Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well right out of the pack I was suprised at how small they seamed, They were alittle bit of a challange to put together due to the small VERY sharp blades. When all assembled they looked good, The tips on all blades fit together nicely and the head seemed very tough.

So I had to shoot it. I will say They fly EXACTLY like my field tips, I have a bag target that I recover year after year, at the end of each 3d season right before whitetail season, I sacrafice the bag and send some practice broadheads into it to make sureeverything is all good. I have NEVER had a pass through on this target, Not with muzzy 3 blade, not with thunderheads, not with field tips, NEVER.

My first shot with this thing sliced throgh this target like it was made of jello. It sounded awesome. It just made the cleanest slicing noise as it passed through the target effortlessly. I found the arrow 20 yards behind the target in a corn field stuck in a corn stalk.

There was absolutely no damage to the head whatsoever!

I should add... My setup is relitively week, I shoot 62lb draw, 255fps, 55ft lbs of ke.

This broadhead would make very quick work of any game animal.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So time for the 2x6...

I decided a waterlogged 2x6 sitting next to the shop was about the best way to really test the tip of this little sucker.

I fired it once into the 2x6 from 20 yards away. I didnt get a pass through, and the insert and knock of the arrow were toasted, but the head held together pretty dang good.

It penitrated to the insert. and there was no way of pulling the arrow, so I had to take the 2x6 over to the bandsaw to cut the tip free. To my suprise the tip looked pretty dang good. The verey tips of the blades were slightly rolled over, but other than that it was still sharp. This blade looked no worse than any of my "Been through Deer" muzzys.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So my final thoughts are "Im sold" I love this head. My muzzys are gone. I will definately be shooting these heads this year.

The cut on contact was just what my slow arrows needed to insure a pass through. If you want to see these things in action... The is a small video clip on the ABC website that shows a complete pass through on a black bear, the arrow actually continues after the bear hit to pass through both sides of a steel 55 gallon bait barrel!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Thanks, I may just have to try some of these out this year. I have the free coming, and plan on buying a pack to play with.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Now these are the types of threads I like...product presentation, tested and pictures followed by a conclusion...excellent work JP. I just broadhead tuned my rig today with my head of choice, but tomorrow I am trying 3 other types of heads and this will be one of them. I also agree that you have to be pretty careful assembling these things to get everything lined up correctly and not cut.
Tell me how the ferrule held up after your 2x6 test?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Thanks for the review. IMO people are not getting the nut tight enough if they are coming apart and have gaps between the blades.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ferel and collar are oin perfect shape, I dont know if the lighter (75gr) heads will take the abuse the same since the ferrel is aluminum in those but I can speek for this head... two new blades and one really good sharpening on the other... and this thing would be back in the killin' business. (Which could be expected out of any head after such a shot)

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definatelyy assemble with a wrench:wink:
Hooked said:
Thanks for the review. IMO people are not getting the nut tight enough if they are coming apart and have gaps between the blades.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Here is my buddys Bh testing site. He has dona a complete thourough rewiev on the ABC Sonic's and even got them to make the blades even stronger. I have used these heads for 2 yrs here in Montana huntin Elk and Deer awsome flight oout of them and very deadly. "It dose say right on the package dont shoot thru a Bag Target " Check out my buddys site for more BH Testing also .
www.btreviews.com it only takes a few min to register and alot of great awsome info on tests done on Bh's or all kinds. It is under fixed replacement bald Testing section.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I HATE ABC and this SONIC head!!

I was shooting my new 7595 XT's decided to see if they fly like field points.... picked it up -screwed it on ..DAMN! 2 arrows ruined! Gee THANKS!!! They fly just as good at 35 yards as the company claims! Only if they made a 125!:sad: :cry:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
JP - That sells me on the durability, and effectiveness! I'm impressed with your little exposition. I think after that anyone can be confident in the head...

...and I think that the company owes you a pack of 'em.:wink:

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Hooked said:
The instructions say to tighten it up with a wrench.

I wonder how many people complaining actually took the time to read that.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2005Ultramag said:
JP - That sells me on the durability, and effectiveness! I'm impressed with your little exposition. I think after that anyone can be confident in the head...

...and I think that the company owes you a pack of 'em.:wink:
I think they gave away more broadheads than any other BH Manufacturer ever. So I decided to pay for a set to help offset the cost. I already got mine orderd and paid for. I am however sending them my reciept and packaging, because they will send me a free hat if I do. Cant beat that deal right there!

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Roger that! :)

I can't wait to test mine tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
jimposten said:
I think they gave away more broadheads than any other BH Manufacturer ever. So I decided to pay for a set to help offset the cost. I already got mine orderd and paid for. I am however sending them my reciept and packaging, because they will send me a free hat if I do. Cant beat that deal right there!
I am doing the same thing. I couldnt imagine getting something to try for free and coming on here and running it in the dirt.:confused:

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Hooked said:
I am doing the same thing. I couldnt imagine getting something to try for free and coming on here and running it in the dirt.:confused:
It tells me the man has a great deal of faith in the product's ability to sell itself.

Looking at what's been said, and seen here... he's right.:)

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
I met the ABC team, and the head honcho, and they are all great guys selling a decent product.

I tried the heads two years ago, and had marginal to less than perfect results. They were a one shot head for me. If you missed or hit the animal, the head was toast. Broke into lots of little pieces, or blades rolled back and sprung the ferrule. Maybe they have made them better since then. They did fly extremely well, and in my penetration tests they did well, but not any better than the Ulitmate Steelheads or Slick Tricks. I do think they have potential, but I was a little leery of them once I concluded my tests. I just have found another head I have a lot more confidense in now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts