Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure you can never get too much rational knowledge. For the sake of conversation, I would like to hear varying points of view to better my knowledge of archery. Small diameter shafts vs standard, does it make that much difference when hunting medium size game? My feeling is this, as long as the broadhead is wider than the arrow shaft (which they are), the benefits of a smaller shaft diameter is minimum where animal penetration is concerned. I know there is the benefit of less surface area for cross wind, but that is not the topic. Personally I haven't noticed any significant note worthy difference but I would love to hear from you all. God bless!

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
I use them in my compound. Also will not t order them again. Axis sized arrows are the lowest ill go so I can avoid having to use outskirts. Havnt seen a noticeable gain in anything.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have shot both standard and small diameter and notice no difference. I dont buy the small diameter shafts anymore though because i prefer standard gt shafts.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Harder to get good helical with them running longer feathers and I don't believe that they have any advantage when it comes to penetration or anything to make a significant difference. The only thing that comes to mind on how they may be better is the smaller diameter would be better when using the arrow shaft to aim. Smaller "front sight or arrow shaft" results in a more precise aim maybe....

Not enough for me to every buy them again and deal with the lack of components available and pain in fletching.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I will never shoot full size shafts again. The smaller shafts are closer to the bow and I find them much easier to get tuned perfectly. I use short feathers and have no issues putting helical on them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am a fan of Axis arrows. I think they are more durable than standard carbon and since I have started using them I have had pass throughs on just about every animal I have shot. On the ones that didn't get a pass through the arrow didn't break when they ran off. I think I have taken 20 animals with the Axis and can't think of a broken arrow.
Chris.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
"Note worthy difference" is the key. Plus it's something that's just about impossible to measure.

There are other advantages that are NWD - note worthy diff. Probably makes for more accurate gapping. There's a reason they use drafting pencils. Think of aiming with something the diameter of a telephone pole or a string. "...something that's just about impossible to measure".

The stiffness and quicker recovery of carbon makes for better penetration. NWD? How much better penetration do you get from an arrow that flexes less on impact ??? "...something that's just about impossible to measure".

Plus the accuracy from less drift and penetration from the diameter being smaller than the BH. I use thin!!!

Not because of "..."...something that's just about impossible to measure", but because I think it looks cool.

Bowmania

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have always been able to tune my bow better with small shafts. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the arrows being better or worse it just works for me. I do buy into the better penetration though for what it's worth.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I don't think they are any different in real world situations as far as penetration goes. I do think that If you're shooting off the shelf, they allow you to tune a heavier spine a little easier because they sit a little closer to center on the bow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't recall which, but one of them Wensel brothers stated he would never go back to standard size shafts, after using small diameter shafts.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Different diameter changes the tune. So does the weight of the shaft, and the spine, the weight up front, the weight in back, blah blah....

Really, I haven't noticed a difference other than some foam and straw targets have a harder time stopping thinner shafts. Penetration into flesh, which is slippery, don't really know if it makes much difference.

I like an arrow about 9/32" diameter, maybe a little less, because it looks about right, it soothes my mind to think that I'll probably get less wind drag than an 11/32 or 23/64 thick shaft, and it's thick enough to easily fletch helical (I already forgot the technically correct term, darn it), and it allows the use of standard inserts.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I am a fan of Axis arrows. I think they are more durable than standard carbon and since I have started using them I have had pass throughs on just about every animal I have shot. On the ones that didn't get a pass through the arrow didn't break when they ran off. I think I have taken 20 animals with the Axis and can't think of a broken arrow.
Chris.
I had 2 dozen Axis arrows and really liked the way they flew and had no problem fletching them. I shoot a lot of 3-D, around 3 rounds a week year round out doors and shoot 2-5 arrows per target usually so I do have a few misses per round. Well all the Axis arrows are broken and most are at a friends who has a short DL and cut them down(they all broke at the front) no cracks at the nock. I now use GT traditional arrows and find them much tougher, I put at least a half dozen in the ground today and all are fine maybe need to file the point a bit. I use Bulldog collars on the GT's as I did have a couple of rear cracks but the fronts hold up well. If I just shot targets or only hunted I am sure the Axis would be great, well this has been my experience. Cheers Roscoe

·
Registered
740 Posts
I recently had one of my axis arrows pass through a hole in my bales of straw and hit a solid piece of steel I beam at full speed. It completely flattened the field point and blew the nock off the back. No Crack to the shaft at all. Nock snapped back in, replaceD the tip and it is as good as new.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I stopped using gold tips because of the cracking at the nocks. If you foot them it makes them very strong. I am trying some new inserts from firenock. I don't miss too often so they hold up well. I went back to axis after trying ACC arrows I had 3 of those hit something in a 3-D targets and push the tip in.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Collars around the insert help maintain structural integrity through tip-blunting impacts.

Game getter 500 series, 2016's I think, work nicely with 9/32 shafts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts