that was the only time I have ever had anything like that happen.
Exactly what I stated in my post. You have to look under your broadhead seat to see if it's rounded where the shaft meets the broadhead. If it is, you can bevel the inside of the shaft with the HIT insert stone that comes with the shafts. Otherwise your broadhead is acting like a wedge and drives itself inside the shaft and cracks the end. Or buy the BAR rings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts