Archery Talk Forum banner

Something good from something bad

2187 Views 37 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ILLbucknut
Before we start yelling and screaming all out: Watch the video below first...

That is my 2010 Diamond Iceman bow. It's been only 2 months since I got it and I've been raving about that bow. And it deserves it. Look how quite and dead on accurate it is. But it has one flaw: The damn draw stop... In the video above, if you listened, I said target 7. By target 12, I scored about 112 (there were 30 stations, and the high scores were around 280. I could have won this tournament if not ended in top 3). Look at the second video now...

Again, if you hear me, I say I read similar incidents and am not touching the bow. Thanks to a post here by clu_82,Archery Talk: Diamond Iceman Bow Beware I didn't touch the bow, put it in it's case and took it to a pro shop. The draw stop peg got lose and it caused me to over draw. String came loose, bow stuck at full draw. Pro shop also found the spacer between the cam and the limb broke too. The pro shop took care of it, and the bow is back. But I probably will get rid off it asap.

The good news is, after the incident, I got mad and went ahead and purchased a brand new Mathews Z7 Xtreme Tactical... Time to update my signature here... From now on I will be one of those Mathews guys who will be giving you the squinting, evil eyes... Hahaha... No way, I will be nice, but may enjoy teasing my friends who shoot Hoyt... whom I already been teasing anyways... Cool? :shade:
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,051 Posts
The diamond sure was shooting nice, probably just minor fixes and will be good as new. If it was me, I would probably fix it and continue to use it seeing that it was set up nice and shooting good. I sold all of my back up bows and have had my main bow out of commission for about three months now. Looking to get another bow here pretty soon. The down time has been good, caught up on a lot of house chores, but sure do miss shooting.

· Registered
399 Posts
So since you neglected to maintain your fine peice of shooting equipment you are changing brands? Excuse me while I regain my composure! :confused2:

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The diamond sure was shooting nice, probably just minor fixes and will be good as new. If it was me, I would probably fix it and continue to use it seeing that it was set up nice and shooting good. I sold all of my back up bows and have had my main bow out of commission for about three months now. Looking to get another bow here pretty soon. The down time has been good, caught up on a lot of house chores, but sure do miss shooting.
Diamond is already fixed. Thanks to cu_82, I knew not to touch it. That saved the bow and most likely my hand. I'm not comfortable keeping it since there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. I agree with you though, that I need a reliable back-up bow. Before the deer season I will get another bow, but will make sure it won't have a draw stop peg like this one. That limits it to Mathews and Hoyt if I know right...

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So since you neglected to maintain your fine peice of shooting equipment you are changing brands? Excuse me while I regain my composure! :confused2:
Hmmm... Let me look at the manual... Nope, it doesn't say, the draw stop may become loose in 2 months or 6 months... or ever... and the spacer can break for no particular reason... You are excused.

· Registered
399 Posts
Hmmm... Let me look at the manual... Nope, it doesn't say, the draw stop may become loose in 2 months or 6 months... or ever... and the spacer can break for no particular reason... You are excused.
But it does say to check your equipment before and after every shooting session? Hmmmmmmm.......must have missed that part because you were to excited to get out and shoot all those good scores. :wink:

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides...
1- How can you claim I neglected my fine piece of equipment since I own it only 2 months...
2- I posted a link in this very same site where the exact same incident happened to exact same bow to another owner. They discontinued this bow for 2011. Can it be, ehm, the bow has inherit issues?
3- Did I say anything negative about the brand? It's my money, my pleasure, why does it bother you?

· Registered
399 Posts
In all fairness do I think it should have come loose....NO! Have you adjusted it? Should your car ever break down.......NO! Have you ever given it a tune up? My point being that no mechanical parts are indestructable!! Sometimes bows come with loose parts.....it says so right there on the first page where is says to read this first. It has nothing to do with what you say or don't say about the brand.......guys like you are the reason Mcdonalds has to remind us that the coffee inside the steaming cup is HOT!! I mean does somebody really have to hold our hands and guide us every step of the way because we can not (or choose not to) think for ourselves? Sorry to get a little off topic, but hey you asked why it bothers me :smile:

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But it does say to check your equipment before and after every shooting session? Hmmmmmmm.......must have missed that part because you were to excited to get out and shoot all those good scores. :wink:
You are making baseless claims. I check my equipment regularly. I flex my arrows, wax the strings after every use, check the rests alignment... The manual is in front of me. It says, no dry fire, check the strings, check the limbs... Doesn't say inspect every screw if they are loose. Even if I checked the draw stop before I start shooting it, it would tell me nothing because it got loose at 12th shot. To be honest, who the hell would like to own a piece of equipment that would make them paranoid?

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Still recovering I see and trying reverse psychology. Looks like so many parts were damaged on this relatively new bow they might as well have put into the manual to send to dealer every time prior to shooting.

· Registered
399 Posts
Still recovering I see and trying reverse psychology. Looks like so many parts were damaged on this relatively new bow they might as well have put into the manual to send to dealer every time prior to shooting.
LOL, yeah but I'm trying hard... in this case it's not about the bow really. It's none of my business what this guy does, but it would bother me if he was discarding a mathews for a bowtech to.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
LOL, yeah but I'm trying hard... in this case it's not about the bow really. It's none of my business what this guy does, but it would bother me if he was discarding a mathews for a bowtech to.
True, as I stated it is a real nice bow and should be kept for shooting, was dead on. In fact, maybe he could sell it to me for a good price.

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just don't understand why you think me getting a Mathews is a brand switch. I'm excited that I'm getting a Mathews bow and the reason it's now not later is my bow's failure. If my Diamond didn't fail, I still would have added Mathews to my collection, than a Hoyt, than a BowTech Invasion (I have the corresponding e-mails with BowTech inquiring about the Invasion)... It's not about the brand, it is 100% absolutely, yours truly, about the bow.

blazeAR, name your price in a pm, and I will seriously consider it.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I just don't understand why you think me getting a Mathews is a brand switch. I'm excited that I'm getting a Mathews bow and the reason it's now not later is my bow's failure. If my Diamond didn't fail, I still would have added Mathews to my collection, than a Hoyt, than a BowTech Invasion (I have the corresponding e-mails with BowTech inquiring about the Invasion)... It's not about the brand, it is 100% absolutely, yours truly, about the bow.

blazeAR, name your price in a pm, and I will seriously consider it.
Thanks for the offer, but I am seriously waiting to purchase a new mathews (nothing against bowtec or other bows). Just got into bowhunting and 3D again after a few years off doing competitive rifle shooting.

· Registered
9,996 Posts
You are making baseless claims. I check my equipment regularly. I flex my arrows, wax the strings after every use, check the rests alignment... The manual is in front of me. It says, no dry fire, check the strings, check the limbs... Doesn't say inspect every screw if they are loose. Even if I checked the draw stop before I start shooting it, it would tell me nothing because it got loose at 12th shot. To be honest, who the hell would like to own a piece of equipment that would make them paranoid?

Shooting around you would make me more paranoid than your bow.

I have had draw stops come loose on several different bows. Those little screws and draw stops don't have a lot of surface holding them tight. Any bolt or screw on a bow has the potential of coming loose. You may want to keep that in mind since the manuals doesn't tell you everything. Some people can't learn or understand things unless they read it in a book. Some people can use common sense. There is a difference between knowledge and intelligence.

· Registered
100 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a 2010 Iceman last year, brand new. Same thing happend to him within the first 10 shots. He took it to Gander Mountain and Gander contacted Diamond, sent the bow to them, and they sent him a new bow. He took the bow to a local dealer and put it up for sale. He never shot the new one. He said it just scared him too much. They sold it for him and he bought another brand bow. I wonder how many people with the Iceman had the same problem.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.