Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have tried small food plots? Small openings in the woods, tote roads, or any small spot just using hand tools? Mel

·
Vendor
90,517 Posts
iam going to try a 1/2 acre plot this year so any info will be interesting

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've seeded micro plots from 1/4 to 1/2 acre and have actually seen some pretty respectable results from Brassica plantings. Anything larger than this or with different plantings... we use equipment.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I did 5 1/4ac plots this year.

The deer ate them down to nothing in no time.

3-4 does can beat hell out of a 100x50 in about a week.or two.

I won't do it agian.

Feeders put up in SEP are easier and cheaper/

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
this year me and my uncle are.

planting clover in his front feild and around the stand thats right off from it.

were going to open up a arera in the woods and make another down there.

·
Vendor
90,517 Posts

·
Vendor
90,517 Posts
I did 5 1/4ac plots this year.

The deer ate them down to nothing in no time.

3-4 does can beat hell out of a 100x50 in about a week.or two.

I won't do it agian.

Feeders put up in SEP are easier and cheaper/
my brother in law done a plot and he put out irish spring garden soap on a string around it till it got established and he shot a big buck in blackpoweder over it

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have lots of small plots. 4 different properties in two states. I will tell about my best land.
my own property is 12 acres and a ridge. I started by cutting trails and droping trees to funnel the deer to the six spots that where to be planted. the top of the ridge has a large flat spot that's all open. so I started with clover on the top and as the trails go into the woods I used brasica and sugar beets. finally ending up into a side hill plot that's a natural funnel. I also put in a water hole .
my hunting strategy for my land is simple. I use cameras from august to september to see what I have on my land. early season the deer do not go after the brasica very much at all so I stick to the clover and the water hole. after the first frost I will be in that brasica. I know my plots work because I have had 4 different shooters here this year and I stupidly missed one in the early season. now I am after a nice 10 point that is showing up , I just need the right wind to go in there. my cousin came out last year and killed a 152 ten point that I had seen all summer.

if you do it right they do work. but it has been a few years of a growing progression for me. every year I get more deer on my land and bigger bucks. give them everything they need and they will stay .
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
974 Posts
run 55 gallon drummed feeders instead imo. that is if you have the time to refill it during the year.

·
Vendor
90,517 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts