Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back that I bought some new Rocky snake boots with the zip side. Got a lot of mixed reviews of them, and I decided to give them a shot in the woods. I put them to the test this past fall and after a few weeks of hard hunting I had to stop wearing them...soles were falling apart, chunks missing and wet.

Now I am looking to replace them with something new before turkey season. Has anyone had any luck with Danner snake boots? Are they worth the extra money?

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,098 Posts
I use these, far superior to snake boots IMHO: www.snakeguards.com

BTW, I was bitten by a diamondback as a kid so I am phobic. Out west we occasionally walk up on dens:

snakes.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
My RedHeads held up pretty well for two seasons so far, but they are not waterproof, if it's a TRULY waterproof snake boot you want then the Muck Woody Armor is the one. A bit warm for my summer hunts but I'd rather sweat then have wet feet. So far one season & going fine. Very comfortable too for a rubber boot. Got a good deal on ebay.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am partial to Irish Setter. Best pair of boots I have ever had... I haven't tried the snake boots but they might be worth a look.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
your only true waterproof snake boot that will be waterproof throughout the life of the boot are rubber snake boots. all leather and canvass snake boots that claim water proof will eventually leak, most within their first season. the only way a rubber snake boot will leak is if they are puncured or eventually crack from age. i am just replacing my Cabela's rubber snake boots after about 5 years of use due to a crack developed from age. i don't know about you but snake protection AND dry feet are a must for me and i can spare the $80 for new boots every 5 years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have 2 pair of the Irish setters and love them, side zippers, great boots IMO

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought my all rubber snake boots from the Sportsmans Guide probably 5 years ago. I think I paid anywhere from $60-$80 for them. They feel fine on the feet and not cracked, peeled or anything. Never been struck by a snake, but where I hunt, the possibility is always there.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I use the lace up Rocky's snake boots and have had zero problems with them , wear them all season ..

·
Registered
22,563 Posts
If I walked up on a snake nest like that, I would run for about a mile.............then call in for an airstrike from the nearest airforce base. Yikes.......:mg:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been using Lacrosse Burleys for several years to hunt spring birds, bears and deer and no leaks yet. The soles are starting to show wear but I use them alot as you can tell. I already have a brand new second pair waiting. I had Redhead snake boots that were comfortable but they leaked after one spring season. I have not had the greatest of experiences with gore-tex type boots, they just start to leak after a season of hunting.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had rocky's fall apart on me before as well. Just like you described, soles crumble after two weeks wear, also leaked immedately. Got a pair of danner pronghorn and they were completely waterproof for three years. They had alot of rough miles on them, spring and fall. Still wear them, very light and comfortable but do leak some now. Maybe with better care would have lasted longer. They were used heavily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pair of Cabelas that i love. Lace up and a bitcc to get on but very comfortable and dry. Hell I even took them as my ONLY pair of boots on a caribou hunt in '08 and walked MILES every day, in and out of water. Always stayed dry. This past summer our property here in FL was soaked from rain, I mean 6-12" of water everywhere. Wore them scouting numerous times, still dry as a bone scouting in that kind of water for 3-4 hours non stop. Never had a snake bit but I know they will do the job! I would buy again in a heart beat!!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
All the Rocky snake boots I've had leaked like a screen door. The last pair(replaced for leaking) leaked right out of the box...

·
Registered
934 Posts
My rochy lace up snakes have been great for 3 seasons now...The first time I wore them I got wet, covered them with a water proofer once a year and I do not get wet....

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I had some Lacrosse Venom snake boots. First morning I used them there was heavy dew on the wheat. My feet were drenched from the walk in, and on a cool morning I was freezing.They tried to tell me it was sweat from my feet. Then when I called BS they made me pay $17 to ship them back. I was pissed since I was having to pay extra to get a product that worked from them. Will never own another pair of Lacrosse footwear after that ****ty customer service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the insight guys. Doing a little research. I know the only way to be completely waterproof is rubber boots. And if I saw a pile of snakes like that picture above, I would be hauling *****.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I have a pair of the Redhead side zip boots that I've had for about 6 years now. I have no idea how many miles I have on them, but it's a lot. They're waterproof for a while, but they eventually leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX snakes boots last year and I love them. Most expensive boots I have ever had but extremely comfortable and had them in the creek multiple times with no water leakage issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts