Archery Talk Forum banner

Smoking Experts

822 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Allaround
Anybody have any thoughts about this smoker?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20120&hasJS=true

It seems to get good reviews.

Any tips on smoking BBQ?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,205 Posts
smoker

well, out of my budget but whats not to like! :)

Seems to be pretty nice- only has one review "5/5". Pretty much all stainless so it should last quite some time (as long as the controls continue to work- but buying it from Cabelas is a plus)

Mine is an old fridge from the 1960's!

· Registered
107 Posts
In Texas, where smoking meat is a time honored tradition, we prefer to use indirect heat with a fire box on the side. Those of us that have welders usually make our own.
As far as tips for smoking, if you ask 100 people you'll get 200 opinions.
Now here's mine. I get a lot of compliments on my BBQ so it must work.
Marinade meat overnight, if possible. Use beer, worchestire, minced garlic and some of the rub for the marinade.
Put rub on and smoke for two hours at approximately 180-200 degrees. (While the meat is smoking I like to slice an onion in half and put it on the fire.)
Remove from heat and place in throw away metal roasting pan with about a cup of the marinade. Cover with heavy duty foil and put back on the smoker.
Smoke for as long as it takes to cook the meat and tenderise it.
Any meat the size of a beef brisket 8 hrs. total time.
Ribs about 4 hrs.
Adjust the cooking time according to the size of the meat.
For any game meat you must put plenty of fat on it to keep it from drying out. I like bacon.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Exactly right

In Texas, where smoking meat is a time honored tradition, we prefer to use indirect heat with a fire box on the side. Those of us that have welders usually make our own.
As far as tips for smoking, if you ask 100 people you'll get 200 opinions.
Now here's mine. I get a lot of compliments on my BBQ so it must work.
Marinade meat overnight, if possible. Use beer, worchestire, minced garlic and some of the rub for the marinade.
Put rub on and smoke for two hours at approximately 180-200 degrees. (While the meat is smoking I like to slice an onion in half and put it on the fire.)
Remove from heat and place in throw away metal roasting pan with about a cup of the marinade. Cover with heavy duty foil and put back on the smoker.
Smoke for as long as it takes to cook the meat and tenderise it.
Any meat the size of a beef brisket 8 hrs. total time.
Ribs about 4 hrs.
Adjust the cooking time according to the size of the meat.
For any game meat you must put plenty of fat on it to keep it from drying out. I like bacon.
Only when covered to tenderize, I like to use a can of beer in the pan, or all but a couple of swallows :darkbeer:

PS, here is the one we built at work for company functions. :wink:

Attachments

· Registered
107 Posts
Always heard you Jayhawkers could BBQ. Don't forget, the cup of marinade that I put in the pan is beer based. But putting a fresh one in ain't a bad idea. I also like to use a dark beer for my marinade. Just seems to add a little something to it.
By the way dang fine smoker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.