Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The riser alone would be $500? And at the very least another $200 for limbs? :eek: I hadnt looked much into the high end recurves, when I saw them at hoyts site I always thought the bow came ready to go.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Unfortunately I have never seen a high end recurve all ready to go before. I may be wrong, but I have never seen it. I think limbs may run you a little more then that too if you want high end limbs.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yes. The riser is sold without limbs. There are very few Olympic-style target bows above the starter level (i.e. children's bows) that are sold as complete sets. At that higher levels of bow, most equipment and, particularly, the limbs are going to a matter of personal preference. Also, top-of-the-line limbs run over $500, so selling a $1000+ complete bow would be prohibitive. Thus, selling a complete setup would be somewhat ridiculous, since the archer is probably going to reconfigure the bow anyway.

If you want a Helix (and it is a great riser) but don't want to spend on high-end limbs yet, then get some Challenger Krafts or something like that. They'll run you about $140.

On the other hand, depending on your skill level, there are many less-expensive risers that will out-shoot you for years to come. Remember that the riser is a matter of personal taste and comfort. I choose the Helix over other risers because of its fit and feel in my hands. You may find that something else will actually feel and shoot better for you.

Regardless, if you are starting from scratch (and based on what you are saying, it sounds like you are), remember to figure in the costs of arrow rest (one is included..but..), berger button, clicker, string, sight, and stabillizers. (And, although it goes without saying: arrows.) The Helix is a great Olympic bow, but it does not work well as a barebow. Several people on this site have discovered that the hard way.

Have fun.

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
menza -

That's actually a plus, not a minus, if you can deal with the $$$. That way you can get the riser you want (model and color) and the exact limbs you want (manufacturer, model, length, weight).

The only thing that bugs me, is that after you've spent that much $$$ on a riser and limbs, they can't even through in a string LOL!!! (OK, some shops do.)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Viper1 said:
The only thing that bugs me, is that after you've spent that much $$$ on a riser and limbs, they can't even through in a string LOL!!! (OK, some shops do.)
Yeah..but with strings being as much personal choice as the rest of the bow, do you really want a throw-away Dacron string?

However, If they gave away 18-strand Majesty....

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
Cat -

I use Dacron strings on ALL of my bows. After 30 years of making them, you kinda figure out out to deal with them.

And no, I don't use the rest that comes with the bow ;).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
Miles -

Now, if they re-issued the old Hoyt Pro rest, I might be tempted ... :)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Miles Gloriosus said:
But what?

You get what you pay for....

It's not a bad rest...but to put a non-adjustable plastic rest on a bow like a Helix is pretty silly. Particularly, when a good ARE rest sells for less than $30.

Anyway, my $0.02.

-----

Hey Viper...good for you...I hear all you "old timers" sing the praises of Dacron...:wink:

Actually, I am sure Dacron's perfectly serviceable....personal preferences.... Now if you were using a cotton or sinew string on a modern recurve with modern limbs.....(which, I am sure someone somewhere is probably doing...)

Have fun...

PC-

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
Cat -

AND ... it's $8 a 1/4 lb spool!!! :p

BTW - there are also flipper rest at 1/3 the price of the ARE that perform just as well. (Only saying that because the only flipper rest I've had fail was an ARE.)

Actaully you might have trouble with the Super rest on the newer risers, as they are cut so far past center, you might not get enough offset - never tried.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
menaztricks said:
The riser alone would be $500? And at the very least another $200 for limbs? :eek: I hadnt looked much into the high end recurves, when I saw them at hoyts site I always thought the bow came ready to go.
After several minutes clutching your chest while suffering a heart attack when you hear the price you start reconsidering the Helix and GM. And to be honest most of us aren't going to shoot those expensive risers any better than the "cheap" ones. It just makes us feel better to have a shiny one.

I sold my expensive Hoyt riser, (a Matrix), not because it was bad, but because I couldn't justify investing that much into a riser when my scores were only marginally better than with a GM. I'll putter along with my old GM and decent Win&Win limbs. As a pair they shoot better than I do.

No bow manufacturer sells a complete high end recurve for the same reason no one sells a complete high end compound. Customers want to setup their bows the way they like and then keep changing things around. The manufacturers are happy to oblige since they sell more gear. ;)

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Paradoxical Cat said:

It's not a bad rest...but to put a non-adjustable plastic rest on a bow like a Helix is pretty silly. Particularly, when a good ARE rest sells for less than $30.

Anyway, my $0.02.

-----

Hey Viper...good for you...I hear all you "old timers" sing the praises of Dacron...:wink:

Actually, I am sure Dacron's perfectly serviceable....personal preferences.... Now if you were using a cotton or sinew string on a modern recurve with modern limbs.....(which, I am sure someone somewhere is probably doing...)

Have fun...

PC-
I sometimes use Dacron strings for blank bale/Formaster use but the dacron has far more vibration and arm slap than Dyneema.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasnt looking up the Helix prices for me, it was for a friend that really wanted that bow, till I told her the price estimate. I'm also looking for a recurve but I knew right off the bat a Helix wasnt going to be within my budget, I just didnt think it would be THAT much. I think I'm still clutching my chest having a hard attack.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Arrows

Don't forget the cost of arrows. Don't spend that kind of money and buy cheap arrows that won't fly right out of the bow. You might be luckly and find a shop like our pro shop that will sell you just one arrow to try out the spine. You know one ACE for $259 and they throw in 11 more for free. Darn nice of them too.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
menaztricks said:
I wasnt looking up the Helix prices for me, it was for a friend that really wanted that bow, till I told her the price estimate. I'm also looking for a recurve but I knew right off the bat a Helix wasnt going to be within my budget, I just didnt think it would be THAT much. I think I'm still clutching my chest having a hard attack.
The CNC'd risers are expensive, that is particularly true for the high end ones. On the other hand, you can get a cast magnesium or aluminum bow for much less. You might want to look at a GM or Eclipse as potential magnesium risers, or a Winstar II for cast aluminum. These risers run between $140 and $240. The limbs are not included in that price. Of course, there are other risers that are just as good, but these are some that I know.

As far as prices go, you have to be realistic. Target recurve bows are made for a small market and, thus, carry premium prices. However, there is a pretty good used market. Just go forearmed with an understanding of the prices and knowing what to look for and you won't get taken.

PC-

·
Registered
176 Posts
Titan Recurve Sight Pin

PC- I see you are shooting the Titan. We are currently using the Ambo Adjustable Iris aperture. My child's coach mentioned it. I was looking at it in the catalog. The smallest it goes 13mm is the larges the Iris goes. I was kind of worried about that for the small 40 cm face and 80 cm face. We use the iris to surround the yellow just enough that we can see the 8 ring. Do you like it and how do you use it?

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Hoytemgood said:
Don't forget the cost of arrows. Don't spend that kind of money and buy cheap arrows that won't fly right out of the bow. You might be luckly and find a shop like our pro shop that will sell you just one arrow to try out the spine. You know one ACE for $259 and they throw in 11 more for free. Darn nice of them too.:tongue:
LOL....as soon as my distributer agrees to sell them to me one at a time, I'll be sure to pass them on to you one at a time!:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Paradoxical Cat said:

I don't see it as a problem, myself.

I do agree about the AREs though. For less than the price of most wrap-arounds that people go wild for, you can have an ARE, which is far better than most or all of them.

Viper said:
Actaully you might have trouble with the Super rest on the newer risers, as they are cut so far past center, you might not get enough offset - never tried.
I had to use the fat foam on the Helix, but it worked fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts