Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I have been shooting wood bows for 2 years barebow. I am a gap shooter and the shop I shoot at has told me that I am no longer allowed to purchase another hunting recurve to compete. This very accomplished compound shooter told me to compete I need to get an olympic rig. So, I have currently a tiburon (same thing as a gamemaster) with carbon inserts to dampen the noise. I shoot it with a champion II rest 50lb draw weight at my draw I can also hold it for a while. Now I am interested in an olympic rig, but the riser I have will accept a ILF limb with a bushing change. Should I save up(buy limbs for the riser I have?) and get a really nice hoyt or get the kap winstar II to start with? Also, what competitions do they have for me and my shooting style. Traditional?Barebow? or All of them? Can you shoot with a elevated rest in the traditional category? I really want to compete being that hunting is becoming a expensive habit as of lately. I figure if I am not going to hunt as much then I can shoot in competitions.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
fingershooter

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds to me like this compound shooter wants to sell you a new bow! NAA offers barebow classes at most shoots. The potential problem is that there are a very limited number of barebow shooters, so if you are good, you can end up being a big fish in a small pond, whereas in Olympic recurve, you most likely will end up being a small fish in a big pond.

As for the riser, the choice is yours. If you feel you're going to stay with Olympic recurve for a long time, you could go out and get top-of-the-line equipment right away. However, to shoot competitively, you will need a lot more than a riser and limbs. You will have to buy a sight, rest, plunger, stablilizer, plus the "want to have's" such as a V-bar, side bars, back weights, etc. If you don't have unlimited funding, you could start with the KAP Windstar II, buy decent limbs of the proper weight, and buy a better sight, rest, plunger, etc. If you want to upgrade the riser later, there is always a market for it on here. The limbs you will most likely upgrade after a year or so. The better accessories can then be transfered over to your new bow.

As for what is legal in barebow and traditional classes, you'll have to take a look at the rules for the NAA and NFAA classes.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
As a barebow recurve shooter in both the NAA and NFAA I'm not going to try and talk you out of barebow, I say welcome and bring someone with you! (smile)

If a shop owner told me I was "not allowed" to buy what I wanted I would take my business else where. I agree with SteveN, he just want's to sell you something. Buy it some where else!!

Serious barebow competition probably does require you give up on the "hunting recurve" if you want to be competitive. NAA has a Traditional Nationals target shoot every year, just before the official Nationals in Colorado. That is older style longbows and recurves but not hunting bows. NAA and FITA have Barebow which is an Olympic stile recurve without the clicker, sight or stabilizer. FITA Field is one of the best archery games there is and is big in Europe but not popular in the US. NFAA Field is the other great archery game and has both a Traditional style and Barebow. What separates them is in Barebow you shoot against sightless compounds and can string walk and face walk. In Traditional style you use one anchor and must touch the nock with your index finger. Also no stabilizers or weights allowed on the bow.

I say stick with Barebow. It's 21st Century archery, still done the way it always has been done...holding the full weight of the draw on your fingers and using just the bow and arrow to aim.

Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
Further to the comments from Steve & Dave, your Tiburon is a high quality riser - very much a "smaller Aerotec", but there are a few limitatons you should be aware of:
ILF limbs can be adapted to your riser, but you will not have the weight/tiller adjustment of a target riser, the length will be shorter & the weight heavier than marked on the limbs.
For Barebow Field (FITA), the unstrung bow must pass through a 12 cm (4.8") circle - I'm not sure if your riser will allow this due to the TEC Brace shape. It should be fine for NFAA Field.
IF you decide to go the route of sights, stabilizers, etc - you may find the sight window a bit short (especially for the closer shots in field.)
That being said, PLEASE do try target or field / barebow or sight & without "training wheels". With all due respect to the compound shooters, more people should give competitive recurve shooting a try - no matter which style or class.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
With all due respect to the compound shooters, more people should give competitive recurve shooting a try - no matter which style or class.
Hear, hear. Ditto. Right on. Amen. Couldn't agree more! (smiley face goes here)

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thankyou for all the advice. One last question.
I want to shoot barebow, and locally there seem to be alot of ASA shoots which has a traditional class. Does anyone know if I can shoot off an elevated rest?

I think I will get started with a kap and then go into the expensive rig or may get lighter weight limbs for the tiburon. I realize I will forgo the adjustability but at least its light weight.

What is everyones take on the tradtech pinnacle with ilf?

thanks
fingershooter

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last thing

I think maybe I was a little misunderstood about the compound shooter guy. Basically he was saying that I am a really good shooter and should look to getting into an olympic rig. Something which they don't sell. Dave T the trad in the field, can it be done with an olympic riser without all the bells and whistles.
Also, I have shot fingers with a compound(I was considered weird,especially because I am so young). But if I wanted to shoot sights I would have sold all my recurves, but I just like shooting a recurve better without sights. However, I think it cool to see the recurves shot with a sight.

fingershooter

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Dave T the trad in the field, can it be done with an olympic riser without all the bells and whistles.
NFAA Traditional style allows elevated rests and plungers. You must shoot with the same anchor and the index finger must be touching the nock (split finger or 3 under is acceptable). No markings or attachments in the sight window that can be used as an aiming device, or on the string. No restriction on arrow material.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
specifics

Dave,

It might help him to hear some examples of what we shoot in barebow/traditional. By the way, ASA allows elevated rest and plunger in traditional class. In fact, I have shot the same bow in ASA Traditional that I shoot in NFAA traditional and NAA Barebow.
My rig is a 25" Win & Win Xpert riser with long Win&Win limbs. I shoot a 70" bow because I draw about 31 1/2". Dave draws something like 32 1/2. Depending on your draw length, you might want to go with a shorter bow. I shoot ACE's for field and FITA outdoor.
As always, you decide what you want to do. The gentleman who referred to the fish and pond was right on. There aren't many of us shooting barebow, but I don't understand why, much like I don't understand why there aren't more field shooters. If you want to be an Olympic shooter, get all the sights, stabilizers, clickers, etc. and have a good time. I shoot with a family of that kind of shooter and they are terrific shooters and people. The son spent 2 months at Chula Vista, the Olympic archery training center last fall. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to when I'm too old to shoot barebow any more. :)
YOu might find it interesting to look at the scores and numbr of participants at the NFAA National Indoor Championships held earlier this month. The number of "Recurve" shooters, which is the name of the class you are talking about when you talking about Olympic style, was down because of the Olympics. Look at last year's scores to see how the numbers change when they are there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts