Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I need to do to keep it from spoiling? Our season starts on September 3rd and it's hotter than hell. What do I need to do to make sure that I keep my deer fresh and not let it get all nasty? Thanks, guys.

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I usually just gut it quick, throw it in the truck with the chest cavity packed full of ice then head straight to the butcher.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I process my deer myself. I usually quarter the deer out and put the meat in a big cooler with ice. I'll leave the meat in the cooler a day or so to let the meat bleed out as much as possible. Then process and package the meat.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i usually shoot a fawn opening day. why? because they are smaller and easier to process. you can drag them out of the woods fast, gut them fast, skin them fast, and quarter them fast. doing so will help you save time and prevent the meat from spoiling. ohh and they dont run too far either :wink:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
buddy did that last Nov. took whole deer to new processor and he took head to his pal a taxi. in two weeks when ready to go home deer was butchered and mount was done........ IMGP1238.jpg

·
Registered
23,229 Posts
In hot weather, it is very important to recover the deer as soon as possible and get it field dressed. That will get the bacteria factory out of the animal and also promote cooling. Leaving overnight as is common on TV hunting shows is likely going to leave you with a mess. I've done the ice bag gig a few times when I was hunting a distance from home, but also drove home with a deer on a tarp in the back of my Jeep with the AC blasting more than once as well. I am not a fan of hanging deer for "aging" the meat, but hot weather definitely is not the time to leave the animal unbutchered unless you have a walk in cooler.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I usually just gut it quick, throw it in the truck with the chest cavity packed full of ice then head straight to the butcher.
This is what I do. Early season hunts I have a bunch of 2L pop bottled filled with water and then froze. Stuff them in the cavity till I can get home and butcher it in my garage

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I just quarter up the deer and stick the sections in a cooler full of ice for a week. Then we butcher it up in the house.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i usually shoot a fawn opening day. why? because they are smaller and easier to process. you can drag them out of the woods fast, gut them fast, skin them fast, and quarter them fast. doing so will help you save time and prevent the meat from spoiling. ohh and they dont run too far either :wink:
hopefully the spots are gone.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
HUSSLE! shot my doe last year opening weekend when it was 87. we gutted her ASAP and got back to the house. we did not leave till 3pm and i shot her at 9am so as soon as we got back from the woods we ran in to town and got 60 pounds of ice and PACKED her full of it and left her in the shade. did great and nothing was spoiled...got to the butcher at 5pm. mmm she was good! ;)

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
ditto, but i butcher my own deer

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
2 hrs. That's my goal from the time it dies to have it in the cooler on ice in 90 degree plus heat.

·
Bow Only
9,553 Posts
i bought an old beat up BUT still working deep freeze!

i usally hunt afternoons so goin straight to the butcher is usally not an option since he's about an hour away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Plus, they are absolutely delicious!!!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
another key factor to warm weather hunting is to make triple sure you get both lungs. if you make a bad shot, it's very difficult to recover the deer before it spoils.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts