Archery Talk Forum banner

so you cant sharpen a Montec? do this!

4275 Views 19 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  QuickReflex
I love the G5 Montec broadhead. It has everything I want in a head but I never could get them "sharp". You know the kind of sharp I'm talking about. The kind that will shave hair from your arm.
I've killed a few deer with them and was very impressed at there durability but I never got the blood trail that I thought I should and I think this is due to the lack of "sharpness"
I did some searching here on AT and found that they have a 30deg angle on the blade and this is never going to get "sharp" but it would be durable. I did find one post that sugested a tool to change the angle http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4238 I ordered one and got to work. Now my montecs can easily shave hair off my arm. Follow the directions to a Tee and you will have a very sharp montec.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Ive asked this before but with no clear answer, why do you need to have a BH that shaves ?

you shoot a bow producing close to 300 fps or more with an arrow weighing
400 to 500grs plenty of KE. inside of 35 yds youll most likely get a pass through how is a sharper BH gonna do any more than has already been done.

As far as blood trail goes Ive never had a problem following one from a montec.Ive shot muzzy and slicks aswell to me not mch diff. except you dont have to worry about blades .

· im not NOT licking toads.
7,992 Posts
Ive asked this before but with no clear answer, why do you need to have a BH that shaves ?

you shoot a bow producing close to 300 fps or more with an arrow weighing
400 to 500grs plenty of KE. inside of 35 yds youll most likely get a pass through how is a sharper BH gonna do any more than has already been done.

As far as blood trail goes Ive never had a problem following one from a montec.Ive shot muzzy and slicks aswell to me not mch diff. except you dont have to worry about blades .

a shaving sharp head will slice cleanly instead of just pushing through vitals.

and a cut from a razor sharp head bleeds better
and wont clot and stop the bleeding as easy as a dull cut will.

have you ever noticed how much you bleed when you cut yourself shaving???

a shaving sharp head gives MUCH better blood trails IMO..

· Registered
6,153 Posts
a shaving sharp head will slice cleanly instead of just pushing through vitals.

and a cut from a razor sharp head bleeds better
and wont clot and stop the bleeding as easy as a dull cut will.

have you ever noticed how much you bleed when you cut yourself shaving???

a shaving sharp head gives MUCH better blood trails IMO..
Exactly!!!!

· Registered
2,313 Posts
They are plenty sharp right out the pack, Ive had NO problems whith them at all, and Ive used them eclusively now for the past 3 years other than in heavy grass where I use a mech. usually a tekan II . I dont buy that making them any sharper helps, I could understand if they were blunt dull but they are not they will cut you. The angle of the edge is desinged so that it doesnt dull as easily , changing this only make the edge more apt to roll or become dull. Ive never had one as stated push through,every one I have shot made a clean sliced hole. Besides if it was pushing then how would you get pass throughs ?

· Registered
1,064 Posts
I can sharpen mine to the point where they shave the hair off your arms with no problems. I know there a tough BH and thats why I oredered another 15 last night.

However you sharpen them as long as theres a reasonable edge on them as has been said at 180-200mph there going to do there job as long as you do yours.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
18 degrees is a serious slicing angle but not durable. They are stout heads so not really an issue.
the files dont change the angle to 18 like the link says, it changes it to 24 deg.

the sharper the blade the better it cuts, the better it cuts the better it bleeds. Once you shoot a deer with a razor sharp broadhead and see the blood trail that looks as if someone splashed blood from a bucket through the woods you will understand.

· Registered
513 Posts
not happy with my Montecs

I am not happy with my Montecs. Sure the shot is back a little father then it should have been. He only went 50 yards. I did get the back of the lungs, but notice no blood! Not a drop, not even where he laid down. I did sharpen them like they showed on G5's website. They were much sharper then when I opened the package. Not sure what happened but should have been more some blood.

Attachments

· Registered
224 Posts
I forget where I have seen it but it has been proven that you will get a better (and longer if shot placement wasn't as ideal) blood trail if the cut was from a sharper blade. It has to do with the trauma produced down to a cellular level. When the flesh is sliced through with a sharp blade the signal to send the "clotting agents" isn't sent right away because the damage isn't realized by the body immediately. But when the blade isn't as sharp it creates enough trauma that the body reacts more quickly and begins the clotting process much sooner. Think of when you've cut yourself with a razor as compared to something else like the edge of a piece of sheet metal. One clots quickly the other doesn't.

rthawker

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant wait to shoot a deer with my new sharpened Montecs. They are razor sharp now. Before,,,,, well I never thought they were that sharp and the blood trails sucked compared to say a muzzy You have to have a razor to make good blood trails.

· Registered
763 Posts
The reasons aren't made up. rthawker is on the right track.

They don't HAVE to be razor-sharp. You don't HAVE to wear you seatbelt in the vehicle. Will you instantly die if you're in a wreck? No, not necessarily. But having a seatbelt and having a razor-sharp blade are very very very good, and scientifically backed, ideas.

You do bleed more on your face because of the number of vessels. But I've for one have cut myself with razor sharp knives AND had flesh "snagged" by hooks and rocks. The cuts from a SHARP edge will always bleed more. The upside is that they heal faster as well...but that's off topic.

Your blood vessels have several types of nerves in them. I forget the names but there is a certain kind who's specific job is to sense pressure. Pressure is created when things are 'torn' by a dull blade. No to little pressure is create by a clean slice. Without that pressure, the signal rthawker talked about, is never sent. The body has to rely on slower methods of realizing it's bleeding out. Besides, sharper blades cut more vessels since the there's no/little resistance to make the vessels near the ends of the blade want to "roll"...they simple get cut or nicked just like the others.

:darkbeer:

· Registered
6,474 Posts
30 degrees? 30 x 6 is 180. 360 is needed to go around a circle. These are set flat on a stone to sharpen. They are much closer to 60 degrees. I don't see any reason to put the time in needed.
Dont' look at it as a circle, but an equilatteral triangle. Which is 180*, however that gives 60* per edge divided by 2(when sharpened) = 30*(+or-) each x 6 = again, 180*

Triangle Triangle Line

Time? Takes me about 10 minutes tops to get one razor sharp.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
the montecs are plenty sharp enough, besides ive shot deer and hog with muzzys and thunderheads that didnt leave alot of blood to trail . Different areas will bleed better, never said sharp head was a bad thing , just that montecs do just fine right out the pack. after shooting through an animal
then of course sharpen them , but all that, that they must shave is nonsence.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.