Archery Talk Forum banner

Son’s first deer

3021 70
Youth season this weekend, took my son out on Saturday night for his first bowhunt. This following his 9 mile cross country practice. He was a bit nervous 20’ in the air at first. But gained some confidence after a bit. Not much was moving most of the evening and at 10 til 6 a small buck strolled into the area. He worked way towards us, at first my son couldn’t see him and once he did, it was game on. The deer worked his way towards the stand and to a spot 19 yards in front of the stand. My son attempted to draw his bow and couldn’t pull it back, we’d increased his draw weight recently and apparently it was too much in the heat of the moment. No issues during practice though. I told him to just give it a hard pull, he did and got it done. Just in time as the deer entered a lane and he settled the pin for the shot. The shot was high, but got the job done. A proud dad moment for sure. My FIL is in town and the head is going back to be mounted since he’s a taxidermist. A small 8 to add to the wall.

Plant Hunting Deer hunting Tree Hat
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29,840 Posts
That had to be a very exciting and happy moment for you two to share. This weekend my nephew posted a photo that his middle son got his first deer as well, a doe with archery gear. What a nice time to share in the early season.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Congrats to you both!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
1,119 Posts
Hooked for life! Congratulations, young man!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts