Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done ready the paper in the Deseret News today and came across an article that just makes you sick. Oh, archery season opened up on Aug. 20 here in Utah.

Mayfield, Utah: At least four cows have been found dead on the hillside of 12-mile Canyon near Mayfield. Witnesses reported seeing at least four more, but investigators are unsure if the deaths are related.

Utah's Division of Wildlife Resources recovered an arrow from the carcass of a cow Saturday, one week into the state's general season archery deer hunt.

"We have one confirmed cow death," said Brad Bradley, DWR spokesman. "We have an arrow and we'd like to get it back to the archer who lost it."

Originally, investigators were questioning people who were known to be on the mountain around noon on Saturday, Bradley said, but another witness claims to have seen the dead cows earlier that day.

"It's changed who we're looking for," he said.

It's pretty bad that some people don't have respect for the hunt when they are out there and think it is a thrill to shoot anything that moves. Now it's going to be harder to get permission from ranchers around that area to hunt on/near their property.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Holy Cow man (no pun intended)! I am innocent! If I shot a cow, I would take the meat. Beef is expensive nowadays!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Bummer, that is what closes the doors for people with a brain. :sad:
Shooting cows what an ingornant moron or morons ! Boy thats a thrill!
The really sad thing is the guy's probably a internet "super buck" hunter, if ya know what I mean. :thumbs_do

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
cows...

Maybe some radical anti-hunting group trying to make us (bowhunters) all look bad! I just have a hard time believing the coincidence of 4 seperate occurrences of accidental cow killings by bowhunters in the same area in the same week. Paranoid? It wouldn't be the first time one of those groups have stooped so low for their "cause". If it was "bowhunters", and I use that term loosely, then way to be stupid and give the activist groups some ammo against us hunters! STUPID!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would beleive that of gun hunters but bow hunters are a lot different breed of hunter. Someone trying to stop hunting by putting bowhunters in a bad light. Misstakes can be made but not 4. My partner shot a black angus bull for a blackbear one foggy morning but he found the rancher told him the rancher put it throw his insurence.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
This happened a few years ago here in PA. Someone apparently decided to see how well they could penetrate in to a cow. Well, farmer came out the next day and miraculously there stood the cow, very much a live with an arrow sticking out of it's side. It was all over the news for lord knows how long.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Accidents happen... But I have a hard time understanding accidental shootings or mistaken targets with a bow. I admit it is common to take some far shots out west. But either way inside 60 yards where most are even much less. How can you mistake a target. I can really not see how a black angus bull could be mistaken as a black bear... Yea maybe it is black and you may not expect a bull to come walking through the woods. But that would have to be one hell of a big black bear...

But I see no way a cow could be mistaken as a deer...

Going back a couple of years at one point before residents and hunters really knew of the growing size of Pa. Elk herd, Elk were shot as deer. People were known to come into towns bragging and showing off the biggest damn deer in the county... Hard to believe that some people can not tell the difference between a deer and a elk!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Behavior and Attitude, and values

It all comes down to attitude and values that have been taught to them as they have grown up. Unfortunately we have over 60% divorce rate in the U.S. and abuse and violence also. So there are alot of nuts out there that are dangerous and no values. Steady :mad:

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
SirWilliam said:
Maybe some radical anti-hunting group trying to make us (bowhunters) all look bad! I just have a hard time believing the coincidence of 4 seperate occurrences of accidental cow killings by bowhunters in the same area in the same week. Paranoid? It wouldn't be the first time one of those groups have stooped so low for their "cause". If it was "bowhunters", and I use that term loosely, then way to be stupid and give the activist groups some ammo against us hunters! STUPID!

There's no coincidence here. What you have is bunch of jackasses who have no business being in the woods. I hope they catch them and really stick it to them. I've hunted in Utah around Monticello the last two years, that is some beautiful country.

We had some idiots like that camped near us a couple years ago during deer season. These idiots saw a couple of dogs and decided to shoot at them. When they wounded one and it ran off they got worried and came over to our camp and asked if they were our dogs. Tried to claim they thought the dogs were yotes. One of the dogs was a jack russell terrier. Yeah those really look like coyotes. The thing is, these backwoods hillbilly dicks thought those dogs were ours and when they wounded one and couldn't hide the kill they realized they were about to get caught into some serious trouble and came up with the coyote story. The woods are full of people like this.

·
Registered
488 Posts
dillershortbow said:
I would beleive that of gun hunters but bow hunters are a lot different breed of hunter.

This is possibly the most elitest thing I read on AT in my short time here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Unfortunately there is very little information. Eight dead cows, one has an arrow in it. Not eight arrows, only one.

We simply have no idea what happened to be pointing fingers yet. Who owned the cows? What killed the others? Who's land were they on, etc. etc.

Could it have been a "hunter" mistakingly shooting a cow? Well sure it could.

It also could have been another property owner/rancher shot the cow after warning the owner multiple times to not allow his cattle to graze and trespass on his/her land.

I just find it extremely odd to find 8 dead cows, and expect the entire blame to be put on hunters. Sounds like foul play here to me and not a "hunter" using a cow for target practice.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
My thoughts exactly!

It has been proven that most of the adds that stopped bear hunting with dogs in Washington State were created by the antis themselves, and that the practices depicted were not by actual hunters. Think about it, they get the publicity and none of the media blame. :angry:

Save a cow, shoot an anti!

SirWilliam said:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Buzzkill said:
This is possibly the most elitest thing I read on AT in my short time here.
Just to defend myself other than my friend who shot a bull i have never heard of a bowhunter shooting cattle can you say the same for rifle hunters .Or do you here bowhunters shooting other hunters or just causeing trouble. I don`t think bowhunters have to defend themselves as a group . Can you say that about gun hunters.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This also reminds me of an incident a few years ago in Nevada. If I remember right, a couple of people were going out and shooting wild horses. I believe dozens were killed and I can't remember if the guys (or gals :D to not be discriminatory) got caught. I myself have never witnessed someone killing something because it just moved (this excludes spiders :wink: ), but if I ever did meet one of those, I would be really pissed and turn them in in a heart beat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts