Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two grandsons, ages 6 and 8 who show enough interest in archery that I would like to find better outfits for them. Can anyone make a suggestion?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gee, I'm the last person on this board to have any expertise...

But, since I've just been through about a week of looking and seeking advice, I'll pass a bit on to you.

You need to know their "draw" lenth, which is measured by the measurement from middle of throat to tips of fingers when the hands are held straight out in front, palms together. An expert here can explain and expound on that better.

For dealing with small kids, I found the Fred Bear family bow, which has a draw from 14 to 28 inches, and a rated draw weight of 13 to 20 lbs.

That might STILL be too large, depending on the size of the kids...

Anyway, I ordered one that will be here next week, and I"ll let you know what I think of it when it gets here...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only one way to go with the young ones.

Genesis bows. Don't need to worry about draw length, there is no let off and they will not grow out of the bow, ever.
We have two for our girls, great for beginners.:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Look at the Genesis Bow.

It's a compound bow that has a very light draw weight, and no draw length. What this means is that your grandsons can continue to use it as they grow without having to change the draw length frequently. They can even share the same bow. Actually anyone from that age to adults can use it. I just ordered one for 2 of my children to share and one for my wife to start out on.

You can look at it here:
http://www.genesisbow.com/

-Walkman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Walkman... when my Fred Bear gets here, and your Genesis get there, lets compare notes.

The Fred bear has the same idea - little or no let-off, very long draw length range, single cam, etc.

The Fred Bear Family Bow is about half the price, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I third the Genesis bows. We have quite a few that we use in our youth league and they are great for absolute beginners.

Having said that, I'd add that it depends on your long term objective and funds. If the kids stick with it and want to hunt, compete, whatever, they'll want to go for higher performance bows, that is, faster or with letoff or more targetish or something. The good news is that if you do go for something else, they haven't changed for a couple years and someone is always starting a kid out.

-Scot

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
i agree with the martin tiger

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally like the PSE Spyder. My 6 year old has been shooting very well with his. There is plenty of room for draw length adjustments. I believe his goes from 14-21, not 100% sure on that though. I agree with the Genesis bows too other than that I have found that it is hard for a youngster to shoot with a consistant anchor point. This makes it difficult for them to shoot with a sight and get consistant groups. If they are just learning though and not trying to fine tune their skills I would definately get the Genesis.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
The BowTech Rascals are a great kids bow. I'd think the 8 yr old should be able to handle one with no problem. Depending on how big the 6 yr old is, it may be a little much. Though they can be turned down to about 12 or 13 lb. Draw length ranges from 19-25". Weights are 20, 30, 40 lb. You can have the limbs & strings changed as the kids grow for a nominal fee. My 7 yr old shoots one & loves it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Browning Micro Midas 3. There's 10" of draw length adjustment on them. I'm getting one for my 9 yr. old daughter for Christmas. She's outgrowing her Brave bow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought my grandson a PSE Spyder also. He has been shooting it two years now. He is almost big enough to draw 40#, think he is up to 33# now. I liked it because of the draw length adjust. and weight adjust. I hope he gets his first deer with it I got it when he was 7 yrs old. He does pretty good with it at 3-D shoots. Looking forward to when he takes me hunting....lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Genesis

We borrowed about 13 Genesis bows from another club for our youth league. Our students ranged in age from 5-16 years. We had 4 one hour shifts and on each shift, the Genesis bows were the first to be picked.
What was interesting was that some parents wanted to learn to shoot and we started them out with the Genesis bows. Great flexibility.
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased my 10 yr old son a bow. Browning Micro Midas 3. The important thing you need to make sure of is draw length and draw weight. We went with the Browning bow over the Martin Tiger because the Browing has more draw length adjustment than the Martin.

The best bow for the children will really depend on their draw length, draw weight, and how soon you want to have to upgrade. Matthew Genisis bow is a great bow but younger shooters out grow them rather quickly and want more bow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts