Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone out there can offer a suggestion as to why this problem is occurring. I'm running 10 feeders on three different properties. Most of them are set up using a BA Products digital timer mechanism powered by a 6v 4.5 milliamp rechargeable battery hooked up to 6v solar chargers that are advertised to use with game feeders. Up until this year, I've had good luck with these solar chargers keeping the batteries working on the feeders for 2-3 months where a fully charged battery alone would only power the unit for 4-6 weeks. For whatever reason, this year the batteries have been going down in less than 4 weeks even though they are fully charged starting out and I'm not running the feeder motor any longer than I ever have (4 seconds in the morning and 4 in the afternoon). Also, I thought at first it might have been "old" batteries, but it's happening even with new ones.

I'm wondering if it's the intense heat we're experiencing down here in Texas is having anything to do with it? On the other hand though, those solar chargers are getting plenty of sun!!

Any thoughts on why these solar chargers aren't extending the life of the batteries longer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT one time

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
45er--just pulled my external battery pack (same as you describe you are using) off one of my game cameras. It consistently does the same thing as you describe, even though it is a new battery. I suspect it may be partially due to the heat, but that doesn't explain why another camera about 1.5 miles away with the same solar panel and setup works perfectly. Makes me scratch my head????
I'm gonna swap solar panels on it after I get it out in the full sun to check its output.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i use the moultrie batteries and solar panel and get 2-3 years out of them
Interesting - what are "Moultrie batteries"? Who makes them? Are they the typical "6v lantern batteries" or a different shape?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts