Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the guy kept talking about was "This thing is gonna shoot 333fps" That is what Parker puts out for the IBO of this bow. I told him he was gonna be disappointed. He is shooting a 27 in. draw at about 65 pounds and the fastest we could get it was 268fps. He was heart broken. I tried to get him to crank it to 70 pounds but he said there was no need. The bow shot great, I was impressed. It is the first Hornet I have set up. I just hate to see these guys, and most are veteran shooters, get their hopes up over an IBO speed. I told him that is why I like Bowtech/Diamond. They give you what THAT particular bow in your hand shot. It is a more realistic staring point.

But the Parker did shoot very well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speed

It amazes me that so many veteran shooters get wound up about these hyper speeds. They talk about flatter trajectory, impact time, etc. When they get all worked up about carbon, steel, three or four blades and the rest of it, I remind them that Native Americans killed buffalo with sharpened rocks tied onto cut tree branches that were much less strait than .006. :frusty: It's too much hype. Practice shooting - and when you get good, be content. Unless of course they want to tell me their bow is better than my Martin....then the gloves come off! :argue: Boys will be boys....the age doesn't really matter!:argue:

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Phalanx said:
It amazes me that so many veteran shooters get wound up about these hyper speeds. They talk about flatter trajectory, impact time, etc. When they get all worked up about carbon, steel, three or four blades and the rest of it, I remind them that Native Americans killed buffalo with sharpened rocks tied onto cut tree branches that were much less strait than .006. :frusty: It's too much hype. Practice shooting - and when you get good, be content. Unless of course they want to tell me their bow is better than my Martin....then the gloves come off! :argue: Boys will be boys....the age doesn't really matter!:argue:
Rocks and sticks!! That's what I always say. I can't believe how many bows sell just because they are ibo rated 320 or higher. The ONLY bow I know that shot my hunting arrow above 310 was my Mathews Safari Custom set at 95#!

The Hornet will send some arrows though!!!!--Mono:wink:

·
Registered
588 Posts
95 #!!!

Good lord, that hurts thinking about it!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
huntnhammer said:
He is shooting a 27 in. draw at about 65 pounds and the fastest we could get it was 268fps. He was heart broken.
In my opinion, assuming the arrow was a suitable weight, that is a very respectable showing at that draw length and poundage!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree

Snood Slapper said:
In my opinion, assuming the arrow was a suitable weight, that is a very respectable showing at that draw length and poundage!
I was happy with what the bow did but he was not. He wanted that 333fps, 268 at 65#, I was very happy. And the guy was shooting about 1 1/2 in groups with his first three arrows. Once I got it sighted in it was bull, bull, bull. He has nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
It confuses me why experienced archers look at IBO speeds.
I know that I'LL never reach them because of what my draw length is and my maximum poundage.
But for some reason people think that because the bow is advertised for it then that's what it will shoot:confused:
What's even worse is that high IBO speeds DO SELL BOWS!!!!

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I like the IBO speed just cause I know i can get something with a low draw weight.

I figure you either pay for it in draw weight, cam harshness or long power stroke(more to draw back) so you can just pick your "evil" :wink:

I'm shooting a 475 grain arrow at 52.5lbs, 29" draw 227fps..plenty fast for me....

I saw one of them Parkers at the shop last week...them camo dipped cams are sweet....that dude didn't care about speed...just wanted it set up right..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts