Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the bow Hate the grip...I cant shoot off the riser.

I like Mathews grips.....How am I going to get there ???

jp

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ross

I just posted the exact same thing, please HELP US!

J.P.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
:noidea:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
you could look into that form a grip stuff, or contact one of the gripmakers here on AT, maybe Crackers and see if he can custom make one.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What do you not like about the factory one? A more rounded grip will be much more prone to torque. That is the main reason for the same of the Ross grip, to provide more torque free hand placement and reaction after release. If you like the thicker more rounded grip you may have success contacting a custom grip manufacturer like Loesch.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The issue I have with it is the pain it gives me in my palm. Its block shape of the riser doesnt fit into a rounded hand very well.

J.P.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Loesch dont make one...

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
pblawler said:
A more rounded grip will be much more prone to torque.
I fail to see the physics in that statement. :wink:

Some say the flatter grips give them a more repeatable hand placement, but a wide flat surface is going to be MORE prone to hand torque than a round grip, IMO.

I have done testing with a Shrewd and a factory grip on my SB and my findings differ from yours.

I'm sure after market grips will surface as the Ross line gains in popularity and numbers. Give it a year or two.

·
Registered
725 Posts
take the side plates off and try shooting it, just to see how it feels.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
JP,

Just trade the bow with me, I have just what your looking for:cool::)

Going from past bow experiences:zip: you never liked or could get used to small grips on any bow, trade me now or be destined to struggle with a grip that is uncomfortable forever:boink:

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Bowtech grip used to feel uncomfortable to me but not anymore. Maybe it is too deep in your hand, do you shoot off the pad of your thumb?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol....

I have never liked sideplates or shooting off the riser. I know lots of guys that are better shots than me shoot off the riser so I am not going to argue the fact that its a better way to shoot ....

I just know that I like the feel of haveing something in my hand when I am shooting and the Mathews grip has always felt like home to me. I am just happy that I found a bow that is put together as well as a Hoyt and has the same design as an older Mathews....

I have already had this exact bow but got rid of it because the grip didnt do anything for me. This time I am determined to figure something out weather it be carve my own or find someone who makes a aftermarket grip for the Ross....

jp

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol....

parkerbows said:
Bowtech grip used to feel uncomfortable to me but not anymore. Maybe it is too deep in your hand, do you shoot off the pad of your thumb?

I death Grip the bow......LOL

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Put a wrap of good black rubbery electrical tape on grip, after you remove the side plates, get it at a good electrical store, the name escapes me at the moment but it comes in a red box and is about 1 1/2 " wide, real rubbery and conforms to the shape of your hand, shot it on my C3 and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I went to a shot a couple of weekends ago where they were advertising a "torque-free bow grip". It had a piece that mounted on the riser with swivel joints going back to the grip. It allows someone to grab ahold of the grip, and have the grip cancel out the torque.

I thought to myself "... or, you could just learn to grip the bow correctly"

·
Registered
146 Posts
it is called a mathews you should in vest in to one........lol jk i dont know man you have a problem...:zip:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Try a low grip

Usually, when I find someone who does not like a narrow flat grip it is because he or she is employing a high or medium hand grip. This refers to the angle of the wrist when the bow is held. Notice in the pictures from the link above the bow pressure is applied at the base of the heart line on the thumb side of the palm. Also notice that the fingers are curled but not actually gripping the bow. The virtue of a low grip is that it is more easily repeated when shooting under pressure. Archers who employ such a grip (mostly target guys) prefer a flat grip like the one on your Ross.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts