Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought the new snort wheeze calls were a bunch of crap. Before God, tonight I saw a little 6 pt. lower his head to the ground behind a little spike and do the wheeze. The little spike took off and left the scene. I couldnt belive it! Has anyone else heard this from a deer? (In Person)

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
What many do not understand about that call is that it is actually a intimidation call used by bucks IMO. A bigger deer will do it do intimidate a smaller subordinate buck. However a mature dominant buck will respond to it if conditions are right. Perfect set up to use that call would be for you to be inside a mature dominant bucks core area near the rut. He does not like other bucks inside his core area & will usually give a positive response unless there is a bigger buck around that has been kicking his butt. A guy by the name of Peterson (I think Jerry) once did a lot of research & study on deer vocalizations. Find anything you can on what he wrote. It is very informative if you really want to understand deer calling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
snort wheeze

Many times, sometimes it will bring a buck when conditions are right. especially dominate bucks. Try it on a smallbuck and he will be gone. Its best used when a large buck is not going to pass your stand but he is in sight. Its a last resort call that I use after doe bleat, then grunt,wait a bit then horns then finaly the S/W. I do not use it blind calling. All the rest I do use blindly when wind and conditions are right
Wayles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts