Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had just drawn back and getting ready to sight in and my string exploded.... Looks like it broke under the serving a couple inches above the peep. I hadn't seen any signs of wear at all and it only had around 300ish shots on it. Anyone have any idea of a cause for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
First, I hope you didn't get hurt. Did it break as you were drawing back or at releasing? Did you check the arrow? Did you check the arrow nock?

In my opinion, I would lean towards the arrow or arrow nock being damaged on a previous shot causing the dry fire. Not that it's impossible for the string being the corporate but unlikely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arrow beforehand was in perfect shape, after its m.i.a. I was at full draw, just getting my sight picture when it gave out. Went through the draw cycle fine, but I never actually released it.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Maybe the break came from derailing.
There's been a few threads with this happening, and some have shown pics of cams with deeper string tracks than those that were first released.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
That sucks! Hope your okay and minimal damage was done to your bow. We're you drawing? At full draw? Did it happen when you released?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Sorry you posted as I was typing

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks! Hope your okay and minimal damage was done to your bow. We're you drawing? At full draw? Did it happen when you released?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Sorry you posted as I was typing
I was at full draw, but never released it.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
If you have the shallow Grove cams probably derail

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Why would a derail cause it to break a couple of inches above the peep at full draw?

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Derail is impossible unless the string was released. Some of you need to read more carefully.
What peep are you using? Possible burr/sharp edge on peep?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Derail is impossible unless the string was released. Some of you need to read more carefully.

Hamskea insight peep, newer version. Break was several inches up from the peep under the serving though.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Hamskea insight peep, newer version. Break was several inches up from the peep under the serving though.

If nothing touched the string while you were drawn, I'm going to say the string was damaged somehow. Maybe touched with a razor trimming off serving... something.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

[ur

Edit cause idk if u can post YouTube videos

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://youtu.be/AJoxJJjcQFU

Cut to about 1 min 10sec

And op I'm not saying this is what you did at all I'm just showing a bow can derail without the string released
I've never actually seen that happen before. I'm confident that isn't what happened here, but who knows. All I know for sure is it need some new strings before next weekend!

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
https://youtu.be/AJoxJJjcQFU

Cut to about 1 min 10sec

And op I'm not saying this is what you did at all I'm just showing a bow can derail without the string released
Maybe I should have been clearer.... the cams have to be rotating back to static.
He said he was at full draw and anchoring.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Maybe I should have been clearer.... the cams have to be rotating back to static.
He said he was at full draw and anchoring.

Would have to disagree- If OP has a bow with shallow cam grooves as was questioned in other posts the string could have been derailed with excessive torque. We also don't have any information on possible cam lean contribution. Not saying this is the case, especially with the break under the serving, just saying it's not impossible.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Would have to disagree- If OP has a bow with shallow cam grooves as was questioned in other posts the string could have been derailed with excessive torque. We also don't have any information on possible cam lean contribution. Not saying this is the case, especially with the break under the serving, just saying it's not impossible.
String broke just above the peep.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts