Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Helical

Votes: 34 50.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what is the most popular method of fletching small (Blazer, Vanetec, etc.) vanes, straight, offset, or helical.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I go with Helical. With the fall away rests used these days, fletching clearance is not a problem...so I try to get as much spin as possible.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go with Helical. With the fall away rests used these days, fletching clearance is not a problem...so I try to get as much spin as possible.
So here's another question for you, what degree helical do you use? I've seen some arrow builders say they offer "right helical" and "3 deg helical."

Is there a difference? Why would they list both as options?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Which fletching, straight, offset, or helical, works best.

I have been using the Flex Fletch Flash vanes this year and have been extremely happy with the performance of these vanes. For vanes longer than 2" I had been using a Bitzenburger jig in a right offset. But I tried all the short vanes, and from my testing I liked the Flash vanes better than anything using a plastic Bohning Helix jig for 2" or smaller vanes. Lancaster archery had them on sale for $35, so I thought I would try one. That jig doesn't compare to a bitzenburger, but it works fine, and is set up for a 3 degree right helical fletching out of the box and I was really impressed with my arrow grooping including broadheads. I am getting a right helical clamp for my bitzenburger and see if I can duplicate my performance using the Bitzenburger. With some of the 2" vanes the manufacturer, like NAP, recommends a right offset. So you have to test them for yourself, to really know what works best for your set-up.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Always a helical for broadheads it has been proven time after time projectiles need to rotate to give the best accuracy. Thats why they don't make most rifles with out rifles. Arrow in no differant no matter what fletching you use.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Offset

With a helicol I found it hard to get good vane contact, so I use the offset now:smile:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use right helical with the max offset I can get with my Bitz.:darkbeer:

I use flex-fletch 187s & gorila glue super glue & they stick great. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
293 Posts
L or R offset ????

What is the way to tell you have a right or left offset on an arrow? Looking down on a bitz is the bottom cocked to the left and the top to the right Or is it the other way around? Thanks for any advice in advance:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
This way or that, it will not have a big difference with the shorter vane. But I put as much as I can, that is why I use the helical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts