Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your walking to setup and all of a sudden a deer starts blowing at you and wont stop. is grunting or calling make her feel more comfortable or has she caught wind of you. Also, it was a full moon thursday, does that mean they will be out at night more. didnt see any during the weekend during the day, but saw them at night. need some insight.

·
Registered
907 Posts
While turkey hunting this spring, I had 3 does spot me and start snorting. I gave a couple of series of soft clucks on the slate call and after a few seconds they went back to browsing.

They spotted me, not winded me though and this was right at first light.

Jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turkey call, thats a good idea. funny, i had one in my backpack:)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I usually just go ahead and get in my stand anyhow...if I don't have any other stands around. But thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a deer after I've had them blow at me....I'm not sure...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Blow back at it and it's likely to shut up and run off .

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i sure didnt see any today, i kinda figured i wouldnt because that heffer blew for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
JEofWV said:
While turkey hunting this spring, I had 3 does spot me and start snorting. I gave a couple of series of soft clucks on the slate call and after a few seconds they went back to browsing.

Jim
I've heard this is a great idea several times before, but I don't turkey hunt, and so I don't have any calls. But I may consider picking something up for just this reason.

As for what I do, I often times will lay right up against the tree I'm in, and whatever I do, I will not make eye-contact, but even at that, it is often times a lose-lose situation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Happened to me last year opening day of rifle season.

I just ate the last roast from her a few weeks ago :)

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
HuntmDown said:
Blow back at it and it's likely to shut up and run off .

That's exactly what I do and I am surprised at how well it works. I will stomp my feet and snort right back at the deer doing it to me. You'd be surprised how many will calm down and just walk off like nothing happened, as well as how many will actually come to investigate the other deer stomping at it lol.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
Funny

I guess there are a few of us who blow back at 'em. I tried the first time after getting busted going to my stand. I did it more because I was pissed about getting my afternoon hunt getting messed up by this. I was just trying to say "f- you too" back to her in a language she might understand. Imagine my surprise when, not only did she stopped blowing, but just stood and watched me as I continued on toward my stand. I actually had to wait for her to leave the area so I could get up my tree.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I usually sit tight. After 5 minutes the woods will settle back down and go back to normal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Last year on a cold morning hunt, I almost stepped on three bedded does while walking to me stand. Needless to say they scared the crap outta me when they jumped but they all took off in different directions. I was only about 50 yards from my stand so I went ahead and climbed in and got situated. I could here them blowing all from different sides, getting closer and closer. They finally converged less than 30 yards from me and stopped blowing. Have always heard of "contact" blows but this is the best illustration I have ever seen. Most hunters only hear a blow when a deer has been spooked and this is the most common thing. But usually if one is standing blowing at you, she has either seen or heard you but can't confirm that you are danger. So the idea of either blowing back, to make her think you are another deer, or using a turkey call to make them think yo uare a turkey are both very useful tips. You never know, either one may either calm her or make her come closer to investigate and give you an opportunity at some venison on the table.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Keep on hunting... I have been busted before and had mature does blowing what seemed like 15 minutes.... still see deer later in that hunt. Last year had doe that winded me and was blowing... shot a buck 20 minutes later

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
keep on hunting.

the big question related to this scenario........................

is

do deer have short-term and long-term memory of events or things that happen in their environment? presently i am unable to interview them and get a straight answer out of them :wink:

my experience with this issue. a younger group of whitetails dont seem to bugged by much. almost like they forget the whole incident shortly thereafter. on some occassions have seen the deer passing back the other way within 1 1/2 hours. with this said; however, i believe its a totally different story with older/mature whitetails (rutting time excluded).

good thread and very appropriate as most of our seasons are here or quickly approaching !

camoham

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JEofWV said:

Jim

Ive heard to use a squirrel call too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
what do you do

I really do not think The snort is a get out of town alert,more like a heads up.Many times a deer will snort at me walking in the dark to my stand, always see deer in the area later. I had A doe deer snort at me in my tree stand, then run off.Few Minutes later killed A nice Buck walking under the stand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts