Archery Talk Forum banner

Sore Feet from Hiking, PLEASE HELP

9679 Views 32 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Ancient Archer
ok, im getting ready to pack into the wilderness, but i cant go another year with sore feet. I have been hiking and i seem ok after these workouts, but it never fails, when i get out there and hike in 6-8 miles my feet are so sore. I have nice boots, but thats about it. My question is, what do you guys do to prevent soreness or blisters while hiking? please help.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Good boots, but broken in well and proper fitting. Nice, cushiony socks are a plus. A keep some bandage tape with you. Once you start to feel a "hot spot", stop walking, tape the blister-to-be, and resock and reboot.

· Registered
34 Posts
buy the absolute best socks that you can get, and keep several pairs in your pack. keep some moleskin in your pack to use if you do develop blisters. a good pair of inserts or orthotics can make a huge difference also. sore feet can ruin an otherwise great trip. i would also do some experiment with different boots. not all are created equal. everyones feet are a different shape and one pair of boots that are good boots might not fit your feet right.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
buy the absolute best socks that you can get, and keep several pairs in your pack. keep some moleskin in your pack to use if you do develop blisters. a good pair of inserts or orthotics can make a huge difference also. sore feet can ruin an otherwise great trip. i would also do some experiment with different boots. not all are created equal. everyones feet are a different shape and one pair of boots that are good boots might not fit your feet right.
Agreed. Have you tried other boots? What might be "good" for some, may not be for you. Good advice too about moleskin or even wrap and tape to help with hotspots and blisters. Try a couple different boots, get them broke in, and have a great hunt!
Good luck!

Lien2

· Registered
3,349 Posts
I go to Alaska every other year. Prior to my trip I walk as much as I can barefoot to toughen up me feet. I can walk (even run) on my gravel driveway before I go. I also do lots of walking with a pack. I work my way up to 50 pounds. It works for me.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i've actually been walking of bare ground as well to toughen them up, but i didnt know if it would work. what is moleskin and where do i get it?? My boots are danners. I've always had good luck with them lasting a long time, but maybe it is the boots. I had a pair of lowa's and they were really uncomfortable to me.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
Same here, going on a Adirondack backcountry hunting/camping trip next month... need to figure my boots out. I have a pair of wolverines that are rugged as heck, but my feet get sore after a mere mile or two of walking.

· Registered
632 Posts
Is it like the bones in your foot are sore, or the bottom surface of your feet are sore?

If the bones are sore, it may be plantar fasceitis(sp?). I got it wearing some BPS snake proof boots in rocky Texas country hunting turkeys. Finally got rid of it by loosing wt and getting Red Wing Shoes. Basically has to do with putting a strain on your arch. Good support that fits your foot, but doesn't try to change it. It can be tricky. I got a friend to make some orthotics for me, and they made it worse. For me it's the Red Wings.

If it's the surface of the bottom of your foot, then the thermax liner socks are the ticket, inside some good thicker socks.

Good Luck,

Slowhandstl

· Registered
3,771 Posts
Try wearing liner socks, they keep your main sock from rubbing and forming a blister.
+1

I have had good luck with Injinji toe socks and merino wool socks over them.

My second choice is Poly pro liners with wool socks.

Try changing socks mid-day, soaking your bare feet in streams, Duct tape over problem hot spots before they give you any issues.

Bodyglide on trouble spots works good too

internal soreness, evaluate your foot bed in the boot. Try Superfeet insoles (I use the green).

Most important know what boot/sock combo works before you even get to the hills. Wear 'em at work, or around home.

check this guy out:
http://www.philmaffetone.com/fr_bfixfeet.cfm
Good luck.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
I train my feet by walking on hot coals and kick boxing porcupines.:boxing: No really I changed to better socks and boots with more arch support. It worked for me.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.