Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A man once said:

...the smart man learns from his mistakes.........the GENIUS learns from others'.....

Here we are again....in the midst of another bow season.....and just like the fall leaves are beginning to turn....the sun always rises in the East and sets in the West.....

there will be threads that start like this..

..........I just shot a deer........the hit looks great.........I found my arrow......I waited 1/2 an hour..........found blood for 100 yards.....etc...etc....

I can't find my deer.....HELP!!!

1. If you are absolutely, unequivocally, uncertain that you drove your broadhead tipped arrow through BOTH LUNGS....than back out....

2. If you had done number 1 above....than you would have heard and/or seen that deer DIE within 60 to 80 yards of your stand location.

3. If you took a 1/4'ing away shot...and maybe hit ONE LUNG.........back out....wait at least 1 HOUR...........on a mature BIG BUCK........at least 2 hours...

4. If you took a 1/4'ing to shot...and clipped one lung and MAYBE liver........do the same as number 3 above.

5. If you heard a

LOUD CRACK.........than you got SHOULDER.........let the deer go overnight......be prepared to trail a live animal the next day...

DO NOT be confused if you see your arrow with "good" blood on maybe 8 - 10 inches of the leading edge of the shaft....more times than not..the shoulder will cause an arrow to "ricochet" along the underside of the hide...been there..done that..

6. If you think you gut shot a deer............back out very quietly.....the majority of gut shot deer will bed down within 50 yards...

ever been hit in the guts before...........yeah....don't feel so good does it?

your inclination is to drop to the ground and reel in pain..

OKAY............now you can go out and hunt...

oh....one more thing.............HAVE FUN, wear that safety harness.. and BE SAFE...

· Registered
651 Posts
Great advice. Also should maybe mention that your time might be spent better out in the woods doing a grid search on a lost animal instead of asking what to do on AT. This should be a sticky.

· Registered
291 Posts
as a new bowhunter I can only say thank you. this is the reason I came to this site to begin with, to try to educate myself and become a better hunter. I have been reading an awful lot of posts on here and for the most part everyone has really been great about helping out. But just as I have read on here nothing educates you more than sitting in the stand!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.