Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 31.5, HHA Tetra Max, QAD Integrate MX, 10/8 Flatlines, Mathews V-Bar, Victory VAP TKO
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an opportunity to go out and scout this afternoon and found a nice spot to sit on a log with some cover around me. I was downwind and probably about an hour into it, this doe and two fawns came strolling by roughly 10 feet away from me. It sure got my heart racing! They even circled back around in front of me to eat some of the soybeans. The doe looked at me for a bit before just continuing to eat. I do apologize for the crappy photo as this was taken off the video I took. Hope you guys enjoy! It was an awesome memory. I also saw a smaller buck and another doe in different spots across the field.
Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I had an opportunity to go out and scout this afternoon and found a nice spot to sit on a log with some cover around me. I was downwind and probably about an hour into it, this doe and two fawns came strolling by roughly 10 feet away from me. It sure got my heart racing! They even circled back around in front of me to eat some of the soybeans. The doe looked at me for a bit before just continuing to eat. I do apologize for the crappy photo as this was taken off the video I took. Hope you guys enjoy! It was an awesome memory. I also saw a smaller buck and another doe in different spots across the field.
View attachment 7674997
I absolutely love this. I regularly hunt from above, but love to sit and get close even more. I'm also thrilled when others find excitement in getting to close to any deer, or other animals, and not just "big bucks". I have too many friends who are forever disappointed that they "only" saw 15 does and fawns on a hunt, as if it wasn't worth their time.

Love the pic and story!

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 31.5, HHA Tetra Max, QAD Integrate MX, 10/8 Flatlines, Mathews V-Bar, Victory VAP TKO
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good pic. I hunt that way. I'd miss the excitement if I got back up in a tree
I hear you on that but I have yet to really try it! I went out once on the ground to hunt, but it was later in the day and I only sat for a short period of time. It would be quite special to have an opportunity to shoot one that way, though!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soybeans are definitely my favorite crop to hunt. The deer love them and will come from all over to eat them
I have a couple ladder stands we set up every year in “permanent locations,” but one definitely has to go along that field this year. They have been hitting it hard for sure. Last year, it was also beans in that field but with the drought we went through, they didn’t grow very well and the deer weren’t on them as much.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I absolutely love this. I regularly hunt from above, but love to sit and get close even more. I'm also thrilled when others find excitement in getting to close to any deer, or other animals, and not just "big bucks". I have too many friends who are forever disappointed that they "only" saw 15 does and fawns on a hunt, as if it wasn't worth their time.

Love the pic and story!
It never gets old for me! Whether it’s a small doe or mature buck, they get my heart racing all the same! It’s pretty special to get close to those animals and I think we often take it for granted. You have great insight, and thank you for commenting.

·
Back down to ground level
18,185 Posts
I hear you on that but I have yet to really try it! I went out once on the ground to hunt, but it was later in the day and I only sat for a short period of time. It would be quite special to have an opportunity to shoot one that way, though!
Even when I hunted from trees, I'd get down and stillhunt while scouting midday or just to do it all day when the weather was right. Shot a lot of deer that way and they are the hunts I remember the most because of how they played out. You should try it once in a while if you have the right cover and terrain for it. Also have good memories of standing just 6-10 feet up on a limb and shot deer after they walked under me. I'll get bored easily doing the same thing day after day. Best part of my job was going someplace new all the time. I still get an average of 3 deer a year now that I've been ground hunting all the time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even when I hunted from trees, I'd get down and stillhunt while scouting midday or just to do it all day when the weather was right. Shot a lot of deer that way and they are the hunts I remember the most because of how they played out. You should try it once in a while if you have the right cover and terrain for it. Also have good memories of standing just 6-10 feet up on a limb and shot deer after they walked under me. I'll get bored easily doing the same thing day after day. Best part of my job was going someplace new all the time. I still get an average of 3 deer a year now that I've been ground hunting all the time.
That is awesome!! I will definitely have to put some more time into it this year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts