Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am new to archery,
i am going to start with a recurve bow
basically my draw length is 28inches, would a 62inch bow (length of bow from top to bottom) be an okay bow size for me, if not, then what would you reccomend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hello.

Just shooting off the hip, and knowing nothing about you, if you have a genuine and properly-measured 28" draw length (on a lightweight bow with an arrow and decently-aligned face anchor, rather than the mathematical, hand-span, calculation formula), then a 62" bow should do the trick for you. Shorter draw than that, still fine. Longer draw than that, possibly moving to a longer bow.

That said, if you present more info about yourself and what you intend to do with your archery so that the folks here can really sink their teeth into your desires, you may find that many of their suggestions open up some different perspective for your initial bow contemplation.

Here are two excellent sticky-threads worth reading so as to stuff a bit more under your thinking-cap:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1588147
A generic, first bow discussion.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=388848
A draw weight discussion.

Holler back with more questions as they arise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
62" would be fine, I'm sure. Your profile doesn't tell where your from. Try to find an Archery Pro Shop near you, preferably a Traditional one. If you're just starting, going to a pro shop or Traditional club will be a HUGE help for you. They'll help you with your TRUE draw length, a good starting draw weight, a decent beginner bow, etc. I cannot over stress trying to find a Traditional Archery Club for when you're first starting out. I had shot bows for all my life, stick bows, fiberglass, compounds, recurves, but when I decided to hunt Traditional I was easily confused. Joined a club and wallah! instant help! I have belonged to 2 clubs and was never steered wrong. Good luck! And, welcome to the Addiction! Any questions don't hesitate to send me a PM! I aint the Brightest crayon in the box, but I know some!

·
Registered
20,783 Posts
m -

Might help to know what you plan on doing with the bow???

Your description of measuring a bow seems a bit off...

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MOST important is DO NOT over bow yourself. I have no idea about your physical size but start with a 25 # draw wieght, no more, for a 1st time archer.
Work on form first and foremost. Get books & read. There are several advertised here.

·
Registered
777 Posts
62 inches is probably fine. I started a couple of years ago with a bow 58 inches long. I also have a 60 inch bow that I really like. Better grip for me. Someone suggested I needed a longer bow so I got a good deal on a used one of 68 inches long. Noticeably slower than the 60 incher. At a garage sale I found another bow at 66 inches long. Not bad but the grip is not as good as the 60 or 68 inch bow. I really like short bows and have shot a 48 inch bow but the limbs were twisted. My draw length is about 27.

Since bows are measured and rated at 28 inches I think that any bow will work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts