Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just been talking about the delima I would have during bow season if someone's mut dog kept running my deer during bow season. My wife actually thought it was me until she saw it was on the other side of town. I atleast have enough sense to to arrow someones pet in the middle of the city. It was a big stupid looking dog, but all they are showing on local news are its puppy pictures. Of course, there was no mention of the city leash law either.
Here's a link.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/1684121.html

G

·
thats great thats what we need dogs being shot with bows that does alot for our sport. what kind of idiot would do something like that.also if my dog got loose in the woods and got shot for chasing deer that so called hunter better get ready for the beating of his life.
mike

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Dog, that's childs play lol. A few years back in PA there was a story that stayed in circulation for god knows how long. Apparently some nitwit decided it would be "cool" to shoot a cow with his bow. Well, he shot it and the shaft went about half way in. Farmer came out the next morning and to the amazement of all the cow was still alive, just standing there with the arrow in it. I'm not sure what became of the cow in all honesty, but it was in the papers and on the news almost every night.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
If ya head shoot them , noboby ever finds out :D

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
A few years back I had someones rotweiler's come and mess up almost every hunt I was on. It's like they would wait for me to show up and get in the tree and then 30 minutes later here they came "freshening up" all my mock scrapes as they went.

One morning one of them scent trailed me to the tree and when I tried to wave him off he started snarling and barking. I took off my headnet and tried to shoo him off but he only got more aggitated. I tried to "freeze" hoping he would get bored like his buddies and wander off but he kept coming back and jumping up on the tree, chewing on my treesteps, pulled my scrape dripper down and thrashed it. This went on for nearly an hour before he and I came to an understanding.

Keep your dogs under control.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Powderfinger, that was not nice to say !!!! If someone shot my springer I would have to beat their butt with a 2 x 4. Then stick what is left of the arrow up their you know what ?????

·
Registered
768 Posts
Is it not amazing that the liberal media only provides information that they want people to focus on that meets the goals of their agenda?

Why wasn't the dog on a leash, in a fenced yard or in a kennel? When you own a dog you are responsible for controling it.

Also, how do they know that "Jax" hadn't been raiding garbage cans or wasn't being aggressive to someone. One of these action could have been the reason for him getting shishkabobbed.

Sorry, but if Jax would have come in my yard with my 3 & 4 year old daughters acting aggressive, I would have popped a cap in his hairy butt.

People have gotten darn right ******ed! What really cracks me up is that this was probably WBKO's top story that night when they could have been reporting on something that really impacts the community or the country.

The guy that shot the dog does need his arse kicked, for not making a successful attempt at recovery and disposal.

Big KY Howdy to ya Uk Buck!

Rick
Western Kentucky University Alumni

·
32,710 Posts
The only way I would shoot a dog if it's attacking me. I love mine way tooooo much and I don't want to kill somebody elses love. I would want to beat the hades out of someone who harmed my little Button. She is like family to me!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah, I dont understand why some people think they can kill another persons pet just because they posess a weapon. :angry:

Unless the dog is attacking you, you have absolutely NO reason to kill it.

As for dogs getting loose, and running through the woods, it happens. For those of you willing to kill a family pet because there are "leash laws" or for some other BS reason... I hope you kill the pet of a man willing to serve you the same "justice".... Rediculous! COMPLETELY REDICULOUS! NO WONDER some people look down on hunters. This crap gives us a bad image :mad:

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
i didnt bother to read the story...

its not like people think its just fun to shoot dogs

not in the city unless its self defense....out in the deer woods differnet story maybe

who knows the true story behind this one....lord knows the paper isnt gunna tell it

some people habitually leave their pets to roam free even after repeated complaints by neighbors. A guy here once poured gasoline on a neighbors dog and lit it on fire. Everyone knew who did it but nobody witnessed it so he didnt get in trouble over it. He was a NON_HUNTER. So I hope people realise it doesnt matter what a persons hobbies are they can take matters into their own hands....and do it in many different ways. Hell it was probably some punk kid showin off for his friends....haha watch this guys Im gunna shoot the Smiths dog with my dads bow.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I like and have dogs both house and field. It is the responsibility of an owner to keep them contained or under controll. However dogs can get loose and on occasion field dogs run deer. It is the responsibility of a field dog owner to stop this habbit if it forms, otherwise that dog is of little use when he crosses the path of a deer.

There appreas to be two schools of thought on this, those that grossly dislike the thought of dogs running deer and those that are very liberal about it. But the average house dog that gets out is not going to run a deer, but a dog that has been loose for some time will for food.

I once hunted with a guy whos setter ran a deer. After he got him back he beat the gebers out of that dog. Right or wrong it was not my desicion. Well the next time his dog ran a deer he but one shot in front of that dogs nose, that dog did not stop and you know where the next shot went and that was his own dog.

I have seen many dogs run deer and I have had many dogs ruin a good hunt snooping around. Considering the areas I hunt chances are they are someones pet and I can not bring myself to that desicion. But if any dog would get agressive with me I would not have a desicion to make.

But with regards to this issue, this dog was obviously not in the woods and it was a bad choice of the person to do so. Chances are it was a stupid impulse of a kid. But it brings bad attention to our sport.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Matty-NJ said:
Yeah, I dont understand why some people think they can kill another persons pet just because they posess a weapon. :angry:
I dont understand why people cant keep there stupid dog/dogs from running loose.
I dont understand why people who can barely take of themselves think that they can keep pets.
I dont understand why dog owners think its ok to have fido loose just because its a pet.
Its not the dogs fault its the owners. I would say most people who own dogs shouldn't.
Those who get mad at are the ones who let there stupid animals run free.
Keep your stupid dog from running loose and there wouldn't be any problems.
I dont want to hear "sometimes they get loose" Heres a clue, kennel ,fenced yard or a chain. Cant keep them contained then dont get a dog.

·
Registered
468 Posts
humm

We had 21 sheep killed my dogs...I hunted dogs for a month and killed a score of them, including the neighbors big black mutt...catch them on my ground and they get shot, period. When I buried the sheep I dug 2 big holes with the backhoe, one for the sheep and one for the dogs...

BTW- 3 inch mag 12 guages with number 4 shot are better than arrows...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Am I on www.Peta.com? Did I make a wrong point and click. It was a dog! A dog that was not on a leash. Who gives a rats rectum about why the dog was shot or who shot it. It shouldn't even be news due to its insignificancy. If the owner would have lived up to the responsibility that they committed to the dog would not be dead.

Some of you guys need to get off the sensitivity promoting medications or something.

I had a dog in my neighborhood that continously got into everyones garbage. The owner was asked several times to get control of the animal. He claimed that he tried to tie it up but it kept getting loose. He also informed everyone concerned not to worry the dog was friendly. So freakin what, that wasn't the point! I suggested that he build a kennel run for the dog but he did nothing. Then one day the dog came dragging in the yard bleeding from a bullet hole through its chest. Darn thing fell dead right in front of his kids that were playing in the yard. Of course he and the whole family was devistated. Why would anyone shoot our poor little beloved puppy? Because it was running loose, being destructive, and you would not take upon the responsibility to make necessary corrections after being asked numourous times? Could that be why, maybe?

For the record, I did not shoot the dog. I had wacked the heck out of it with a broom stick on several occassions but I had made up my mind during the last time that I had to clean and hose off my patio, that if he got into my garbage one more time, I was either going to kick the neighbors arse or kill the dog.

Leash laws were formed for a purpose folks. Ever been bit by a dog? I have, I've got the 6" scar on my left forearm to prove it. I almost lost the arm due to the infection. Ever see photos of children that have been mauled by somebody's "LOVE". Every dog bites, period. May not bite you or me but it will bite someone. You guys remind me of the activists out in California that fought to ban cougar hunting, until the cougars started to snatch their children off the play grounds. If this dog bit your child, you all would tripp over yourself trying to get to a weapon to kill it.

Just so you don't coin me as a dog hater let me inform you that I used to be a dog trainer for Hunting and Field Trial dogs. I have owned many and have known them to be great companions. But to place a dog at a level equal to a human and act as if it has some right to life as a stray is ludicris.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Who are you guys to take laws into your own hands? Did they start passing out sherrifs badges willie nillie in your towns? Thank God I dont live where you nimrods do.

Dogs can and will get loose, its NOT impossible. Ive owned several dogs over the years, and while for the most part they dont get loose, or cause problems, there have been times when the dog breaks a leash or the dog just gets out of the yard or out from the house. Like I said, NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

You seem to think everything is cut and dry, like dogs can not get out, and if they do, kill them. This is the reasoning, and thought process is rediculous. God forbid you should make a mistake and leave a gate open for two seconds too long and your dog escaped. Maniacs like you are looking for every opportunity to launch an arrow or bullet at a living critter.

If its aggressive, or causing property damage, like lost sheep, I could see where you may have a right. But to be honest, you are more than likely breaking several laws, its childish, and shows you cant handle a situation like an adult!

While dogs dont deserve the same level of reverance as a human. They are still someones pet.

For those of you who are so set on killing dogs, lets use an example here-

H4Elk is a well known good looking lady that all the guys drool over on this site. She owns a black lab, and maybe other dogs. Lets say that one of her children is walking the dog, ON A LEASH, and something happens to where her child lets the dog go. The dog runs off after some animals into your property where you are hunting. You kill it, because it was "running free".

The pretty miss H4 and her devasted kid now have posters all over town looking for their lost pet....you know, the one you whacked, and left for yotes to eat....Would you be man enough to admit your mistake and apologize to the H4? I doubt it....

Post the counties you guys live in, so I know to steer clear of them ok? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
468 Posts
sorry dude, but

"If its aggressive, or causing property damage, like lost sheep, I could see where you may have a right. But to be honest, you are more than likely breaking several laws, its childish, and shows you cant handle a situation like an adult!"

Lost sheep my arse...they broke into the barn and killed them... To heck with the peta like dog love fest laws...

dogs are just animals, put here for us, period.... this nations ridiculous love fest with pets will come to end soon I hope, because it is dehumanizing to humans to give right to animals.

I do not believe any should be abused or mistreated for the sake of doing so..that is wrong. period. But if the animal causes a human issues, then humans come first.

period.

·
Registered
731 Posts
"If its aggressive, or causing property damage, like lost sheep, I could see where you may have a right. But to be honest, you are more than likely breaking several laws, its childish, and shows you cant handle a situation like an adult!"

I worded this part wrong. What I meant is that if its aggressive, or causing damage, like eating sheep, (thats what I meant by lost sheep) I can see where you have a right to handle the situation. No doubt about it. In case of an attack, of course you kill it. You dont have time to make lawful decisions all the time. I understand that.

Im not an unreasonable guy, I understand there are certain circumstances in which killing a dog is the right thing to do.

Unfortunately thats not the way some people are suggesting to go about the matter. They seem to think that a dog on their property is a dead dog. Thats just rediculous, and if people cant take into consideration different circumstances for different situations, should they even have weapons? They dont seem to use common sense or discretion. It just blows my mind. Still wondering what you guys would do in my hypothetical question.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Don't You Love The Innocent Fawns???

I have great yellow lab that I wouldn't want anyone to hurt, I would probably hurt someone if they shot her

On the other hand, I have done it before. I was hunting and a large mut was running a small fawn. I proceeded to put the smack down on it. He was running with a pack and they do not need to be out running deer. At this point they are no better than a wolve or coyote. Also what about the poor fawn; lost, scared, separated from his mom :sad:

People need to keep there pets up and not let them roam. They let there dogs loose because they are to lazy to play with them. I only let her out when she has to go or to play, not to chase deer and rabbits around the neighborhood

Also what about the children. Think about that, what if that dog would have attacked a kid. Then everyone would want to shoot the dog. I was attacked when I was 3 and it isn't any fun.

Think about it.

If you are going to shoot them use a 300 Weatherby Mag, not a bow. :shade:

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
elkhntr1 said:
I dont understand why people cant keep there stupid dog/dogs from running loose.
I dont understand why people who can barely take of themselves think that they can keep pets.
I dont understand why dog owners think its ok to have fido loose just because its a pet.
Its not the dogs fault its the owners. I would say most people who own dogs shouldn't.
Those who get mad at are the ones who let there stupid animals run free.
Keep your stupid dog from running loose and there wouldn't be any problems.
I dont want to hear "sometimes they get loose" Heres a clue, kennel ,fenced yard or a chain. Cant keep them contained then dont get a dog.
!!!

Excellent post!!! I couldnt agree with you more!!! :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 93 Posts