Archery Talk Forum banner

Something new I tired....turned out to be awesome

1267 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Meleagris1
Just something new I tried a few days ago and wanted to pass along to everyone. There may be someone that has already tried this but anywho, I tried a product called Deer cane (or either Deer cocaine) the other day. I got the gallon jug from Wal-mart at like 5 bucks a jug. There are some old stumps around a field I'm going plant, and the stumps have a real green, thick moss on them. It has rained pretty good over the last few days so I knew the moss would have some good moisture in them, so I poured some of the liquid deer cane on them, and oooooooo boy. I came back 2 days later and the moss was gone and you could tell where the deer had been eating away at the stump. I always thought you were supposed to pour the liquid directly onto the ground and I know it can be poured onto stumps, but I had never tried it on moss that was on the stump, but boy do they like it. I'm sure there are many that already know this, but it was a first for me. I think I have made a new mineral lick:wink:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,313 Posts
They like that stuff pretty good. Ive also bought the bag mineral from feed stores and rake it in the ground to make a mineral site they love this stuff especially during the summer months down here. they are eating alot of greenery and start looking for xtra min.and salts another good way to keep them on your place.they also like molasas either dry bag and raked in or in liquid in a tub.

· Coram Deo
3,288 Posts
I bet it works great. Unfortunately, here's what NM Dept of Game and Fish has to say:

------------------------------
It Is Illegal to:

[huge list of stuff]

• Take or attempt to take game mammals or game birds over
ground baited with any material or scent distributed there to entice
the animals, except quail or turkey on private land. Scent-masking
agents may be used on one’s person, but not to attract big game.
-------------------------------

You're not in NM, so you're safe, but I'd still check game laws.

· Registered
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet it works great. Unfortunately, here's what NM Dept of Game and Fish has to say:

------------------------------
It Is Illegal to:

[huge list of stuff]

• Take or attempt to take game mammals or game birds over
ground baited with any material or scent distributed there to entice
the animals, except quail or turkey on private land. Scent-masking
agents may be used on one’s person, but not to attract big game.
-------------------------------

You're not in NM, so you're safe, but I'd still check game laws.
Gotcha. But I wont be hunting over it, just something I put out for them. Season is a good 3 weeks away, so I'm sure they will have it eat up by then.

· Banned
11,679 Posts
Here salt is considered bait. The GW said if they find a tore up spot they take a sample of the soil. Send it over to the CSI guys and if it comes back salt, you get a ticket. Salt can stick around a long time in the ground. Something else to keep in mind, they try to hide salt by listing it in the ingredients as NaCl on some deer attractants.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
I just tried the deer cane gel about two weeks ago. Went to check it yesterday and was very pleased. The area was smooth as can be, it appeared they had been licking it while it was still on the surface and there was a circle of droppings all around it. I am a believer.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Here salt is considered bait. The GW said if they find a tore up spot they take a sample of the soil. Send it over to the CSI guys and if it comes back salt, you get a ticket. Salt can stick around a long time in the ground. Something else to keep in mind, they try to hide salt by listing it in the ingredients as NaCl on some deer attractants.
Very true. If you think that you can maintain a mineral lick all year and then just stop putting it out a few weeks before the season, think again. The soil will still be saturated for quite some time, and if you get caught, you'll be ticketed in states that don't allow bait. I worked for the NYS DEC for a number of years and saw more than one guy get busted this way. Its extremely easy to test the soil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.