Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for small shop guys: I’m a consumer. As in I CONSUME MUCH! I don’t price compare or look in several places for what I want. I just buy stuff. So paying a little more to get friendly fast service is perfect for me. I was told to check out a place that is a half an hour (30 miles away) away from my home. I do have and I do buy from other places closer to my home. So Sat I call them up and ask if they have a serving tool. Quick answer, YES we do. You have serving, the Black monofilament type? YES! What time are you open until? 4. I’m there. Jump on my bike and take a nice ride. I get there and there are 4 people behind the counter. I’m the only customer. I say hello and ask where I could find a serving tool. The guy looks puzzled. He says wait until ??? gets off the phone. I don’t know if we have any. I state I just called and was told you did, Finally the guy gets off the phone and says “NO” we don’t have any. I then tell him I just called and was told you did. A long with the Black Monofilament serving I asked for. Nope we don’t have any of that either. This is my only tool and it’s what I work with. So I ask who answers the phone. They all look at each other. So you have no serving tools or serving? I then get an answer that makes me wants to reach out and touch someone, very hard. I assume the owner since everything seems to go back on him. He says, “There is a hunting season coming you know” . :eek: :eek: :eek: :angry: :angry:

NO F’en CRAP you smuck. I bit my tongue. Shook my head and walked. This is a guy who’s in business to make money from ME. Telling ME there’s a hunting season coming up. Then why the hell isn’t this clown prepared??? Why would he not have the supplies he KNOWS he gong to need to satisfy his customers?

I’m sure this clown will be the first to complain when a big chain store comes in and pushes him out.

Sorry for the rant. Dumb people make me crazy.

By the way, I had 500 bucks in my pocket that was burning a hole. Picked out 4 or 5 things off the wall that I was going to grab while I was waiting for him before I was pissed off. Very costly mistake to give me (a cash customer) a wiseass answer. And I won’t be back.

Seems to me when I was running my businesses (4 successful in the past and will have a few in the future) that the customer was treated with respect and was ALWAYS RIGHT!

So my question is: Do you stock up and prepare for the up coming seasons? Do you make sure you will have supplies in the shop when people want them?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
We have a guy kinda like that near where I live. He owns a shop about 8 miles from my house, but I will gladly go to the other one 25-30 miles away to the other guy's shop because he is so much more customer friendly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When he said " You know hunting season is coming up " You should have said to him " Here's your sign " I also hate dumb people and their stupid answers.

Quick story for ya.
I was hunting deer in Alabama and I got lost. Very lost! I finally stumbled into a road and started walking it. A guy pulls up to me and says you lost? I said yeah and he asks if I want a ride. The guy had a xmas tree in the back of his truck so I figured he's ok. I told him I don't remember the name of the road we parked on but I was pretty sure it started with a "Z"... So we drive around looking for it, for about a half an hour and I say there it is! The guy looks right at me and says "Holy Shat! thats the road I live on!" I laugh to myself thinking probably a lot of roads down here that start with a Z huh... But I thanked the guy and finally met up with the guys I was hunting with.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a small, but growing very fast shop. There are some things like serving that I have for shop use but not for sell. I do not understand why this guy would tell you he had it in stock when he did not.

To answer your question, yes I do stock up on things that I use like vanes, serving, string material, arrows, the list goes on & on. Every now & then I will run out of something but it is usauly due to it getting back ordered from at least 2 different suppliers.

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Harley,

I feel your pain. I have 2 shops near me (20-25 minutes away each), but they often do not have what I need, so the trip ends up being a waste of time and gasoline. More often than not I shop at www.eders.com. They give 3% off if you pay attention and enter the "save at eders" code in the right place. Shipments usually arrive in 3-4 business days. And I get what I want - at a good price. Shipping is reasonable and no tax. I just bought serving and a jig from them in my last order!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry others have to deal with incompetents also. If the guy would have just said, “Sorry, it was the dumb kid” or something I would not have any issues. He would have made a cash cow customer. Or sorry for that, bring in the string and I’ll serve it up for you. Then I would have explained I really just want one for the future. I have a few strings being made for a couple of my bows. I think I might have left my serving tool at my archery club so I figured I’d just buy another one. And then purchased a bunch of other stuff I really didn't need. But instead I made a few people on EBay happy and added to the profits of Keystone and Lancaster.

Now I just need to find a place to put all the crap I'm buying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts