Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brinkman smoker and like it, its just hard to hang sausage in with it being round. I am looking for some ideas for a metal cabinet or something that would not take up alot of room (like an old fridge) when not in use. I have seen a four drawer file cabinet on you tube that was a good idea, any others?

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
I picked up a commercial food warmer and converted it into a smoker, I can hang all for legs of a deer in it at once if I want to. It works out really well for me.

·
Banned
8,373 Posts
I have a brinkman smoker and like it, its just hard to hang sausage in with it being round. I am looking for some ideas for a metal cabinet or something that would not take up alot of room (like an old fridge) when not in use. I have seen a four drawer file cabinet on you tube that was a good idea, any others?
I would suggest an old fridge...temp consistancy is crucial to a good smoke. Anyone can take an old metal (insert cabinet type here) and insert smoke and it will suffice though you will spend most of your time babysitting.

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
I would suggest an old fridge...temp consistancy is crucial to a good smoke. Anyone can take an old metal (insert cabinet type here) and insert smoke and it will suffice though you will spend most of your time babysitting.
Good idea Joel. I once used an old upright freezer to build a quail egg incubator. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a fridge would work great, but I don't have a whole lot of room to keep it. I smoke sausage 4 or 5 times a year, the rest of the time it would be in the way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Use an old College size fridge. It doesn't take up a lot of space and give you the temp consistancey that you will need.

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,993 Posts
use the old fridge just throw a tarp on it my stays outside its years old no problem with weather getting it

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a local guy that sells Metal drums for $10. If you only live in Northeast Ohio (Stark Co. )

·
Registered
489 Posts
used to use a metal drum for a cold-smoker. worked fine.

i always wanted to try this though; you know those cheap aluminium garden sheds? if i could get one of those, and an old pot belly stove, and a whole lot of pipe, i wanna run the pipe off the ;potbelly like a chimney, and then plunge it into a trench in the ground. then i would have it coming up in a staright vertical line in the centre of the shed to about one foot lower than the height of the shed ceiling. i'd then drill a bunch of small holes about an inch off the ground around the base of the shed, and seal the door up real good. the smoke would have to condense itself against the ceiling, and pack down before it cuold escape through the small holes at the bottom. ought to make for economic cold-smoking lol.

·
Registered
855 Posts
UDS works great, you can build them as a double stack front open as well.
If you can find a supplier they make a snap ring can that will fit a 55 gallon drum inside it with some room around it. Build some short legs on the 55 at the bottom. Cut out a hole for a vent tube to go into it from the bottom then attach a 15 gallon drum as a fire box and use the inlet as a feed (hard to explain but simple idea) then attach an outlet and a pair of baffles at the bottom of the 55 where the heat and smoke come in. Use Weber style grates as needed and a thermometer to monitor temps. Between the liner and the 55 gallon drum fill it with sand as an insulator (cheap if not free and very effective).

Remember to control all your temperature at the firebox and not at the outlet, a lot of people make this mistake and it drives a person mad trying to get it right that way.

A good place to look at designs and builds is www.thesmokering.com Lots of good info over there.

·
Venison Junkie
1,274 Posts
I have a friend that uses an old pickup truck tool box. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Caught a little clip on the food network where Alton Brown was using somekind of mil-surp box as a smoker didn't see enough to find out what the box was originally from. I know he has made a smoker out of big terra cotta flower pots in the past too. How hot does a smoker get? Could you just make a box out of plywood and insulate it?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Caught a little clip on the food network where Alton Brown was using somekind of mil-surp box as a smoker didn't see enough to find out what the box was originally from. I know he has made a smoker out of big terra cotta flower pots in the past too. How hot does a smoker get? Could you just make a box out of plywood and insulate it?
Depends on if you are cold smoking or hot smoking.

Cold smoking generally is in about the 160-180 range.
Hot smoking maxes out at about 250 usually 225 is perfect though.

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,993 Posts
used to use a metal drum for a cold-smoker. worked fine.

i always wanted to try this though; you know those cheap aluminium garden sheds? if i could get one of those, and an old pot belly stove, and a whole lot of pipe, i wanna run the pipe off the ;potbelly like a chimney, and then plunge it into a trench in the ground. then i would have it coming up in a staright vertical line in the centre of the shed to about one foot lower than the height of the shed ceiling. i'd then drill a bunch of small holes about an inch off the ground around the base of the shed, and seal the door up real good. the smoke would have to condense itself against the ceiling, and pack down before it cuold escape through the small holes at the bottom. ought to make for economic cold-smoking lol.
did it for a hot smoker once to hard to control temp but to cold smoke prob would be fine

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what are the trunks of heating and air supplys made of? I see the tin knockers putting together these trunks and hanging them in the ceilings of buildings. I could turn them on end put on a top and bottom and make a door in the side. If they are galvanized I don't know if they should be used. How about this?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts