Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some say smoking up you and your clothes with some hardwood smoke will help cover your scent cause smokes a natural scent and carbon elements in smoke will absorb your scent. It does make a lot of sense but the thought also pops in my head smoke to an animal means fire aka danger so I'm up in air about trying it this year. So wanting to hear results from others who have tried it. Thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
Smoke is a completely natural scent in the wild. From house chimneys to controlled burns etc... They smell it all the time. Smoke is also a great bacteria killer and destroys human odor. I smoke my clothes all season long.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Smoke is a completely natural scent in the wild. From house chimneys to controlled burns etc... They smell it all the time. Smoke is also a great bacteria killer and destroys human odor. I smoke my clothes all season long.
Totally agree but use wood indigenous to your area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Some say smoking up you and your clothes with some hardwood smoke will help cover your scent cause smokes a natural scent and carbon elements in smoke will absorb your scent. It does make a lot of sense but the thought also pops in my head smoke to an animal means fire aka danger so I'm up in air about trying it this year. So wanting to hear results from others who have tried it. Thanks
What animal told you they think danger when they smell smoke?

·
Registered
37,117 Posts
I can't see it hurting to do it but at the same time I personally don't think its any better than being as scent free as possible. Plus I dont want all my clothes and gear stinking like that. As with any cover scent your not fooling a deers nose IMO .

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Smoke can kill some scent.
The scent it doesn't kill smell like that scent and smoke to a deer.
Nothing hides/covers a scent from a deer

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking I'm going to try it start off with just my camo pants and shirt during early season that way if it has negative effect at least my insulated gear will be good to go later in season

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm still trying to convince myself to try it this year
I did it to my early season stuff.

Had 3 deer come downwind right up under my stand last time out. I stopped them right under my tree. None of them were alerted.

I also was not incredibly careful about scent.

Made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any ideas on how to smoke clothes. I have a traeger grill that burns pellets just can't think of how to do it.
I'm going to put my blind up with my smoker in it and hang my stuff in there and smoke them that way. Some just build camp fire and stand in the smoke some purchase a smoker like you use for honey bees and run it up and down thier clothes

·
Registered
845 Posts
Any ideas on how to smoke clothes. I have a traeger grill that burns pellets just can't think of how to do it.
I bought one of those cheap portable closets from Wal-Mart to hang my clothes in while smoking. With this I can set it out I'm my driveway away from the house. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Home-Portable-Closet-White/26973635

For the smoker I used a large can (think big coffee can type) and drilled holes in the bottom for air. I drilled four holes around the edge of the bottom and put four stainless screws in the bottom for feet to get it off the ground for air flow. The can I used had a metal lid so I drilled several holes in it for smoke to flow up.

I light the wood, and pine needles on fire and then put the lid on top to extinguish the fire and let it smoke. Set it inside the closet and zip it up.

I hang my clothes, treestand seat, boots, and back pack to get smoked.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
From what I've read it needs to be hardwood smoke. I know of a guy that tested scent clothing and said he never had any luck but he thought the smoke had promise. I can't say either way because I haven't tried but I would think it may work to some degree. It doesn't hide the scent but it kills it. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was able to shoot a big bull elk two years ago the after smoking my close over the campfire the night before. The funny thing is after the shot he ran towards me. Usually they seem to run away. I think I'm going to experiment some more with it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here is your homework? try it for a week and lets us know what you think?

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
After 4 years of thinking about it> This Hood is smoking this year

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
turn the dampener down on the 50 gallon wood burner in the garage and smoke the place out,,,That's how I'm doing it> think I'll smoke a smoke while I get smoked too:shade:

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Downwind is downwind.
Animals can only develop a fear response to things they or other deer have a negative experience with , they do not reason very well.
Cover scents can work.....but not reliably (see downwind comment).
When I was younger, I hunted with a man who shot a few deer while sitting at a small fire he built in the woods.....I also hunted with guys who smoked cigarettes all the time and killed deer pretty regularly.......????????
I am with the hood on this one.....lol.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts