Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting all summer with a 1/8 peep at my targets. Great for accuracy, but i found out the hard way it didn't work in poor light for hunting. I had two different bulls, one early am,one late evening at about 45 yards, but couldn't see clearly enough to execute the shot.BUMMER! Changing to a bigger peep before hunting again. What size does everyone use for hunting, and do you change your peep for target vs. hunting?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Get a peep large enough to get your whole pin guard in it. Once you get used to it, it is as accurate as a small peep and gives you a lot clearer view. I use a 1/4" for target as well as hunting.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I use an Anchor Sight and shoot with both eyes open for hunting and target. It's nice to see the hole picture

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
3/16- 1/4 seems to be most popular for hunting. And I agree with the second poster, big enough to get the outside of the pingaurd in. Mabey plus some.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm sorry you didn't get your elk but good for you for holding off and not risking a bad shot.

I use an Anchor Sight and shoot with both eyes open for hunting and target. It's nice to see the hole picture
+1 except I use the No-Peep. I don't think it's quite as precise as a peep, if I was shooting strictly target i would go with a peep. If I remember right I was using a 3/16 peep before I switched.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
1/4" for everything and no issues. Both eyes open

·
Back Yard Champion
29,688 Posts
For hunting I use a 1/8" and don't have a problem. No one has the same eyes. To me, at 60 years of age, my 1/8" peep looks the size of 5 gallon bucket in the early morning and evening. Have you thought, in your case, how bright the pin was probably had more bearing?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the pin brightness was the problem, i just couldn't seem be able to find the kill zone looking through the peep, but could see the animal good enough while not looking through the peep?? I got one two years ago right before dark, probably darker and dont remember having a problem. It was my first year archery hunting and i know the pro shop had set me up with a larger peep, don't know what size though.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
1/4" Meta Peep works perfect for my Spot-Hogg pinguard.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I use 1/8 and get asked all the time how do I see at low light? I just bagged my first elk late in the evening in NM. I guess it works for me because of more than one consistant anchor.

·
Livin' in a van....
8,476 Posts
i think mine is 1/4" too. 5/16" is BIG. If you really want to be able to see, get one of those "string splitters"

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I use a small peep but then drill it out until the peep is just open enough to allow me to see the entire front sight ring. The size of the opening depends on the distance relationship between your eye, the peep and the front sight so each set-up is different.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use a small peep but then drill it out until the peep is just open enough to allow me to see the entire front sight ring. The size of the opening depends on the distance relationship between your eye, the peep and the front sight so each set-up is different.
x2 I can see my sight ring perfectly with 3/16.

·
Registered
544 Posts
get a peep large enough to get your whole pin guard in it. Once you get used to it, it is as accurate as a small peep and gives you a lot clearer view. I use a 1/4" for target as well as hunting.
+ 1:)

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I don't know about everybody else, but I spend the entire off-season eliminating anything and everything that can or does give me even the slightest doubt of confidence or performance. A 1/8" peep would give me doubts. A light arrow gives me doubts. The outserts on my TR Crush arrows broke numerous times with just practice, so I started to change them all over to HIT inserts......because I had doubts as to their durability while hunting.

There are lots of things that can go wrong, but eliminating as many as we can narrows the field of possibilities.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Best solution is to go to a super ball peep kit and try different inserts in it in different light conditions. You will find one that is optimal to fit your needs. If you want to shoot a smaller one for target, then you can easily switch them out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts