Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Blacktails are just so cool looking! Beautiful buck.
They are very cool deer. That was last day of the season, early November. I was slowly walking a gated off logging road, all uphill probably a mile or so in, and looked down the embankment and he was staring back at me about 50 yards away quartered to. That .308 shooting 165 grain Hornady SST put him down right there. I actually couldn't find an exit wound until I skinned him out. Bullet went in base of the neck and most have disintegrated inside him because his insides were mush and all I could find on his off-side was a broken rib.

Just when I was considering quartering him to get him up the steep embankment I heard a noise and here comes a brush cutter tractor up the road. He gave me a ride back down to the truck and left the gate open for me so I could drive up and get the deer. I'm not sure the live weight, but he was 145 pounds skinned/gutted/backstraps removed.

·
Back down to ground level
17,868 Posts
That second photo has me wanting to buy a moultrie. Beautiful photo. Do you get that quality of photo often?
That was my sons camera, m80 I think or something like that. Deer were standing still on his bait. I had a couple too and didn't like them. Too slow of a trigger speed and shutter speed. Took around 6 seconds to shoot after triggered. Had a lot of butt shots of deer on trails and night shots of racks were so blurred if they moved their heads you couldn't make out the points. That was 10 years ago so I'm sure the cameras today are different.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
13 Posts
That’s awesome! Last year was our first year in i think over 20 years to be able to legally kill a true 6. Been under QDM for quite a few years where your bucks had to have 4 point on one side. Last year they added in that they can also be legal with having a 15” outside spread. Maybe i’ll get me one some day!
you talking about Dawson Forest?

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
13 Posts
I have no idea what that is. Haha
haha guess not. It's a WMA up here in North Georgia and everything you listed were changes that were made last year. I just knew that was what you were talking about lol

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Not really, a cull buck in my neck of the woods here in Mo. In my county illegal anyway with the 4 pt restriction. Which is unfortunate for good eats.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I'm in central Mo. Tons of deer. Rarely see a 6 pt get magnum big. Following year they usually start to develop beyond.
Hey shoot em, fill that tag.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
If it's brown it's down right? Depends on your neck of woods and conservation restriction. I shoot my share of does, fill that freezer.
I’m just saying there’s no such thing as a cull buck. 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s either a shooter or not.

We’re 4 points on one side also with a new implementation of (or15” outside spread.)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts