Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being called every demoralizing name in the book by Jon Marquess (KCjon) and Jim Bath to go try field archery I went to my State's field championships (might as well go big the first time eh,lol.)

I had shot a 14 target hunter round so i wasn't totally clueless but man did i learn alot over the weekend. I set my goals low to not discourage myself but not make it so easy if you know what i mean.

goal for field ....500

score...503

I had 3 REALLY bad releases, one ending in a nice fat zero on the 50 yarder so i went to the bags afterwards to find out what my problem was. oh boy, i'm punching the release like a wildman! thought out my shot sequence and begin to put four back in the dot at 65...YaY!!!

so after i figured some of my problem I went to sit down and Jim goes,"so what do you think you will shoot tomorrow?"

"oooohhhh, 520 to 530 on the hunter round doesn't seem to much now that i got a wee bit figured out what my problem was at the time", I said.

Jim sets my goal for tomorrow at 525 and we got ice cream on this.....oh great, I just got swindled by a ole man,lol.

goal for hunter round...525

score...523 oh well thank god ice cream is cheap,lmao.

set another goal of having a 20 on any of the walkups and walked away with all walkups ending in 19's!!! man talk about a heart breaker on the 70 yard walkup cause i missed 61 i think if that is the right yardage by 3/16"......grrrrrrrrr.

all in all i am hooked and rubber deer isn't so much fun anymore. thanks for hearing my little rant, i plan on doing this alot more and even traveling to do more on this type of event, i'm lovin' it.

congrats to jon by posting a two new state records...

554 field ...had a 18 on our last target, the 65 yarder
555 hunter

also, congrats to Ray Manfull (Ray at work on AT) for setting a personal best of 548 in hunter, good job Ray Ray!! :lol:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Careful its addictive, and congrats on a fine start in Field
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no careful about it my down under friend, a new field bow is already in the works since i was shooting my 3-d setup which the guys told me i was smoking fast for field. 282 fps smoking for field...hmmmm,lol.

what i found soooo funny was the fact of all the horror stories i used to hear about field. tons of arrows damaged...nock busting of dozens of arrows. I only ruined one nock all weekend and that was me on the 20 field.

what i like about it most is you can actually rate your performance aloteasier than 3-d. i can always strive to hit 400 on a 40 target 3-d course (which i haven't done at all this year) but no 3-d course is set the same. with field you can always set goals and if you don't hit it at least you can look back and think about what went wrong.

i feel if i get a 55lb. max bow shooting around 270fps I can really have fun at this.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My thing about 3D is that I like to shoot arrows. 30 or 40 for 3D--vs--112 for field. You are right about consistancy, every range is set up with the same yardages, goals can be set....Watch out this stuff will get a hold of you!!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi
Yes if you stay around 270 and 55lb you should be right on target, so I may see you at the next world IFAA in Namibia :)
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, you guys act like getting hooked to field archery is a bad thing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
My whole life revolves around field I shoot everything else but love field, 600 shots including practice over 5 days really gives you something to train for

·
Registered
925 Posts
Lee, Lee, Lee,
I have told you all summer field was fun, that it challenges you purely as an archer. Just glad KCJon could help you see the light. Now, just get your arse ready to help me finish that course. We are ordering the supplies next month.

macatac

PS I made up a cool little score sheet, so you can see where your problem targets are. Let me know and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Welcome to the "Field Archery Addiction Clinic"....classes are being held 24/7 to accomodate the afflicted and the needy.......

Sign up quickly and take your place in line.....currently....cure....UNKNOWN!!!!

I too started off a little big.....the WFAC down in Australia and have loved every shot ever since.....well almost every shot!!!

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!

·
NC ASA Director
35,989 Posts
Sounds like fun Lee.

Maybe me and Kward can hit New River in Galax one weekend. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
sagecreek said:
Sounds like fun Lee.

Maybe me and Kward can hit New River in Galax one weekend. :thumb:
OBT and Jarlicker are going this weekend.
I'm going Sunday. New River is an awesome range:)

·
NC ASA Director
35,989 Posts
Macaholic said:
OBT and Jarlicker are going this weekend.
I'm going Sunday. New River is an awesome range:)
Yes it is beautiful.

I love it there for the 3D's.

I need someone to help me through my first one sometime, show me the ropes.

It's a closed VA shoot this weekend, right? :confused:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
sagecreek said:
Yes it is beautiful.

I love it there for the 3D's.

I need someone to help me through my first one sometime, show me the ropes.

It's a closed VA shoot this weekend, right? :confused:
I think that means guests can't compete for awards, I'm sure they're welcome anytime:)
Ask Jarlicker, he's the in-the-know guy:wink:

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
so I tried my hand at field archery...
I think you would score better using bow and arrow. :D :p

Glad you had fun!!! Good shooting!

·
Registered
828 Posts
You are in good hands

ursonvs said:
After being called every demoralizing name in the book by Jon Marquess (KCjon) and Jim Bath to go try field archery I went to my State's field championships (might as well go big the first time eh,lol.)

I had shot a 14 target hunter round so i wasn't totally clueless but man did i learn alot over the weekend. I set my goals low to not discourage myself but not make it so easy if you know what i mean.

goal for field ....500

score...503

I had 3 REALLY bad releases, one ending in a nice fat zero on the 50 yarder so i went to the bags afterwards to find out what my problem was. oh boy, i'm punching the release like a wildman! thought out my shot sequence and begin to put four back in the dot at 65...YaY!!!

so after i figured some of my problem I went to sit down and Jim goes,"so what do you think you will shoot tomorrow?"

"oooohhhh, 520 to 530 on the hunter round doesn't seem to much now that i got a wee bit figured out what my problem was at the time", I said.

Jim sets my goal for tomorrow at 525 and we got ice cream on this.....oh great, I just got swindled by a ole man,lol.

goal for hunter round...525

score...523 oh well thank god ice cream is cheap,lmao.

set another goal of having a 20 on any of the walkups and walked away with all walkups ending in 19's!!! man talk about a heart breaker on the 70 yard walkup cause i missed 61 i think if that is the right yardage by 3/16"......grrrrrrrrr.

all in all i am hooked and rubber deer isn't so much fun anymore. thanks for hearing my little rant, i plan on doing this alot more and even traveling to do more on this type of event, i'm lovin' it.

congrats to jon by posting a two new state records...

554 field ...had a 18 on our last target, the 65 yarder
555 hunter

also, congrats to Ray Manfull (Ray at work on AT) for setting a personal best of 548 in hunter, good job Ray Ray!! :lol:
with those two.Jon followed me around when he could barely hit the bale.If you hang around the two of them long you should be rewarded with considerable improvement of your archery skills.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wish we had more of it in my area. I only know of two ranges within a hour's drive for me and one of them is jon's main range. the other like j_mac said needs refurbishing, get them materials ordered ,lol.

Dean, I heard you have quite a challenging course on your land and like to make ice cream bets also,lol.:wink:

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
What do you consider to be the big difference for you from day 1 to day 2. My field and hunter scores are usually within a few points of one another. I prefer shooting the hunter faces though.

Great shooting in both cases, but a 520+ score on your first hunter round seems to be excellent.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the big thing was my shot sequence. relaxing and pulling through the shot instead of gripping and ripping. another thing was breathing. was shooting the 48 yard hunter bale and had one go really low cause I didn't breathe the way i normally do.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Thanks for the info. I feel my sequence is solid. I end up with bad shots when a shot hangs up and then I feel rushed to get it shot after I have let down.

I figure I need to work on blind baling and my mental game this fall & winter, then hit the field courses hard in the spring for some concentrated practice. Least thats my plan. I do most of my shooting at 10 yards, so I tend to hang up more on the moderate ranged shots. The long ones don't bother me, though I don't always score on them real well.:wink:

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
wish there was some field shoots where I live...........

no where close that I know of, there is a few places that have old coarses that are setup, but no shoots...........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts