Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for those of you who have been helping me decide what trad bow to start off with, thanks. The decision was somewhat made for me yesterday. Growing up I remember that my grandfather had a recurve hanging on a gun rack in his house. He passed away in February and I had asked my dad about the bow but he said he couldn't remember seeing it for years. I called him again last night and then ended up calling my grandmother. She immediately remembered because she had ran across it a few weeks ago and had set it aside to ask me if I wanted it. Well my dad went over and picked it up today (she lives on my parents property so he walked across the yard) and put it in FedEx so I will have it tomorrow. It is a late 60's or early 70's Bear Grizzly [email protected] 58AMO. My dad says it looks brand new, not scratch, stress mark, crack, or blemish anywhere on it. Grandma said he never hunted with it but he used to shoot targets in the back yard with it. It's a little shorter and heavier than what I planned to start with but it's free and more importantly it was his and now its mine.

I went and picked up a string, stringer, shooting glove, nok point, new Bear Hair rest, and some arrows. The arrows are what have me concerned. The only feather fletched arrows I could find after the 3rd stop are GT Expedition Hunters and I got 3555 based on the spine chart and recommendations. I had the inserts put in and left them full length to start. I picked up both 100g and 125g field tips.

My concern is this:

With 100g tip total arrow weight is 356.28 grains

With 125g tip total arrow weight is 381.28 grains

I was thinking I should be at least 100g heavier even though they will just be for target shooting for the foreseeable future. Does it matter? I have also seen that GT has screw in weights that can be added through the back of the arrow with their tool. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
OK, for those of you who have been helping me decide what trad bow to start off with, thanks. The decision was somewhat made for me yesterday. Growing up I remember that my grandfather had a recurve hanging on a gun rack in his house. He passed away in February and I had asked my dad about the bow but he said he couldn't remember seeing it for years. I called him again last night and then ended up calling my grandmother. She immediately remembered because she had ran across it a few weeks ago and had set it aside to ask me if I wanted it. Well my dad went over and picked it up today (she lives on my parents property so he walked across the yard) and put it in FedEx so I will have it tomorrow. It is a late 60's or early 70's Bear Grizzly [email protected] 58AMO. My dad says it looks brand new, not scratch, stress mark, crack, or blemish anywhere on it. Grandma said he never hunted with it but he used to shoot targets in the back yard with it. It's a little shorter and heavier than what I planned to start with but it's free and more importantly it was his and now its mine.

I went and picked up a string, stringer, shooting glove, nok point, new Bear Hair rest, and some arrows. The arrows are what have me concerned. The only feather fletched arrows I could find after the 3rd stop are GT Expedition Hunters and I got 3555 based on the spine chart and recommendations. I had the inserts put in and left them full length to start. I picked up both 100g and 125g field tips.

My concern is this:

With 100g tip total arrow weight is 356.28 grains

With 125g tip total arrow weight is 381.28 grains

I was thinking I should be at least 100g heavier even though they will just be for target shooting for the foreseeable future. Does it matter? I have also seen that GT has screw in weights that can be added through the back of the arrow with their tool. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
If all you're going to be doing is target shooting, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 100 gr. points put you just under 8 gr/#. The 125's put you at 8.5 gr/#. I'd try tuning with the 125 gr. first and if they fly well, it's all good. Personally, I shoot around 8.5 gr/# out of my bow for 3D and never had an issue. You did get a dacron string for that bow, right?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all you're going to be doing is target shooting, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 100 gr. points put you just under 8 gr/#. The 125's put you at 8.5 gr/#. I'd try tuning with the 125 gr. first and if they fly well, it's all good. Personally, I shoot around 8.5 gr/# out of my bow for 3D and never had an issue. You did get a dacron string for that bow, right?
Thanks, and yes 16 strand Dacron.

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
TX -

If you're drawing 28", then the lighter heads would give you about 7.9 gr/lb. Might be OK, but it also might be pushing it for an older bow that hasn't been shot in a while. For now I'd go with the heavier heads.

A 16 strand Dacron string is way overkill for that bow. 12 or possibly 14 would be much better.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TX -

If you're drawing 28", then the lighter heads would give you about 7.9 gr/lb. Might be OK, but it also might be pushing it for an older bow that hasn't been shot in a while. For now I'd go with the heavier heads.

A 16 strand Dacron string is way overkill for that bow. 12 or possibly 14 would be much better.

Viper1 out.
What is the effect of this? 16 strand is all they had at Cabelas. The guy also talked me into 60 AMO vs 58 AMO string as he said these strings have been running short and I could twist the 60 to get the proper brace height. Thoughts? Also, if you were going to buy arrows what would you start with? I was thinking Easton 2016's. what would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You need a new string, that one will be about 2 inches shorter than the bow. You would have to twist it until it starts folding up on itself to get any decent brace height. A 12 strand will fit most arrows, 16 fits nothing properly.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a new string, that one will be about 2 inches shorter than the bow. You would have to twist it until it starts folding up on itself to get any decent brace height. A 12 strand will fit most arrows, 16 fits nothing properly.
I had him pull the string out and measure it. Although marked 60 AMO it measures 54.5" un-stretched on a bow. The package says "all lengths measured at 100lbs tension."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice of you to get your grandpa's bow, I still have my 50# Grizzly my parents bought
for when I was around 10 in 73 and still have it, sux that the lower limb is
slightly twisted otherwise in great shape.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I add 100 grain brass inserts to my GT'3555's. The 3555's are actually pretty stiff arrows and the inserts help weaken them and bring up the weight. How long are your arrows going to be? If you can't find any brass inserts, shoot me your addy via PM and I will give you a few. John

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I add 100 grain brass inserts to my GT'3555's. The 3555's are actually pretty stiff arrows and the inserts help weaken them and bring up the weight. How long are your arrows going to be? If you can't find any brass inserts, shoot me your addy via PM and I will give you a few. John
Do these inserts require a tool to put them in?

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You can't just add 100 grain inserts. It's a whole new insert that would replace the standard you had them glue in. Get the bow and string sorted out first. The arrows and point weight will depend on your actual draw lenth. Untill you know that for sure it's hard to recomend something. Screw-in points in weights up to 300 grains are available if and when your ready to experiment.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Full length GT 3555 with feathers

are nice arrows for that weight bow. I have 125gr. tips on mine and use them for 40/45/50 lbs. bows. My 45lbs. Martin Mountaineer longbow LOVES the combo.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
BTW... forgot the most important part... congrats on acquiring a bow owned by your grandfather !!! That makes it extra special !

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
First off, congrats on great bow.

I would recomend that you get a new string first. There is a gent on this site that makes great strings and I would recomend him to anyone. I'll PM you his info in the morning.

The GT3555 will shoot fine with 100/125 grains. If you really want to get in deep, get the arrow test kit from 3 Rivers.

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
TX -

The biggest issue will be nock fit. A 16 strand string will not allow any of my nocks to fit - at all (bows+arrows in the 40-50# range). If yours fit without having for FORCE them on (not the caps), don't sweat it for now. Sure, you'll lose a bit of speed, bit that's not a concern right now, either.

As far as string length, the guy in the store should know if the string are coming true to length or short. Might want to take his advise. If you can string the bow there and you get a brace height anywhere near 8" you're probably fine. If not get a string that does.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone used these from Gold Tip? According to this info on their website the standard insert will accept these weights by simply removing the nok and screwing the weight into the back of the insert with their tool. Seems easier than replacing my inserts. Looks like they come in 10g, 20g, and 50g and can be stacked.

All points and inserts accept weight screws to allow you to customize your point weight and forward center of balance (FOC), using the weight adjustment wrench through the rear of the shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Has anyone used these from Gold Tip? According to this info on their website the standard insert will accept these weights by simply removing the nok and screwing the weight into the back of the insert with their tool. Seems easier than replacing my inserts. Looks like they come in 10g, 20g, and 50g and can be stacked.

All points and inserts accept weight screws to allow you to customize your point weight and forward center of balance (FOC), using the weight adjustment wrench through the rear of the shaft.
I have and think it's a pretty cool idea.

What I realized when I was playing with them was by screwing in those weights behind the insert...the dynamic spine didn't change much because the inserts filled in the arrow void as if you were also shortening the arrow...so the increase weight near the tip was cancelled out...in regards to making the dynamic spine weaker.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have and think it's a pretty cool idea.

What I realized when I was playing with them was by screwing in those weights behind the insert...the dynamic spine didn't change much because the inserts filled in the arrow void as if you were also shortening the arrow...so the increase weight near the tip was cancelled out...in regards to making the dynamic spine weaker.

Ray ;)
Glad to hear it as I just ordered some up. I also ordered nok adapters that allow the weights to be added to the back of the arrow to maintain spine.

As a side note GT rep told me to try Lancaster Archery Supply. I called and got pricing but the tool and nok adapters were out of stock so I decided to shop around first to see if I could get them quicker, glad I did. I went to Mountain Archery and they were almost half the price of Lancaster's. The weights were $7.49 per dozen at Lancaster's and $3.95 per dozen at Mountain Archery. The nok adapters were $7.99 vs. $3.95 and the tool was $2.00 cheaper at Mountain. I ordered up a dozen each of the 10g, 20g, and 50g as well as 12 of the nok adapters and the tool. Looking forward to tinkering with them.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's Here!

So FedEx came and brought my bow. I strung her up, looked it over, and all looks good. I am trying to decide if there is some slight twist in the bottom limb but after several minutes of looking it over, placing on a flat surface, etc...I am still not sure. When drawing the string resumes the string groove right down the middle on let down. I guess if it's that hard to determine then its not enough to worry about.

Now on to dating the bow. Serial number is KR52007 and it has brass colored medallion so I am thinking '70 or '71. Would like to know for sure as '71 is my birth year and that would just add to the coolness:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts