Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what expiriences you have all had when a deer has snorted at you? Do you continue to sit your stand and hope for the best? Have you been lucky enough to harvest a deer after the fact? Do you leave the stand immediatly and concidering the time, move to a different location?

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Definitely NOT what I was thinking when I read the title........:mg:

Anyway, I continue to sit there after getting blown on. :zip:

Lien2

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Just sit tight another one will come along. deer blow at lots of other things then just humans. Besides they are curios little critters.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
scented

Don't let it make you give up.

Stay!

If they didn't see you, wait a lil' and grunt a couple.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Lien2 said:
Definitely NOT what I was thinking when I read the title........:mg:

Anyway, I continue to sit there after getting blown on. :zip:

Lien2
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have shot a deer less than 10 minutes after being blown at. I don't leave the stand.

·
Registered
893 Posts
So blow.

A lot of hunters are under the impression that if a deer snorts or blows while you are in the area,the hunt is over.
I do not think this is the case.
many times I have had deer blow at me while walking to my stand.
shortly after see deer arrive in the area, harvest a deer,sometime same deer that blow at me earlier.

Deer also blow at other deer.

I think the deer blowing is just an alert, not always a signal to head for the hills, deer do not always leave an area and not return.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
I was in a ground blind next to a hay field a couple of years ago. The deer started coming in about 45 minutes before dark, I saw a bunch of doe and yearlings and behind me I could hear a buck tearing up the broom weed. I kept as still as I could when all of the sudden about 4 feet behind me this doe lets out on heck of a snort and blow. Stomps her feet and takes off. The other deer just kind of look at her as I haven't moved (I swear my heart was about to bust out of my chest!!!). A few minutes later, the buck starts tearing in to the broom weed I was using as a blind, boy did he get a surprise!!! Too bad I couldn't shoot him since he was behind me but once he figured it out he was gone as well. I still about wet myself when I think about it. Azhunter saw most of it from about 50 yards away, I'm surprised he didn't scare them all off with his hysterical laughing, he sounded like a unit!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had this happen last week and i came down an hour later(not dark yet)and had a deer blow again at me as i was waling out.
I would stay put till hunting time is over DRAK.
good luck.:pepsi:

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
bear45 said:
I have shot a deer less than 10 minutes after being blown at. I don't leave the stand.
Two years ago I shot a buck ten minutes after a different buck saw me and snorted his way out of my area code

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
I usually just sit there & watch for other deer , I too have also had the same deer that blew come back a few moments later so unless it's time to leave, "too dark" I'm staying.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Last week ...

I had a buck snort twelve times at me. he didn't see me move i think he must have gotten a wind on me. But he blew and blew. 12 times the most i've ever had a deer snort. Well My trail monitor had shown me that a good buck was coming into the setup just around that time. Anyway make a long story short i was walking out, after the hunt, and fifty yards away over a knoll that blocks my view of the upper trail a buck had skirted my setup and walked around the knoll and got back on the trail after making two major size scrapes.
i thought at the time to let the younger buck just snort away. But now seeing what I think was my good buck skirting the area i think he reacted to the unbelievable amount of snorting and avoided the area, only to enter the trail fifty yards from where he was suppossed to.
I think in the future i would let the younger buck see me move after only a couple of snorts, so he is sure to high tail it out of there before a better buck decides to avoid the area also, after hearing continual snorting.
I think if i had waved at the buck and sent him on his way i might have had a shot at a P&Y buck.
it was different for me because i have never had a buck snort that many times(12) witout moving on.
just putting this out so it might help somebody.

Good luck guys.
Joe Lorenti

1 - 15 of 15 Posts