Archery Talk Forum banner

small Oregon Elk Hunting Video

1721 Views 25 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ELKhuntR
It's not much but still, it's music to my ears. the fact I ended the season with a tag in my pocket still hurts but overall, I learned a lot about my area and cannot wait until this year. sorry for the shakiness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaw7TMcxyA
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
every year I learn something huge and this past year it was:

I don't think I'll ever set up behind a pine tree or tree again. And, when they get close and see no animals, watch out, unless you have a caller behind you, and you're that close, it seems dang tough to bring them in. The big guys anyways. I've been chasing the second bull now for 4 years. He's huge!!!!! I had more video of him one morning but ended up deleting it in a frenzy trying to shut my camera off.

· Registered
973 Posts
great area. Never have hunted down there. you've got some monster blackies down there! I know that
Lot of Blackies, some elk and a lot of turkey.

Maybe in a few years when I have more time we could do some trade, I'll take you blacktail hunting in one of our stands and you take us elk hunting in the Strawberries or Elkhorns maybe even the Wallowas:wink: jk with ya.

· Registered
973 Posts
Is Bend all open country or are there any trees and forested area??? I can whack all the cow elk I want down here. I just want a bull with my bow :wink: I'm going to PM you so it saves your name, we'll keep in touch.... There are a lot of elk in private lands down here... I have like 4 people that will give me cow permits for damage... I think you can only get one legally a year... But heck thats all I need. One elk, one deer, 2 turkey usually a bear and I go to wyoming and shoot 2 doe antelope= like 400 lbs of meat or more! :wink: expect a Pm and good luck this season!

· Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tons of trees around bend, Ponderosas, Jackpine, Spruce, manzanita, etc. it's the High Cascades

but you also get into logging areas that were selectively cut and it does get open. You also find them in the nastiest, blow down, chunk of timber you can find. Find meadows, water, and your well on your way. Problem is there, there's water every where. Elk can run miles, huge circles and not come back to that area for a week or so, but get on a good pattern and you'll find em. It's almost chasin more than hunting but I love it!! I also hunt a bit of private ground but tend to stick mostly to the outskirts on public.

Is Bend all open country or are there any trees and forested area??? I can whack all the cow elk I want down here. I just want a bull with my bow :wink: I'm going to PM you so it saves your name, we'll keep in touch.... There are a lot of elk in private lands down here... I have like 4 people that will give me cow permits for damage... I think you can only get one legally a year... But heck thats all I need. One elk, one deer, 2 turkey usually a bear and I go to wyoming and shoot 2 doe antelope= like 400 lbs of meat or more! :wink: expect a Pm and good luck this season!

· Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tons of trees around bend, Ponderosas, Jackpine, Spruce, manzanita, etc. it's the High Cascades

but you also get into logging areas that were selectively cut and it does get open. You also find them in the nastiest, blow down, chunk of timber you can find. Find meadows, water, and your well on your way. Problem is there, there's water every where. Elk can run miles, huge circles and not come back to that area for a week or so, but get on a good pattern and you'll find em. It's almost chasin more than hunting but I love it!! I also hunt a bit of private ground but tend to stick mostly to the outskirts on public.

· Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear ya.

I also see more elk every year than I do deer. But I also spend the majority of my time hunting them. Deer hunting is nothing like it was in the late 80s and early 90s. Times have changed. Used to drive around the logging roads as a kid and see tons of deer. YOu could spot and stalk for days up in the mountains, chase deer around all day long. It's harder now for sure. My buddies and I are using our climbers mostly for deer.

I sure hope the deer situation is better in OR this year. Regardless I cant wait to hit the elk mountains. I think I saw more elk down here in So_OR than I saw deer.

· Registered
551 Posts
Nope, that's even too far east.

but, I have hunted the Ochocos before it was a draw. Some nice bulls out there! and less people

I drew Ochoco last year and ended up killing my bull in the Grizzly unit. There just where you find them. Due to work I spent the second and fourth weeks of last season hunting out of Oakridge, just never got close enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.