Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting rh for 20 years, I went lh a couple weeks ago. After shooting about a week I got real sore around my left shoulder blade and at my left pec right at the edge of my armpit. I quit shooting for a week and everything felt better, started back tonight and after just a few shote the soreness at the edge of my armpit was back.

What am I doing wrong?? will it just take more time?

many thanks

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
what are you doing wrong??
getting old like me?

Sorry just i've been getting sore on occasion too...I just chalk it up to going over the hill.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
What Poundage are you shooting, are you right arm strong left eye dominant?
(reason for change)? this being the case you have to be very conservative with working up your draw weight be sure to stretch the muscles passively before shooting and after they warmed up again, after a long session when you are all warmed up is best, (after you have healed), check on the health and fitness thread there is some good archery specific exercises there be dilligent in doing them and building strength in your left side, but do is slow with low weight high reps to prevent injury.

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
you don't think you tore your rotator cuff or something?
Fairly common shoulder injury.

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am right arm strong, left eye dom.

I am shooting a Diamond Black Ice at 60 lbs

Shot about 30 arrows today. Not sore around shoulder blade, just around the shoulder itself, mostly at edge of armpit. most pain when drawing.

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked in the health and Fitness section, did some armcircles.

They hurt left arm!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Try this

1. Make sure your shoulder is low when you shoot, not raised. Sometimes this causes soreness in the area you described.

2. Take two of your favorite pain relievers or use a cream before you shoot until you get back in shape for the season.

3. Lower your poundage 5 pounds until you get use to it and after a month or less, raise your poundage back back to it's original setting.

4. Make sure your bow's physical weight is not outrageous, like 15 pounds. Most bows with everything weigh about 8 pounds, some a little more.

You have probably have already thought of all of the above, but just use this as a check list.

Good luck r302 :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts