Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting in my kitchen in Baltimore, Maryland in the middle of this snow storm. I took my hearing aid out so that I would not hear the constant drone of the local news outfits going on and on about the snow. I wish I could make it to the range to pound some paper but that will have to wait. I must get a Jeep for days like this but that is another story.

I have a Bowteck Tomkat that I am not using due to the purchase of my Accu Riser I. I am thinking of what to do with this bow. I would like to pimp this bow out. Planning on ordering one of Jim Posten's wicked creations 36 inch big boy with the quick release and side bars. By the end of January will have an Axcel 3000 sight with a scope to match the stab. The lense will be drilled with a fiber optic fiber and 6X magnification.

What other options do I have? This bow will be for 3D action and I would like I to be an eye catcher. At the moment all I can do is dream and shovel snow. Can I eventually ship out the bow to be dipped, painted or wrapped? Colors would be black or gun metal possibly crome. It would be nice to get some crazy florecent strings added to this package. I am not really interested in changing the cams or the angle of the limbs but if it is possible to get some heavy duty Barnsdale limbs with some shoot thru cams that would be increadable.

So I say to all of Archery Talk. What say you? I know there are Franken Bow projects going on as I start this thread.:BrownBear::set1_thinking::BrownBear::cow:

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Sell it, it will never give you a return if it's turned into a target bow. Sell it and get something with a more stable platform like a BowTech Captain or Sentinel for 3D and then pimp IT out with a shoot through and crazy strings. It will be a guaranteed shooter with great performance, much more than the TomKat ever thought of being. You might sell your Accu Riser if you end up with a Sentinel like I described:wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not really interested in selling either bow. I will never sell the Accu-Riser. If I can purchase another one I would do so in a heart beat.

The statement that the Captain or the Sentinal would be a more stable platform is worth consideration. At the moment I just want to use what I have. New bow prices are very high and jobs are moving overseas at an alarming rate. (Something must be done but that is a subject for another tread) A quality target bow purchase is in my plans for the future.

I am not interested in resale value of the bow. Just want to know what can be done to jazz things up. The special ops colored Captain or Sentinal would be a nice idea.

Don't get me wrong. Your comments are greatly appriciated.........Any other suggestions. Ones mind tends to wander during these snow storms.

Bring it on Archery Talk......Bring it on!!!

I will just sit back and have another:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I bought my Tomkat in 08 and have loved it, I've used it for 3D shoots and even killed my elk with it, there's nothing at all wrong with the TomKat... I think it would be cool to have it blacked out with some crazy colored strings like my Special Edition SWAT!!! I'd like to have my Tomkat blacked out, but I'm mainly using it for a back up ol' faithful bow now, so I don't wanna spend to much on it. I think I'm collecting to many bows, my wifes on me all the time, wait until I take the D350 or 340 home!!! (LOL):wink: Keep your Tomkat, you'll never get anything out of it money wise...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your comments Drifter0678. It is good to see that others appriciate the Tomkat. One of my club members said that there is nothing wrong with the Tomkat. I just have to outfit it properly. This is the reason for this thread.

OK...... new cams may not be the best idea but a quality sight and stab are required. Jazzy strings with a nice double wide sling to match are in order. She will remain in camo until all the accessories are purchased and used. At this piont perhaps she will be sent out to some talented wizard of bows for her transformation.

Again I am bored with this snow. A batch of dijon mustard carribian spiced wings are broiling in the oven. I am out of Captain Morgan but have plenty of homemade beer in the cooler. A 2 year old heffe weitzen will be consumed shortly.

All comments and ideas are welcome. Randy, if you are lurking the Tomkat will be back properly outfited and ready for the club's 3D season.

I'll just sit back and have yet another:darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
You could tear the bow apart like I did my Old Glory and have the riser Powder coated and the cams done also. I like how I got mine done in a Black Wrinkile and Chrome cams and Limb pockets! Strings are easy to get there are many threads in the Classifieds to get you the color and material you want .

I got my bow done by a member here : 1Cbrguy he does excellent work this is the 2nd bow he has done for me!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Elk4me. Was it your bow that I saw a few weeks ago pictured in a thread? If so it was a very nice color sceme. I have never heard of the wrinkle color scheme. Nicely done. I might have to look this gentlman up and request his assistance on this project.

Thanks for the comments.

Next Man Up. Does anyone have a line on billett finished accessories? Just asking.

The wings are almost done. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Nope wasnt my bow you seen , I just got mine back today and gona have it put togethor tomorrow or Wed I will send you a picture when I have it all assembled in a few days!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I tend to agree with WWAG if you want to build a great target bow, but you sound like you just want to have a little fun with what you got.

That said the Tomkat is NOT and inherently INaccurate bow IMO. Lots of people look only at the 31" ata and say it won't shoot, but I am currently getting my arse handed to me in spot league by a friend shooting his hunting rigged Tomkat (his glory days are about over:), but I have to admit defeat at this time :embara:)

One thing that gets overlooked as well is the 8-5/8" BH. As far as limbs go I would talk to Dave Barnesdale himself, although I have seen 0 problems with the stock limbs. I think you would have to change cams to make it a shoot through, but I bet you would have the only shoot thru Tomcat out there. :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh yes....... It would be wise to speak with Barnesdale himself. I remember he asked if anyone had risers they wanted to outfit we could contact him. Thanks for the reminder.

For now I just want to have fun with the kat. I think I have attached pictures of the Posten that I would like to use for this bow. I copied the pictures from the Posten Nation thread in the Mutantville section. Perhaps this will let you see why I am juiced about this idea.

Thank you all for your replies. If this set up does not work I can always purchase a new bow Hoyt, Martin, Bowtech or Athens to use.

The wings are ready, the beer is cold and Duke is playing Gonzaga.

I think I will have another:darkbeer:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I understand what and why you want to fix up your TomKat but no one will be "wowed" with your TomKat nor do I think you will be at it's performance when you're done with it.

I DO think that YOU WILL be "wowed" with a tricked out and off the hook Captain,, with your 27 inch draw length. Doing a TomKat, to me would be like sending a Stevens .22 out to the gunsmith for a trigger job and a new stock. A Captain however that is shoot through ready,,nearly would be like sending out a Remington 40XB for a new barrel and stock bedding job. Yes it will be more money but I'll wager you'll be much happier with better scores and confidence,, why do we shoot anyway:wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems as if these wings are spicier than I expected. Will be drinking more water than beer. Often plans change out of necesity.

That being said, lets say I purchase the sight and scope, the Posten stab, the Bodoodle rest, and an attention grabbing double wide bow sling and use them all on the TomKat. In a few months after the bank account is replenished I purchase the Captain (it is said to be dead in the hand after the shot) and move all the accessories over to this Captain then I would have a shooter. If I wanted to at that piont I could send it to the lab to be pimped out.

This sounds good but would you do this to a new bow? Would it not be better to work on the Kat that is gathering dust? I see what you are saying and a tricked out Captain would be wonderful. At my stage of development a stock Captain would be increadible.

Just asking for different ideas from the good people on Archery Talk.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
It seems as if these wings are spicier than I expected. Will be drinking more water than beer. Often plans change out of necesity.

That being said, lets say I purchase the sight and scope, the Posten stab, the Bodoodle rest, and an attention grabbing double wide bow sling and use them all on the TomKat. In a few months after the bank account is replenished I purchase the Captain (it is said to be dead in the hand after the shot) and move all the accessories over to this Captain then I would have a shooter. If I wanted to at that piont I could send it to the lab to be pimped out.

This sounds good but would you do this to a new bow? Would it not be better to work on the Kat that is gathering dust? I see what you are saying and a tricked out Captain would be wonderful. At my stage of development a stock Captain would be increadible.

Just asking for different ideas from the good people on Archery Talk.:darkbeer:
Money for money a used bow is much cheaper and it sounds like the 2010 Captains are exactly the same. The Captain limbs have a very good track record so I wouldn't be especially wary of a used bow in that regard. I'd suggest for you to shoot one first by all means. You might not like it at all but then you might be one of the guys that shoot it lights out without a shoot through, then you would be money ahead right off the bat.

Put your bolt on's on the Tomkat and establish an accuracy benchmark and see if it's where you think you should be and go from there.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Strip and polish the riser, then get it anodized gun metal grey. Barnsdale limbs in carbon fiber dip and polished-to-the-max cams and limb pockets. Black grip panels, too. No need for flrorescent strings, though. Keeping it dark and stealthy looks much cooler. Don't forget all the little polished parts, like bolts heads and such, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts