Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the smell of smoke from a campfire spook deer and elk?

Does it cover up human scent some?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Elkarcher,

I recently read an article in Bowhunt America about the topic. According to the author, native americans use to actually build small fires to attract deer and elk to ground blinds. They claim that the curiosity of these animals will draw them towards the fire from the smoke scent. Once they find the fire the will walk around it kind of mezmerized like a moth to a light. The article also stated that certain kinds of wood like white pine actually provide scent when burned that attracts animals. The smoke was also used to mask human scent. The moose seemed to be less reluctant to come close to the fire. However, it was said deer would come very close.

This is what I read, I have no experience with the method.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SpotShy said:
Elkarcher,

I recently read an article in Bowhunt America about the topic. According to the author, native americans use to actually build small fires to attract deer and elk to ground blinds. They claim that the curiosity of these animals will draw them towards the fire from the smoke scent. Once they find the fire the will walk around it kind of mezmerized like a moth to a light. The article also stated that certain kinds of wood like white pine actually provide scent when burned that attracts animals. The smoke was also used to mask human scent. The moose seemed to be less reluctant to come close to the fire. However, it was said deer would come very close.

This is what I read, I have no experience with the method.
I have heard this too, just wondered if any one knew for sure.

·
Registered
768 Posts
JF,

:D Spotlighting! Doesn't sound like a bad way to hunt. Set in a ground blind, roast some dogs, some marshmellows and wait for the deer to find you. The marshmellows might make good attractant. Once the deer was taken all you'd need to do is skewre him and flop him on the fire, waaala, dinner is served! :beer:

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpotShy said:
JF,

:D Spotlighting! Doesn't sound like a bad way to hunt. Set in a ground blind, roast some dogs, some marshmellows and wait for the deer to find you. The marshmellows might make good attractant. Once the deer was taken all you'd need to do is skewre him and flop him on the fire, waaala, dinner is served! :beer:
Better have a bear tag too!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Bear tag? :eek: I don't play with critters that can eat me ElkArcher. :mg: :D You keep the bears up yonder in the North West. Here in Kentucky we have a few black bear in the south east but where I'm from we don't have any critters that hunt us. Kind of like it that way myself. I don't see how some of you guys that live in bear country do it. I'd never get to my stand before daylight and during bow season I'd still be packing a BIG GUN. Call me a wuss but I ain't playing with no bear

·
Registered
780 Posts
here in idaho they log and burn alot so the critters are used to it and it dosen't bother them at all, and it does cover human scent. but if i lived in a place where there is never any burning then i would not get smoke on my hunting clothes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts