Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've decided it's time to move to compound; rather than just order a bow online and hope for the best, I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can go in SoCal (I'm in Los Angeles) where I can try out a few bows / release aids, get the bow set up properly etc.. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ewan

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
Hi-Tech Archery in Fullerton on Commonwealth has the largest selection in Southern California. Google them and you can see what brands they carry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am also in LA.. Here is my experience from just last week...

Massive thumbs down to Hi-Tech. They won't let you shoot and thier customer service blows (unless you are dumping a ton of money, they will make you feel like you are wasting thier time) Got a new bowstring there and some of the parts didn't make it back on my bow. Told me I should have checked it before I left the shop.
Ever hear the saying "the customer is always right" well, over there it's "We can't please everyone" (those were the shop owners actual words to me)

Massive thumbs up to Archery Outpost. Very cool people excellent cusomer service, and they will let you try out equipment. I set up a "shooting party" with a bunch of my friends (most have never shot a bow) at thier range. Everyone had a blast and wants to do it again. Friendly, courteous, and professional. They fit my friend to her bow and got her some arrows super quick and we were off shooting.

Go with whoever you feel is right for you. I was warned about Hi-Tech and didn't listen.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you are in the San Diego area anytime, check out Performance Archery. You can shoot anything you want and the staff is awesome.

·
fffft is all you hear!
584 Posts
I am also in LA.. Here is my experience from just last week...

Massive thumbs down to Hi-Tech. They won't let you shoot and thier customer service blows (unless you are dumping a ton of money, they will make you feel like you are wasting thier time) Got a new bowstring there and some of the parts didn't make it back on my bow. Told me I should have checked it before I left the shop.
Ever hear the saying "the customer is always right" well, over there it's "We can't please everyone" (those were the shop owners actual words to me)

Massive thumbs up to Archery Outpost. Very cool people excellent cusomer service, and they will let you try out equipment. I set up a "shooting party" with a bunch of my friends (most have never shot a bow) at thier range. Everyone had a blast and wants to do it again. Friendly, courteous, and professional. They fit my friend to her bow and got her some arrows super quick and we were off shooting.

Go with whoever you feel is right for you. I was warned about Hi-Tech and didn't listen.
I was there when this Idiot came in. But I was in the back and out of sight. First off the shop was busy and he thought they should drop everything and wait of him. Then there was a recurve string on the counter. He paid for a string and just grabbed that one and left, only to find out it was a shop string for the other bows and the wrong size for his. Then he comes
to return it and get the proper one, but he must of been on his break time from work. Then he decides that he is going to vent and start yelling at the kid first then the older gentleman. And then wanted compensated for his own screw up. Frankly he best be glad I wasn't an employee waiting on him, I would showed him the door real quick. He was a total idiot over a
10.00 dollar bow string. He also kept talking that he could get stuff cheaper on the internet. Well buddy please do that and wait the week or 2 to get the stuff, and pray it is right.
By the way, I have been a customer at Hi Tech form many a year. There is a reason it is the biggest shop in S. Calif. Maybe the biggest in Ca. The customer Service is outstanding.
You have to wait your turn and be patient, Not come in on your break time and expect to be waited first over the other customers that were already there. And just for some more information. Hi Tech happens to be friends and knows all of the other local shops including Archery Outpost. So much so that when they are in a pinch, they buy the stuff from Hi Tech rather
than waiting to order them. But then all you have to do is look at the Outpost and then look at Hi Tech which has at least 100 times the inventory and 3 times the size. Hi tech has
people come from over 100 miles just to shop there, even though they have a couple of shops in between. The range fee is 10.00 for all day which is less than most shops. Go to the Outpost and see if you can shoot for free. Hahahahah. No they won't let you try and shoot a recurve, but they will let you test some of the compounds. Further when you buy something
from Hi tech they stand behind it. If there is a problem, they go out of there way within reason to make it right. So go ahead and visit the other shops, Then visit Hi Tech and make you
own decision. Most likely you will find that this guy is way off his rocker.

·
fffft is all you hear!
584 Posts

Go with whoever you feel is right for you. I was warned about Hi-Tech and didn't listen.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, Your the guy with the Merlin bow. Lets see, the owner of Hi tech went out of his way to help you out, to include making a custom string for you. This was a bow you bought over the
internet. Did he charge you the standard of 35.00 an hour to work on it. You wanted it to fit you better. NO you didn't get charged for that. I believe you had cracked arrows that
could of only happened by hitting something hard other than a target, You expected to have them arrows replaced like they would be guarentied from lousy shooting.The owner met you half way and cut the arrows down some so you could still use them. The owner also put 3 different strings stops on that bow of which you didn't like any of them. I think you bought a rest. Then you show back up days later and say they lost a piece of rubber off the bow. The shop gets cleaned nightly, if it looks like trash, that is where it ends out. No Hi Tech does not rent bows, The Outpost does. Hi Tech
won't let you shoot there recurve's but they do have compound demo's you can try with supervision. You were obnoxious and Irate. I would of shown you the door. They on the other hand were
patient and tried to help you within reason. No Hi Tech is not open on Sundays which is the time you mentioned that you were meeting your friends to shoot at the Archery Outpost range. Hi tech is
good friends with the owners of archery Outpost and knows all the workers there. They have helped 2 other shops get started. They know all the shops around, owners and workers. There are a lot
of times that the Archery Outpost will come to Hi Tech to buy something rather than order it and wait for it to come in. There is a reason Hi Tech is the biggest shop in S. Calif. And why people will
travel over 100 miles to come there rather than there local shops. They have the biggest inventory and best customer service. All you have to do is come in and see for yourself. This guy is way off his rocker.

·
fffft is all you hear!
584 Posts
And here is another thing you can add to this. Ask yourself why it is that Pasadena Roving archers brings there people over to Hi Tech archery. You can easily look them up and ask. Or
They have a shop closer to them. How about Riverside Archers, and I am not talking about Riverside archery shop. Or you can call and ask Oranco Bowman who they go to. Again there are shops closer but they use Hi Tech. Mojave and Cherry Valley archers also use Hi Tech more. And even Bass pro shops have referred people to Hi Tech Archery. These are simple things that are easy to check on. It is a shame you get a guy that thinks people bow to him, so he throws a fit when things didn't go the way he wanted. So he is going to bad mouth the shop. There are people out there that hate Wall Mart also, Why are they one of the biggest stores around? You should form you own opinion and go in and check them out for yourself.

·
fffft is all you hear!
584 Posts
I know all the shops around, I know the owners, I have shot with all of them at one time or another. I have been in all the shops. You could probably take all the local shops inventory
and it still wouldn't match how much is in Hi Tech's shop. You should visit both shops and make up your own mind. Just please remember that if Hi Tech is busy to not be impatient.
Somebody will get to you as fast as they can. And no I am not an employee there. I just don't like it when somebody puts down a shop that I have been going to for years, I have seen
them go out of there way to help charities. They help the colleges, Long Beach, Fullerton, archery programs. They help the kids by having a Joad program. They hold in house tournaments once in awhile to help out any of these programs. And they donate a lot of items to some of the 3d events like riversides charity event for a child that has cancer. I spend a lot of time at Hi Tech and they have shown more patients with customers than the average person would of. So when I see a person put down this shop and know what transpired the day he came in. When Hi Tech went way over and above to try and help this person. And it was the owner of all people that helped him. It just pisses me off.

P.S. Hi tech Archery wishes to apologize to Archery Outpost (Conner) for now you have to deal with the Merlin Bow person.:thumbs_do

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To follow up, drove over to Hi-Tech Archery today. Talked with Rick, decided on a PSE Dominator Pro, and the usual bolt-ons. Rick set up the bow for me, and Buddy spent some time on the range with me to ensure everything was as it should. Overall a great experience, no complaints - except they're all the way over in god-damned Fullerton and I'm in Santa Monica :)

Regards

Ewan

·
fffft is all you hear!
584 Posts
Very glad you had a great experience. Buddy is one of the better shooters around. We were hammered there today. I jumped right in and helped. And also had to do lessons up stairs. Great day. See now you made up your own mind and seem to be glad you did.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And here is another thing you can add to this. Ask yourself why it is that Pasadena Roving archers brings there people over to Hi Tech archery. You can easily look them up and ask. Or
They have a shop closer to them. How about Riverside Archers, and I am not talking about Riverside archery shop. Or you can call and ask Oranco Bowman who they go to. Again there are shops closer but they use Hi Tech. Mojave and Cherry Valley archers also use Hi Tech more. And even Bass pro shops have referred people to Hi Tech Archery. These are simple things that are easy to check on. It is a shame you get a guy that thinks people bow to him, so he throws a fit when things didn't go the way he wanted. So he is going to bad mouth the shop. There are people out there that hate Wall Mart also, Why are they one of the biggest stores around? You should form you own opinion and go in and check them out for yourself.
First off, I wish I would have seen this reply sooner, It would have allowed me to clarify the actual events and address the individual who is making theses insults and accusations....Secondly, You seem a bit confused. Which one am I? Was I the one with the Merlin? Or was I the "idiot" with the recurve bowstring? Because I wasn't both.
I do find it interesting that you feel compelled to comment on exchanges that you are not directly involved in, and offering your negative comments directed at another AT member only backed by your limited understanding of the entirety of the situation. (i.e no one made me custom strings and you clearly don't know what transpired with any accuracy)

Ewan asked for feedback, what I offered in this post was MY actual experience, nothing more. (I have heard others stories I about HT, but that isn't what this post was about)
I had been going to Hi-tech for a while (took my first archery classes there, had a blast) followed up with a few more and decided that this archery thing was for me so I joined AT and started learning about archery in these forums. Eventually I ended up buying a bow from a fellow member of Archery Talk ("The Internet", if you will) and took it in to Hi-tech to get a new string, arrows, and parts the bow needed in order to get shooting. (please stop me if you feel there is something is wrong with purchasing in the classifieds of this forum rather than buying from your store)
Most of my interactions at Hi-Tech were positive, because I trusted the instructors to instruct well and the repair shop to do good work. Yes the bow-tech was trying to sell me more equipment(kinda part of his job, right?) He tried multiple string stoppers because the ones he was trying didn't seem fit the bow properly. The one that did was too pricey for me, so I opted for a rest, an off-the-shelf bowstring (it was not custom), arrows, and a few more misc. things. I also brought them a big purchase that day, my friend that dropped over $1600 cash on a new bow setup (nice of me eh?) who came in on my then-recommendation of the store. Joe did a great job and we both walked out satisfied with our visit. (and I was excited about my newly strung bow) It was busy that day and we all had to wait our turns, but that is to be expected. They were patient, helpful, and professional this particular day. Let me state that I have always patiently waited my turn at any place that I have been, out of courtesy and proper raising, anything said to the contrary is a outright lie.

So at the range, my fist shot missed the bale and hit a wooden board and shattered the carbon shaft, My second shot hit squarely in the newly constructed target and the nock popped off. (last time I checked the manual, I think bales were on the list of things you are supposed to hit.) Arrows that I have bought since then have been MUCH more durable. I then noticed that something was missing from the bow.
I called to ask them about the missing piece and was told that it was at the shop somewhere, just come down. This time I came without my wad-dropping friend and brought the (one) nock-less arrow with me along with the intention to buy some more. (I must point out that Hi-Tech is just under a 2 hour RT drive for me in LA traffic)
When I showed the (one) arrow to Joe he looked it over, heard what I said about it being fired only once and said that he could cut it down below the split so I could reuse it. Good enough for me.

When it came to the missing part, that's where it all came tumbling down. But obnoxious and irate? Throwing a fit? Asking for special treatment? Were you even in the same room? No one even raised their voice in the entire conversation. At one point I did hear an irate guy in the back say "I saw that bow when it came in, it had NOTHING on it!" So he was basically calling me a liar... Only not to my face, classy.
I was then asked "Who is going to pay for the time the bow-tech spent with you and that string stopper?" Seriously? I drive them in nearly $2000 worth of business that day and THIS is what you come at me with? Because of that one thing that I was offered and didn't buy?

At this point it was only about customer service. Had he just said, "Hey we lost the part, we can take a few bucks off your next purchase to make it right" I would have felt my continued patronage held some value to them. I would have been good. Is a couple of bucks too much? Ok, Something.. Anything... a gesture even a "We are sorry" Nope, it was "my fault" for not checking their work (glad they don't work on cars)
I drove all this way out wasting time and gas based on the shops word over the phone that it would be taken care of, I am obviously feeling kinda duped here and I am walking out of your store with nothing but a bad feeling and no recourse...

What you do little, you do big. My loss was a bit of riser dampening material that they forgot to replace and some gasoline as well as my time. Was I out of a lot of money from that? No. But that was a little thing, what if they had made a more expensive error? Can I trust that they have the integrity to make it right? They balked on such a small, easy fix. The way I felt walking out the door did not inspire confidence that they would. If they won't do it little they won't do it big. After hearing "Well, We can't please everyone" I lost trust in the shop. I hope you can hear that it isn't about money, it's the business practices.

To give a my positives on the store I would say that the work done is high quality, it is the biggest store of it's kind in the area, and the classes are run well. Their biggest issue is that they seem to just barely tolerate customers on some days and are somewhat pleasant the next. (not just me, check the reviews online, or at the clubs) At Archery Outpost, you can see the love of archery on their faces and it's in the way they deal with customers. (especially beginners) They even fixed my friends (just bought) arrow when it broke on their range. They also offered me a rate reduction on the next range visit when it was full and they couldn't accommodate me and a friend. (we had called beforehand) We never asked for (nor did we feel the need to redeem) the offer, that built trust.

I do feel that I should thank Huya for so clearly illustrating the attitude towards customers that I was trying to explain at H.T. I couldn't have conveyed the essence of my own point better. I know you said earlier in the post that you are not an employee, but you also mention ''jumping in" when it got busy so you might be interacting with customers as well. The way you present yourself in these posts is consistent with that C.S. As an unpaid employee, you still represent the store.
We can see you are upset by my post, and have a great deal of loyal the store. And yes, I was a miffed at the store when I wrote that post explaining what I felt was poor treatment (however I didn't resort to name calling). But insulting people on a open forum shows a shameful lack of respect for fellow AT members, does little to validate any points you are trying to make, it does not change the fact that I had a negative experience with the customer service at this store, or oppress my right to say what is true for me when asked And I will continue to do so. What I posted was one opinion backed up with actual facts of my experience, not something I partially saw and pretended to fully understand.

I am glad that the Ewan had a good experience (I did too my first few visits) The words of my original post were "Go with whoever you feel is right for you" He obviously did and it worked out. Great.
I don't have a desire for the store to go down, just to let people know that they have other options, and perhaps get it across to the customer service at HT that we (as patrons) have other options... as well as a a voice.
I just hope that somehow someone over there at Hi-tech can make use of the information contained in a negative review (not just mine) and use it for some form of professional improvement, rather than what we are seeing here... Avoidance of responsibility, lashing out, and blaming the customer.
Are they better just because they are bigger?

·
Registered
76 Posts
In further reflection of the entire incident... It is true that most of my experiences at Hi-tech were positive. And that day would have gone down very differently if the younger employee had not started the downward spiral by bringing my integrity into question. The lost part was really insignificant next to the disrespect shown to me. At the point that an honest customer is called a liar by an employee for no good reason, and then treated like one, there isn't much left to do but walk out of the shop.

-"the Merlin Bow person" :thumbs_up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts