Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a machinist by trade and since I started archery 4 years ago, I have made a lot of my own things to keep costs down. Made all my stabilizers, stabilizer mounts, quick disconnects, some custom small parts for my bows, custom draw board for my EX Green using a crossbow crank, bow stands for my bowhunter setups. Bow vise, arrow spinner/spine tester, and much more.

Machine tool Gas Engineering Toolroom Machine

Electrical wiring Engineering Machine Electronic engineering Wire

Gas Engineering Machine Service Military camouflage

Wood Gas Tints and shades Tool Machine

Wood Machine tool Engineering Gas Machine

Wood Machine tool Art Gas Toolroom

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
600 Posts
Very nice. You own a shop or just have the opportunity to use the mills, etc? Either way, great work. You ever thought of selling some of your DIY stuff?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. You own a shop or just have the opportunity to use the mills, etc? Either way, great work. You ever thought of selling some of your DIY stuff?
Worked in the shop now for 28 years. Pretty much have free reign. Have keys so can access the shop any time day or night. We are an automotive machine shop but have a lathe and a mill.

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
600 Posts
Worked in the shop now for 28 years. Pretty much have free reign. Have keys so can access the shop any time day or night. We are an automotive machine shop but have a lathe and a mill.
Perks!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
All nice projects! i'ver been retired for almost 10 years, but when I think about it, I think to have been a machinist would have been a great gig. Of course, my thoughts in my twenties and thirties were not what they are now. One of my friends dad was a machinist at Kodak. We used to give him some good natured ribbing. How could a high school drop out be teaching college courses? He knew his stuff!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All nice projects! i'ver been retired for almost 10 years, but when I think about it, I think to have been a machinist would have been a great gig. Of course, my thoughts in my twenties and thirties were not what they are now. One of my friends dad was a machinist at Kodak. We used to give him some good natured ribbing. How could a high school drop out be teaching college courses? He knew his stuff!
It's like most other career fields. After a while it's just another job. I went to vo-tech in 85/86 for this gig and have been doing it ever since. There is nothing like the feeling of taking a piece of raw material and machining a functional part. Despite my main job being automotive machining, I love whittling parts out on the lathe and mill.

And of course through building parts, I got tired of waiting on my local powder coater, so I built a 3' x 3' x 5' powder coat oven and an 8' x 10 ' room for just that. Powder coat was cool in the beginning, but now its not as much fun any more.

·
Registered
29,137 Posts
One of my longtime hunting friends was a machinist......he built a few things for me over the years. Since he retired my well has pretty much dried up, but it took a toll on his body doing machine repair as well. Nice work, sir!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts